cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery acid crud on top of battery

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Upon opening the hood last w/e while changing oil and fuel filters, I noticed said topic heading on top of the left battery. Said "This isn't good". Spoke w/ dealer and asked if battery was covered under warranty and he said yes but (always is isn't there?) only if battery is kaput. I can bring it by and they can do a load test and I could also opt for them to do a battery service to the tune of 30 bucks to clean the posts/terminals. Anyways, am not sure what would cause the crud to be there and what do you all think?
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
25 REPLIES 25

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Arctic Fox trailer has (2) Interstate 6V, this year when I pulled it out of storage, the tops of the batteries was a mess. I removed both batteries and cleaned them up, cleaned the terminals on the wires and put it all back together. It took a couple of hours total and should be good for a couple of years. I need to replace a couple of the wire ends next time I service it.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dodge guy wrote:
There are only about 3 or 4 battery manuf. each seller puts their name on the battery.
Yes they are all junk, even the new AGM’s don’t last much more than 3-4 years. I bought one of the newer AGM’s for my Excursion 10 years ago. It was still in it and working perfect when I sold it in March!

I think it's luck of the draw for the most part and selective memory for some. I don't remember NOT having to replace batteries, either my dad in the 80's or myself once I was growed up, in the 90s until now.

I can think of 2 instances of "bad" batteries" in the last 20 years or so. 01 Ram, original battery went to battery heaven 3 years later.
Optima Red tops, bought one for the boat, lasted a year, got warranty new one, thought maybe because I just unhooked it from the boat for about 4 months an no maintainer it died. Got a total of 4 batteries for the price of 1, each a year apart basically and #2 and 3 were maintained religiously in the boat. Battery #4 got pulled and put into the old Jeep, got neglected mostly, never driven, charged, once in a while then never for a few years. It lasted 7 years? or so. Same time, a new, maintained, yellow top bit the dust in under 2 years.

Those aside, I can think of a dozen or more batteries that lasted as long or are still going longer than they should right now. Including the 2 original batteries in the 07 Ram. They got the RTV treatment for leaky posts at about 6 years old. Got swapped for a couple used AGMs that needed a home at 7 years but still worked ok at that point.
Those 2 "used" Odyssey AGMs are still in the truck now and they started life in the boat in 2008 and 2010 iirc.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
There are only about 3 or 4 battery manuf. each seller puts their name on the battery.
Yes they are all junk, even the new AGM’s don’t last much more than 3-4 years. I bought one of the newer AGM’s for my Excursion 10 years ago. It was still in it and working perfect when I sold it in March!

I didn't think there were that many manufacturers left in the US. I've learned over time Johnson Controls makes batteries for many familiar retail brands. The last set of Interstate batteries I bought for my trailer were made by Johnson according to the dealer. He said Interstate subbed out their lower price point to Johnson. Who knows?

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
thomasmnile wrote:
Boy batteries in general just ain't what they used to be. Just returned home from taking my son in law to get a replacement battery for his 2018 Rav 4. Deader than h*LL and they haven't had it 2 years. Nope, they're not what they used to be and the price? OMG!

I've always had good luck with motorcraft batteries but that may not be the case anymore

I would say just a case of bad luck.
I just looked back at my maintenance record for the 2001 Ram I sold the end of June this year, I replaced the batteries the end of September 2012! Those batteries were 6-3/4 year old, and would start the truck easily after setting for up to a month! Used MOPAR factory batteries from the dealer $89 ea. after 10% discount coupon. Sold the truck with just over 314,000 miles.

9/29/12 253,050 New Batteries MOPAR BB027750AA
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I use
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
thomasmnile wrote:
Boy batteries in general just ain't what they used to be. Just returned home from taking my son in law to get a replacement battery for his 2018 Rav 4. Deader than h*LL and they haven't had it 2 years. Nope, they're not what they used to be and the price? OMG!

I've always had good luck with motorcraft batteries but that may not be the case anymore
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:
That type of buildup is from a leaking battery. There is a small crack around the battery post that is allowing the gasses to escape and the resulting crud buildup. Tell them the battery is leaking. They have a failure code for that and can replace a leaking battery even though the battery may test good. And tell them to replace both so the system functions properly.

I actually replaced my wifes Motorcraft battery this morning. I took it to the Ford parts dept. and that's when I noticed the plastic delaminated from the negative terminal. I did receive a free replacement.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
After cleaning up the batteries, I’ve used RTV gasket sealant around the base of the battery post. That worked decent too.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Wild_Bill_888
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of grease get a longer lasting seal with100 % silicon rtv.

Wait several hours for the battery to depressurize.
Gently wash with a low velocity flow of water to avoid splashing.
Remove cable, wash again, use high speed water to clean out cracks.
Allow to dry completely, use compressed air if available.
Apply a bead of silicone around the terminal. Wearing a rubber glove press the rtv into the plastic around the terminal to fill cracks. Apply another bead around the terminal and reinstall the cable.
Allow to cure overnight before starting engine.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Yes...until recently...Costco's no longer has them and they why I had to search for my old post carry strap...and why ended up noodling it while looking for it...found it after buying the new carry mechanism mentioned above

rhagfo wrote:
Most new batteries have built in carrying handles, they all seem to work well.

AMG batteries are cool, but after my red top died, thought about the cost vs just changing them out for Costco lead acid...about a wash in my case, but the year or so dealing with the red top losing power isn't worth it...and yes, I'm cheap and pinch the penny hard on most things...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I think you should get AGM batteries.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most new batteries have built in carrying handles, they all seem to work well.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"