Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AC problem

dpgerson
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks,

My air conditioner is not working. When I turn it on the engine hums but the fan doesn’t blow and no cold air comes out. Any ideas about how to proceed before I take it into the repair place? I’m about to takeoff for a trip and I would sure like to seeing to be working. Don’t have time to go to put it in the shop.

Thanks,,

Dan
2004 Alpenlite Sante Fe 11.5 with slideout
2006 F350 V10 with camper package and air bags
5 REPLIES 5

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
dpgerson wrote:
When I turn it on the engine hums but the fan doesn’t blow and no cold air comes out.

Truck A/C or the camper A/C?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

vern_kelly
Explorer
Explorer
Try running the fan without the air conditioner. If you get the same symptom (fan not running) sometimes spinning the fan by hand with a stick may get it going until you stop it. Remove the shroud on top of the air conditioner and usually a sheet metal panel. Unplug from shore power before you proceed.

There are usually two capacitors. The big one has connections for fan, herm, and ground. Clean connections and try again. Should be slip spade connections. Take a picture or write down a diagram for which wire goes where. Test capacitors with a meter. They are labeled on the side for micro farads. Good multimeter needed that has this feature. Some are riveted spade connections on top of the capacitor and these can become loose also like mine was! Soldering the spade male connector on top of the capacitor to the rivet may fix if found loose and the cap tests good. Otherwise replace capacitors with new one at a time and retest.

I bought a spare 15 years ago and have not had to use it yet but I got it!
1998 2500 Dodge V10 3.55 Quad cab. Lance 5000 camper 9'10" and tow 17.5 ft Larson Boat

Phil_C
Explorer
Explorer
It may use a capacitor in the start circuit, these can and do go bad and will cause this. I is a very easy fix to replace one, you really do not have to worry too much about getting the exact value either just close. a quick Google search should pull up plenty of what I am talking about here.

Sometimes you can just look at it and see that is out of shape, busted or leaking.

Phil
Phil
2016 Artic Fox 996
2004 Dodge 3500 C CC DRW 6sp
2013 1860 Crestliner Jet

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Get access to the fan. Apply power. Spin the fan. That, so far, I've had to do once per year (after winter storage).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

agwill
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the motor is froze up. Try taking cover off and if you can oil the bearings of fan. WD40 might work for a few weeks.
al