cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

bkirkpatrick
Explorer
Explorer
Jarlaxle wrote:
rvert10 wrote:
According to the tow chart the 550&V10 should pull up to 17,300k

18,300lbs, actually.

Mileage will be about the same as a new emission diesel hauling that weight: lousy. Comparing two tow trucks, an F-550 V10 and a Ram 4500 with the Cummins, the mileage is a wash...despite the F-550 being a Supercab 4x4 and the Ram a regular cab 4x2. Of course, fueling the Ram is $4.15/gallon and fueling the 550 is $3.75!
but spinning the RPM's to keep up with the diesel(low RPM) is going to kill the V10 over time.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
rvert10 wrote:

18,300lbs, actually.

Mileage will be about the same as a new emission diesel hauling that weight: lousy. Comparing two tow trucks, an F-550 V10 and a Ram 4500 with the Cummins, the mileage is a wash...despite the F-550 being a Supercab 4x4 and the Ram a regular cab 4x2. Of course, fueling the Ram is $4.15/gallon and fueling the 550 is $3.75!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

blt2ski
rvert10 wrote:
Could I get and average price of Diesel along I84,I5 or I82, Metro Seattle and the Bremerton area. want to get an Idea of how bad it's going to hurt.
Pm me if you would.

Right now diesel in this area can range from 4.09 up to 4.49 in a few places, gen ave is 4.19-4.29. Even a few if you look hard as low as 4.09. This is seattle, tacoma, bremerton, Port townsend, Port Angelas, Everett....At least where I drive reasonably consistantly. Portland with mini self serve for some reason is .10 less than the north side of the river for the most part.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

rvert10
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
rvert10 wrote:

Yep, with 4.88 gears, maybe it is gallons per mile at that ratio, not miles per gallon.

your statement kind of reminds of a military vehicle I road in...once then it was on foot or Jeep.
2015 Chevy Silverado DRW,6spd auto, Exhaust break,
35' Teton Home Experience 3 slides, its not a trailer its a home
5500 watt generator
and a beautiful Co-piolet

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
rvert10 wrote:

Yep, with 4.88 gears, maybe it is gallons per mile at that ratio, not miles per gallon.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
rvert10 wrote:
Here is the link I used

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/12FLRVTT_SuperDtyCCjul1.pdf

Sorry if this is not a clickable link.

It is now

rvert10
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the link I used

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/12FLRVTT_SuperDtyCCjul1.pdf

Sorry if this is not a clickable link.
5500 watt generator

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
rvert10 wrote:

What gear ratio and what MPG?

rvert10
Explorer
Explorer
5500 watt generator

rvert10
Explorer
Explorer
Could I get and average price of Diesel along I84,I5 or I82, Metro Seattle and the Bremerton area. want to get an Idea of how bad it's going to hurt.
Pm me if you would.
5500 watt generator

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
bkirkpatrick wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:
it makes no difference if you are pulling a 15,000# trailer. You have to have a diesel.

No, that is wrong.
You are correct. A bored out V-10 with a turbo or blower and 10 gallon radiator will also work.

Explain, in detail, EXACTLY why an F-550 with V10 will not tow a 15,000lb trailer safely. Be specific.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

youngtravelers
Explorer
Explorer
SORRY been busy at work, and plowing snow at the house to get online for a while....

Spud57 and Hannibal asked about my upgrades, and transmission blowing up.
yes, I had to replace the stock torque converter with a BD performance triple clutch unit, and a performance valve body kit. this helped alot, and also made a fuel consumption difference.... LESS!! Unless i get the heavy right foot syndrome :B!
upgrades.... tuner, Schnieder performance injectors, cold air intake, New intake manifold elbow, alum. deep trans pan, snow performance methanol injection. (keeps EGT's down)and adds about 40HP...also methanol acts as a catalyst and helps get a fuller burn of the diesel injected. been reliable so far, 120K on the truck as of today. occasionally getting a fault code for open circuit on group 1 of injectors might be a wire or somehting...

Happy travels.. YT
Young Travelers :B

przao
Explorer
Explorer
My first diesel was a 1996 Cummins 12-valve, which I just gave to my son at 123k miles. The year I purchased the truck we were towing a 23-foot travel trailer through Death Valley and the ambient temperature was 124 degrees F. The air conditioning was keeping the inside of the truck cool to the point of being chilly. We had to climb our way out of the valley and passed several vehicles that were pulled to the side of the road with overheating problems while the Cummins was still as cool as a cucumber - it is diesel all the way for me.
PZ

JayParsons
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel all the way. Gotta have the power when making long pulls.
I am the waterless wash and wax man!

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
Let me re-state my point. I have driven every combo out there. I prefer a gas over a diesel and I am satisfied with the performance of the gas unit up to a 10K trailer, maybe even 12K. After that, for me anyway, it take a diesel to give the performance I would want.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".