Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can you have your cake and eat it too?

Dennis58
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone

New forum member here with a odd ball can you have your cake and eat it too question? I'm about 3 years out from retirement and in the planning stages of putting together a rig that can meet all my needs.

Some background on me I have owned a couple Class A RV's over the years for both full time and part time use as well as tent camping in my younger years. My next camping adventures will combine ATV's on a occasional basis and several trips to the South/Mid West.

I'm drawn to TC's for their simplicity and compactness but the truck payload weight limits gets eaten up quickly going up in size than adding cargo. I'm not looking to drag 30' plus foot of equipment behind my truck so trailers, 5'ers and Toy Haulers are a non starter with me. Everything seems to start in the 27' range for entry level RV's that seem to me anyway to be cheaply built.

So I said if you can't find it just build it. How about a custom built 22' (floor length) trailer with a 5th wheel hookup. I can place a 10-11' TC on the front and have 11' left on the back for a ATV or Side by Side or Golf Cart. I know the Rock Crawler guys do this with 40' equipment trailers so it should be doable.

I'm not talking something thrown together but a well thought out project that is custom built around a TC I choose. The smaller footprint trailer still gives me access to a lot of campgrounds and I have more flexibility for dry camping.

My tow vehicle is a 2019 Silverado Dully Duramax.

What are your thought on that setup?

Thanks
Dennis
77 REPLIES 77

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
We own a 2500HD truck, and Lance 845, and a 6x10 cargo trailer. Can get nearly anywhere we want to go. We most often travel w/truck and TC, and only take trailer when we need it (dirt bikes, etc)

If you do that, it eliminates the LOOOOOONG trailer, plus truck length, and when and if you want to leave the trailer for a couple days, you still have your "Camping Condo" to go short trips or overnights. Otherwise, you leave your bed on the trailer and not on the truck where you really need it.

Even traveling cross-country, we can alway find a storage yard for the trailer if we choose back-country for a few days or a week, then come back and get it, continue on. Really works well...
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
TC are way more complex than any TT.
I counted 4 exterior lights on my Lance (not counting automotive lights) and about 20 interior lights.
That's way more than average 3bdrm/2 baths house will have.
Have been observing fellow camper trying to get stuff from his TT storage at night.
The trailer had no lights at all and poor guy was chewing on his flashlight while moving the stuff around.
Than if you consider towing, fellow camper let me inside her new TT.
The 28' unit had 3 slides and double slide rear opened to 2 recliners on the sides of fireplace, kitchen island, big, I mean big screen TV and lot of other stuff. My jaw dropped.
TT have strong floor frame, so upper structural integrity is not crucial, meaning they have 3 foot slides, while my TC has 18"

Bedlam
I would be more apt to put a small travel trailer on a large deck rather than a TC if I was building a redneck toy hauler and did not have a RV yet. The price for square footage of living space would be much better. I could see a use for an open deck if you have an oversized vehicle or vehicle that gets excessively dirty when used, but otherwise prefer my enclosed trailer. My combination is over 50' long but swivels in the middle allowing me to still get into many tight locations or parks - If I put everything on one platform (enclosed or open), I wouldn't have the turning radius needed to visit some of my desired spots.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dennis, I canโ€™t speak personally to the quality of toy haulers, but I find it difficult to believe they are much different than than TCs or TTs for quality.
Just donโ€™t think a guy is gaining much doing the GN/TC combo unless both happen to be laying around and already paid for/ depreciated out.
JMO, but a TC in the bed and a bumper pull trailer still seem more versatile
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ But our property taxes are 3x as much and sales tax is like adding a healthy โ€œtipโ€ onto every purchase for the Home Depot waitress, I mean cashier!

