Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camper Wiring question

stufarmer
Explorer
Explorer
2016 F350 Diesel
I'm wiring my Lance Camper 6 wire plug in (truck side). The supplied cable uses 8 gauge wire for the 12v + and an 8 gauge for the 12v-. The instructions state I should install a 40 Amp relay inline for the 12v + side. Is there a 40amp relay that an 8 gauge wire can bolt to. All I've been able find are the little 1" square ones that use the much smaller #10 bolt/screw studs.
11 REPLIES 11

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I just found a set schematics for my F150 that show all the Trailer Tow Circuits to help me rewire a damaged 7 blade socket. and find the associated fuses. Even in a F350 or E350 with the diesel engine, the charge line is really not to CHARGE the batteries, it is to maintain the batteries for loss associated with towing.

At least in my case the 40amp fuse does not go to a relay for charge only. It supplies power for the turn signal functions as well. The charge relay is for a max of I believe 30 amps, enough for maintenance but not for charging.

I have seen and read about running a completely separate circuit with a truck to trailer connection that will carry more power and requires a larger alternator for full charge capabilities.

I don't think that a standard 7 blade socket/plug combination will carry 40 amps.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
stufarmer wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
I assume you have a deep discharge "house battery". Be aware, you will NEVER be able to but a "full" charge on the house batteries no matter how far you drive a day. Running your refrigerator while driving will just make matters worse.

If you plan on boondocking a lot, and are planning on using the vehicle charging system to recharge your house battery, get a DC-DC battery charger.

I didn't know that. Our new Camper ( Lance 1172) will have a Solar Panel, will that keep the batteries up ?

My solar panel does just that: keeps both my 100AH batteries charged and that's with the DC compressor fridge running. Driving the truck never charged up the camper batteries.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
If you use 2 ga wire, 150 a fuses at both ends, and a 150a continuous duty solenoid (and if you alternator puts out 14+v), the camper batteries will get fully charged.
My way fully charges 4 12v 140AH batteries (depending on how long the engine runs) Also runs my compressor refrigerator just fine.
Cal

stufarmer
Explorer
Explorer
GCasta wrote:
This is a good link to explain the relay and use
http://www.rattlebars.com/mtz/basicrelay.html
You either use the 1/4" spade connector with 8GA (yellow) crimp or you can get a female plug with wires and connect with butt connectors

Thank You !!

stufarmer
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
I assume you have a deep discharge "house battery". Be aware, you will NEVER be able to but a "full" charge on the house batteries no matter how far you drive a day. Running your refrigerator while driving will just make matters worse.

If you plan on boondocking a lot, and are planning on using the vehicle charging system to recharge your house battery, get a DC-DC battery charger.

I didn't know that. Our new Camper ( Lance 1172) will have a Solar Panel, will that keep the batteries up ?

stufarmer
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Don't confuse a relay with a circuit breaker. There should be a 40 amp circuit breaker installed near the connection point in your truck. They have 1/4 inch(roughly) stud to connect the wire to the stud using ring terminals.
Fords have a built in relay for power the camper.

Sweet !!
I didn't know that.

GCasta
Explorer
Explorer
This is a good link to explain the relay and use
http://www.rattlebars.com/mtz/basicrelay.html
You either use the 1/4" spade connector with 8GA (yellow) crimp or you can get a female plug with wires and connect with butt connectors
2015 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW
2014 Montana Mountaineer 331 RLT
2016 Lance 850

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Don't confuse a relay with a circuit breaker. There should be a 40 amp circuit breaker installed near the connection point in your truck. They have 1/4 inch(roughly) stud to connect the wire to the stud using ring terminals.
Fords have a built in relay for power the camper.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:

Interesting. Can you elaborate more on DC to DC charger? Brand, attachment etc?
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
You can use a "continuous duty" solenoid that looks like an old time Ford starter relay.
They are good for hundreds of amps .
Ask at part stores or truck accessories shops for a winch relay and they should know what you want.
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin