cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram fuel mileage

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would like to know a ball park MPG figure for a newer Ram 2500 diesel, towing a trailer and empty.
I don't want to start a typing war about which rig is the best. It looks like Hemi's are in short supply, but diesels are available for a price.
Thanks
22 REPLIES 22

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am a hyper miler. By gently driving this week around the Valley I am getting 22.6 mpg. The engine is breaking in, but that means slowing well before stops and easy acceleration.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new ride. Black is my favorite color in a vehicle - for the 30 minutes itโ€™s clean after you wash it. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've got a 32' long box travel trailer that weighs 9500 fully loaded. 2 adults, 3 kids, a topper and some **** in the bed. Usually get about 11.5 mpg towing, no faster than 68 mph for the most part.

In the southern PA mountains it'll drop to 11 or upper 10s.

No trailer and nothing in the bed it'll get 22 at highway speeds with no traffic.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would get that mileage in writing, with the guarantee if you didn't get it they would refund the additional fuel cost.
BET their tune would change really quick.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Wow! Beauty rig! Iโ€™m partial to black Dodges thoughโ€ฆ.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I found the rig I wanted --- a 2023 Ram 6.4 black, Laramie with brown interior. The sales department said I will get 42 MPG at highway speeds and 27 towing!!!!!!!!! In fact, the mileage is So good, they can't even print it on the window sticker!!!!
O.K. Maybe the mileage is inflated a bit. The truth is, the truck I found was just dropped off at the dealer, and I was first in line for it.
I actually thought I wouldn't fine a gasser I wanted, so I was asking about the fuel mileage. Thanks all------
See ya out there

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks, Jimnlin. Just to be clear, the 27,000 # is truck and rv.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
fj12ryder wrote:
Yeah, it's like most gas mileage threads: the first liar doesn't stand a chance. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yup, and the claims get wilder as the claimants get older (and drive slower and spend more time obsessing over the mpg readouts when they should be watching the road, lol)
But just like my dad used to sayโ€ฆ.most men lie about 3 things. The size of the fish they caught, the gas mileage they get in their new truck and the size of their wienerโ€ฆ.

Me, I just leave one little display in the corner (to answer the other guys weird question recently about whatโ€™s the best readouts to keep on your dash displayโ€ฆlol) with avg mpg.
To remind me how expensive it is to do 95mph all day in a truck with 37โ€ tires and too tall of gears! Hahaha
Btw, last road trip (bobtail) yielded right at 14mpg on the readout over 3000+miles. Corrected for tire size and speedo error with gps, is actual bit over 15mpg.
Average over the last 70k miles since someone hit the reset on the second trip odometer is 13.8, so high 14s.
It was pulling down 16 ish driving around the CO front range (slower freeway speeds on average).
Put stock tires and suspension on it and those numbers go up by about 3mpg across the board. (Except for towing, less gain would be realized but same %).

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Cptnvideo wrote:
Jeez, a bunch on here getting better mpg than me, and I try to stay under 65 mph while towing. I usually get between 8 & 9 mpg pulling our 42' fiver, total weight 27,000 pounds.
But I'm not complaining, we had a 40' and 43' diesel pushers that got at best 7 mpg staying under 60 mph.

Thats great mpgs for that weight.
Towed for a living in the '70s/'80s with one ton drw 460/454 carburetor big block gazz hogs. Fully loaded 18k-20k GN flatdeck trailers legally ran in the 4-6 mpgs.
I'm still amazed how fuel efficient/strong towing the LDT diesel are now days vs those old LDTs of that era.

Those better mpgs reported come from much lighter weight trailers and to some extent truck brands/year models.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, it's like most gas mileage threads: the first liar doesn't stand a chance. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Jeez, a bunch on here getting better mpg than me, and I try to stay under 65 mph while towing. I usually get between 8 & 9 mpg pulling our 42' fiver, total weight 27,000 pounds.
But I'm not complaining, we had a 40' and 43' diesel pushers that got at best 7 mpg staying under 60 mph.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Blazing Zippers wrote:
Thanks to all----- This gives me an idea as to what to expect.
For note, the trailer I tow is a Outdoor 24RKS that grosses out at 9995 lbs.
It looks like I could expect about 10 to 12 MPG towing.
The last diesel I had was a Ford 6.0. It usually only went to and from the dealer for repairs, with an occasional camp trip squeezed in between. I've bypassed deisels since then, but the truck shortage has me peeking at them.

Well whatever you do, donโ€™t drive a new diesel of any flavor unless you brought your checkbook and are ready to use it. Youโ€™ll go from peeking at it to taking selfies and posting about the big boner you have while driving something that would pull your old 6leaker WITH the trailer hooked up to it better than the old truck drove home from the dealer empty after the 6th or 9th cab removal! Lol.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
20 empty.
Around 11-12 with 24 foot trailer.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks to all----- This gives me an idea as to what to expect.
For note, the trailer I tow is a Outdoor 24RKS that grosses out at 9995 lbs.
It looks like I could expect about 10 to 12 MPG towing.
The last diesel I had was a Ford 6.0. It usually only went to and from the dealer for repairs, with an occasional camp trip squeezed in between. I've bypassed deisels since then, but the truck shortage has me peeking at them.