Bedlam
My Ram 5500 is $189/yr for 18K lb and $206/year for 20K lb GVWR registration.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
That confirms my observation that all states charge some kind of commercial fee on pickups.
When I moved from CA to NV, it was nice at first that NV doesn't have "commercial" registration like CA does.
But the registration fees are almost the same, when in CA I had separate "weigh fee" NV adds some kind of tax.
But if you are using truck for camper carrying only, at least in some states you can register it as RV and avoid the high fees.
Still remember buying used motorhome in Maryland over 10 years ago. All fees and 2 years tags totaled $68
EDIT the high fees I listed in NV apply to Clark Co (Las Vegas) what is separate country in the state. You go to different county and it is whole different World, including much lower electricity prices.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis58 wrote:
Dennis58 wrote:

Update ---> Alabama tags for my new 2019 3500HD Duramax was $68.00

My bad ----> Alabama tags for my new 2019 3500HD Duramax for the next FULL tag year will be $725.00

OUCH!!!!!!!!

LOL. My 2012 RAM still costs that much to register.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Dennis58
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis58 wrote:

My bad ----> Alabama tags for my new 2019 3500HD Duramax for the next FULL tag year will be $725.00

OUCH!!!!!!!!

Dennis58
Explorer
Explorer
Grit Dog, I agree from a extended trip standpoint that this setup is not ideal. I have been looking at Toy Haulers and bumper pulls.

There is no easy (cheap) solution when it comes to towing toys and needing somewhere to sleep and shower too.

If I have to put the TC on the truck and tow a 20' enclosed trailer than I have really gained nothing. Might as well just buy a 5'er/gooseneck TH.

The whole TH thing from a cost perspective vs. a TC while might be cheaper I see no quality value in a TH and a lot of quality value in a TC.

Almost as if the way forward is to buy the cheapest used TH and drop it off at the RV junkyard when your done with it.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I guess if you wanted the most versatility and ability to convert to multiple configuration settings for different trips or conditions then a GN trailer with TC on the front and toys lower on the back would fit that bill.
However if youโ€™re going to leave the TC on the trailer effectively all the time, then what you have is a heavy toy hauler that looks like an afterthought and open storage for your (expensive) toy(s). At this point just buy a .......toyhauler!
TC on truck and enclosed trailer for toys/gear, imo, is the most practical solution from most standpoints.
Need empty pickup ? Unload camper.
Need secure toy storage, trailer is enclosed and you can lock it up like ft Knox if youโ€™re leaving it unattended.
Need extra dry space, TC on a GN doesnโ€™t have it.
Most important, for me, extended trips with motor toys require work or maint on the toy and bad weather sometimes. You want your Harley/RZR/Snowmachine to be covered in road grime, faded from the sun, seat waterlogged and easy to steal or vandalize? Leave it on an open trailer.....

Dennis58
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis58 wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
Doesn't Alabama charge for driving on their roads?

Guess I will find out when I put tags on my new truck, as for the trailer nothing different between a 22' gooseneck and 18' bumper pull.

Tags for my 2003 2500HD were $13.00 last year and my 18' car trailer was $16.00.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
The trailer with Wolf Creek has to be custom 7' wide.
Unless you have local trailer builder, good luck finding one.
Also consider the height of the combo as with bigger TC you might be taller that 13-6 law allows.
Also looks like TC on red pickup has bumper?
Was that removed?

3TV
Explorer
Explorer
What's the difference between this

and this?

The camper is the same, so that's not it. The deck size on the trailer could easily be the same as well, depending on what size trailer you bought, so that's not it either.

One difference that I haven't heard mentioned yet is tongue weight, and capacity of the trailer. The truck with the camper in the bed requires a hitch extension, which with the truck in the picture drops the towing capacity from 15,000 lbs, to 6,000 lbs, with just a 600 lb tongue weight capacity.

The hitch extension doesn't matter if you are towing a UTV or ATV, but if you are towing a Jeep it does matter. It might be a challenge to find a quality trailer and a built Jeep that have a combined weight of less than 6000 lbs.

The gooseneck option may be the only option for people who already have a truck and camper, and want to also tow a Jeep.
2019 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie SWB 4x4
2020 Lance 825
2021 Grand Design Momentum 350G