cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2016 AF811SB..What is 60 amp circuit breaker under step for?

thealexdexter
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for the easiest way to wire in an 800w invertor into a 2016 Arctic Fox 811SB. The fuse block/main circuit breaker panel seems totally full and not easy. Going straight to battery looks a real pain as well. There is some 6awg wire coming from the circuit breaker area out to under the plastic bin under the step to the upper bed. It goes into a 60 amp circuit breaker then back to main circuit breaker area. It measures 12v on both sides of the 60 amp breaker. I'm thinking this is the main cable coming in from the batteries into the unit and the 60 amps is like the main house breaker.

I'd like to tap off one side of this with 8gage wire and mount the invertor right next to it.

Anyone know for sure what that breaker is for? Better idea where to tap power on this unit?

My other easy option is the 8awg wire powering the jack controller. I could easily tap power and ground right at the jack box and go to the inverter. Pretty unlikely I would ever use the jacks and invertor at the same time. dumb?

thanks
------------------------------------------------
2015 All Terrain GMC Sierra 4x4 CC Duramax
2016 Arctic Fox 811SB
6 REPLIES 6

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
This is a main auto-resetting circuit breaker for the 12 volt DC, not for 120 volt AC.
You need to add-in losses in the inverter.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
thealexdexter wrote:
I'm thinking this is the main cable coming in from the batteries into the unit and the 60 amps is like the main house breaker.

I have no clue about your camper wiring -- but it still seems a little strange to me that a main breaker would not be in the breaker box (or very close).
I suppose you could check that it is THE main breaker by turning it off.
Cal

thealexdexter
Explorer
Explorer
I get that 800 w needs up to a 60 amp fuse. I have no desire to run that high. It’s just that I own it and no need to buy another. The 15a fuse is a fail safe. 15(12)=120x. So x=1.5 amps at 120v avail before blowing fuse. Tv rated at 20 watts so .7 amps. Blue ray players are about the same. So 15amp fuse may be a bit in be small side, probably bump that to 20 which is still within the current draw of wire with tv blue ray and woofer running.

Am I missing anything?

Power wise I think I’m fine. Just need best location to tap. Seems maybe I’ve already found it short of a major job getting back to battery.
2016 Arctic Fox 811SB

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Look at the power requirements for the TV and the blue ray player.
I am guessing you could get by with a 200 watt inverter.
I tapped off by TV antenna power for booster power supply for light loads.
Look in your 12 volt DC power distribution panel for a fuse dedicated to TV receptacle and antenna.
The 800 watt inverter will need larger then a 15 amp fuse even for light load.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

thealexdexter
Explorer
Explorer
It is 800 watts continuous. I really only plan to use it for a small led TV and maybe blue ray player. I was going run an 8awg wire to a new 6 terminal fuse block from wherever I tap it from. Off of the fuse block is a two 15 amp fuses each with 8 awg wire. One to the invertor. The other to a 12v 125w max subwoofer. 8awg wire is good for 40 amps or so. I'll be running roughly 10amps from the woofer and maybe 10 from invertor, I doubt I'll ever load it that much. call it 25 for good measure. Easily within the single 8awg wire feeding the new circuit block.

I wouldn't expect to be running the subwoofer while running the jacks so the 8 awg feeding jacks should be sufficient. Not sure what's all on the other 60 amp breaker, probably the whole house. Potential to be running other stuff with tv/woofer on. That's a 4 or 6 awg wire rated much higher. Not likely I'll be using another 30+ amps on that at the same time. Both still seem like viable locations to keep the job easy. Am I over looking a better location to get power?
2016 Arctic Fox 811SB

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
There is normally a large rated circuit breaker to protect the wiring in the rig.
Your 800 watt inverter, is it peak or continuous rated?
How much load are you going to draw from it?
#8 would be a little light for full 800 watts. You could increase size of wire to 60 amp and then tap there. Your jacks could be source, but they may have fuse or circuit breaker near the battery as well. This would need larger wire as well.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow