cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram 2500 6.4 gas Towing 5th wheel.

tuvok42
Explorer
Explorer
I'm trying to find information about towing a 10k or less 5th wheel with my Ram short bed 2500 gas 6.4. I don't have air bags on the truck but will add them if necessary. I'm concerned about the coil spring and there impact on towing. I can always buy a TT but I wanted a better towing trailer.
25 REPLIES 25

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry, late to the subject.
We just traded a 2016 Ram 6.4 for a new Ram 6.4. The 16 Ram towed a fifth wheel to Alaska, around Western U.S. and to Florida and back to North Idaho, and it did just fine. We averaged 8.5 MPG hand calculated towing.
The new truck just finished a trip of 2900 miles through the Western U.S. and the Oregon coast---averaged 9.6 MPG hand calculated.
Our trailers weighed between 10,000 and 10,300 (Momma's shoes weighed a lot!!).
We were happy with the 16, but the 2023 Ram does a better job in our opinion.
See ya out there

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Has nothing to do with the 2 trucks being compared. Not part of the equation. Although 10ish mpg out of a 3rd Gen diesel (or most any diesel of the last 15+ years) towing a 10k 5ver is avg/reasonable and tells me you drive quite “conservatively.”
And based on that I could wrap my head around 10mpg towing the same trailer with a new 6.4 8speed gasser. As in, not “that” far off and maybe achievable driving for mpgs.
But 22mpg, bobtail, out of the same truck is a pipe dream.
Although I bet ole Back of the Pack/Slowmover could “almost” make that happen with his widely publicized hyper-miling techniques!

Reality is, the empty mpgs claimed are not an average or overall or repeatable except in maybe the most very controlled and advantageous situations. Would love to get on that bandwagon, but the 3 or 4 dozen gasser 1/2 and 3/4 tons I’ve had over the last 20 years And the million or so miles accumulated tell me otherwise.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
TravelinDog wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Martyn wrote:
I stand by what I said, because it is true. If it doesn’t conform to accepted ‘standards’ that is nothing to do with me. My 2019 hemi gets about the same MPG towing my 5er as my old 2004 Cummins. I was surprised when it worked out that way, but it did.

Comparing a modern vehicle to a 15 year old vehicle has little value.
A lot of innovation occurs in 15 years.
Any 2019 vehicle is superior to its 2004 version.

That's comparing apples to oranges. Those 2 trucks are not even remotely close.

It's quite common for owners of todays gas powered truck to compare the performance to yesteryears diesel. Nothing wrong with it as long as its' presented as such.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Martyn wrote:
I stand by what I said, because it is true. If it doesn’t conform to accepted ‘standards’ that is nothing to do with me. My 2019 hemi gets about the same MPG towing my 5er as my old 2004 Cummins. I was surprised when it worked out that way, but it did.

That's comparing apples to oranges. Those 2 trucks are not even remotely close.
Just say no to the payload police :C

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting discussion thus far.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ksss wrote:
22 mpg out of 3/4 ton hemi? What does fuelly.com post? 14 unloaded? Your posting 22 mpg, a half ton hemi doesn't reliably get that. I think you forgot to "carry the one" doing the math. Even in a place with no hills and at sea level, your not reliably getting 22 mpg. Short of being pulled by a tow truck, that aint happening.

2003 cummins vs 2022 gas. Obvioulsy the cummins has more data points but the 6.4 truck here seams typical and accurate

cummins

Gas
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lantley wrote:
Martyn wrote:

Not sure why you’d say there’s little value in the comparison. Of course there’s advancements. But apple to apples the mpg comparison is valid. And 10mpg towing a 10k 5ver with a 3rd Gen Cummins is realistic and within range of what is expected. However at the same speeds and conditions one would expect to get max fuel mileage like Martyn is claiming out of the new Hemi, the old Cummins would do better than 10. More like 13. Based on my 200k miles of ownership of a 3rd Gen Dodge diesel.
The towing mileage is not near as laughable as the bobtail mpg claims.
My 6.4/8HP car with 3.09 gears, at about half the weight and twice as aerodynamic “can” get 22mpg + average if one were to clock it on some flat 55-60mph highway. It won’t get 22mpg avg even doing the speed limit on the freeway (70-80mph). Avg overall is around 19mpg. Zero chance any HD gasser pickup, new or old, gets 22 mpg or even anywhere near that regardless of speed or conditions unless the conditions are downhill with a tailwind. Lol
Yes gasser mpgs have increased a fair amount since 10-20 years ago. As has power and comfort. Whereas the mpg on light/med duty class 2-5 diesel trucks has stayed about the same since they got to be quite capable about 20 years ago. Except the early tier IV emissions models took a big hit in mpgs for a few years until the mfgs made the after treatment more efficient. Now they have way more power and gears than 20 years ago and still maintain similar mpg numbers.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
22 mpg out of 3/4 ton hemi? What does fuelly.com post? 14 unloaded? Your posting 22 mpg, a half ton hemi doesn't reliably get that. I think you forgot to "carry the one" doing the math. Even in a place with no hills and at sea level, your not reliably getting 22 mpg. Short of being pulled by a tow truck, that aint happening.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Martyn wrote:

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Correct. Only the people who somehow get 4mpg better than what the mfg stated highway fuel economy is can also magically make the same vehicle more efficient(fuel consumption wise) than a diesel.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Martyn wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

10.5mpg? Roflmao

If you say so! Every tow trip with the old Cummins and with this 2019 Hemi, I religiously keep track of mileage - not the computer, but by topping up and calculating. On highway and not towing I can often get over 22 with the Hemi. The old Cummins would struggle to get 16.

If you doubt me, please fly to Florida and I will give you a demonstration....

While I don't claim to know your actual MPG.
It's not likely that a 6.4 hemi is getting better MPG's than a diesel.
It is simply not the results or experience of most gasser owners
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:

10.5mpg? Roflmao

If you say so! Every tow trip with the old Cummins and with this 2019 Hemi, I religiously keep track of mileage - not the computer, but by topping up and calculating. On highway and not towing I can often get over 22 with the Hemi. The old Cummins would struggle to get 16.

If you doubt me, please fly to Florida and I will give you a demonstration....
Our Website

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
ScottG wrote:

Good info. What gearing do you have?