cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best 14” trailer tires

Hardline
Explorer
Explorer
I know the go to for the 16” are the Sailun tires. My new trailer has 14”. Looking to replace them this weekend. Are there a go to for them? Looking at the Goodyear Endurance in the ST215/75/14. Is there something better? TIA
16 REPLIES 16

Les_Balty
Explorer
Explorer
Hardline wrote:
Thank y’all for the responses. Exactly what I was looking for. It’s a new to us 31’ 2018 Heartland Sundance. Sold our 5ver and went to this. We are definitely not road warriors. I’d be surprised if we put 1000 miles a year on one. Just need the best chance of not having a blow out. It’s insane to chance $2000 trailer damage with a blow out by trying to save $20-$100 per tire. Lol going to get the GY put on this week.

Good reasoning. A blowout is expensive. I do 1,000 miles in a single trip and am surprised the original tires lasted as long as they did. The mancave tows so much better on the Goodyear Endurance ST205/75R 14D I wish I had done it right away. The original tires did last for thousands of miles but a blowout in rural Nebraska made me question my judgement. I could feel the difference immediately today even at SLOW speed.
Les Balty

Les_Balty
Explorer
Explorer
Just had Goodyear Endurance ST205/75R14D tires on my 2019 Springdale single axle trailer. Should have done so a year ago. The original tires on camping trailers are ****. My research showed that the Endurance is the best. That's what I want when my little camper only has two on the ground. The improvement was immediately obvious. Clearly these tires are worth the extra cash. I can get more money, but not more time so I plan to make the best use of the more precious resource.
Les Balty

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
LVJJJ wrote:
I've used "no name' Chinese tires for years, mostly from Les Schwab. Never had a blowout in over 30 years. Secret is to keep them up to 50+ lbs and inspect them each time you stop for gas or back into a camp site. Looking at how far over the edge of tire they are running tells you if the pressure is correct. Have absolutely no use for the pressure sensors, not accurate enough for me. Wish I could get rid of them in my HHR. Also, don't overload or drive much over 65.

Our Trailer TPMS is about 3 pounds off from an air gauge reading. It’s always been like that. If I add 3 pounds to the TPMS, I get the “true” tire pressure, according to the gauge.
The TPMS in the truck matches up with the gauge within 1 pound.
For me, it’s all good.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
If they’re not already there, install metal stems in the rims. They are best if you get a TPMS.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Hardline wrote:
I know the go to for the 16” are the Sailun tires. My new trailer has 14”. Looking to replace them this weekend. Are there a go to for them? Looking at the Goodyear Endurance in the ST215/75/14. Is there something better? TIA

Short answer..... NO, nothing better than a USA made tire.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had excellent service from my Maxxis TT tires for many years.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No complaints with Kenda Karriers either.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Good choice. While you are at it get a tpms also as that $2,000 estimate of damage from a flat is very conservative.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

Hardline
Explorer
Explorer
Thank y’all for the responses. Exactly what I was looking for. It’s a new to us 31’ 2018 Heartland Sundance. Sold our 5ver and went to this. We are definitely not road warriors. I’d be surprised if we put 1000 miles a year on one. Just need the best chance of not having a blow out. It’s insane to chance $2000 trailer damage with a blow out by trying to save $20-$100 per tire. Lol going to get the GY put on this week.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I have 14 inch Providers LR D. Worked well.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
I've used "no name' Chinese tires for years, mostly from Les Schwab. Never had a blowout in over 30 years. Secret is to keep them up to 50+ lbs and inspect them each time you stop for gas or back into a camp site. Looking at how far over the edge of tire they are running tells you if the pressure is correct. Have absolutely no use for the pressure sensors, not accurate enough for me. Wish I could get rid of them in my HHR. Also, don't overload or drive much over 65.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
I was looking at the Hankook Vantra 195R14 before I traded my last trailer in. Load index 104 (1,984 pounds) and R (106 mph) speed rated, and they're actually tested against modern LT testing criteria not 1970s ST testing.

That Vantra looks interesting. But I won’t need tires for about 4 years.
We have the Endurance now.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Best 14” trailer tires ?

Like a which is best 1/2 ton truck brand their is no best trailer brand of trailer tires.

The Endurance ST tires have a good service record since their introduction in Jan of 2017. Their downside, for those that travel a lot of miles per year, is with only 8/32nds of tread depth equate to 1/4" of usable tread. Not the best idea for a road type trailer if your expecting 30k-35k miles of service.

The Carlisle HD also has a good service record since its intro in Sept 2016. Lots of equipment trailers now come OEM with them.

Another one at the top is the Provider which was the first new gen higher speed rating 81 mph ST tire that came out in the 2010 era in the commercial trailer industry.....and made its way over to the RV side.

What brand of ST tire is the best/most popular ....depends on which rv/non rv website......and what type of rv/non rv trailer is used.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was looking at the Hankook Vantra 195R14 before I traded my last trailer in. Load index 104 (1,984 pounds) and R (106 mph) speed rated, and they're actually tested against modern LT testing criteria not 1970s ST testing.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH