cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dinette table legs

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
One of the few annoying things in the new Jayco hybrids is they changed the collapsible table to now use a heavy "scissors" type of frame instead of the lightweight folding legs. Anyone know why they went to this? Its not to support it as a bed because the feet don't even touch the floor when "in place". It also takes up space underneath where we normally stow our camp chairs. We always put our table outside and on the new trailer this has become a chore. Not to mention the table wobbles on the flimsy mounts. I'm thinking about installing some "L" brackets to give it some stability. But I'd rather replace the legs with the standard folding type on the older trailers. Anyone know a good source for them? I can't seem to find anything in my searches. Here's a couple of photos of what the scissors legs look like and the older style I'd prefer. EDIT: Just found a little video demonstrating the new legs. Looks great in theory, in practice they suck rocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu1QpNzKtFY

Also here: http://www.millermfgcorp.com/tablelegs.htm
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)
15 REPLIES 15

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
tailgater wrote:

I was going to post my opinion, but I didn't watch the video and don't want to be accused of being unhelpful.

Well you missed your goal, you didn't watch the video and you were still unhelpful. Aim higher tomorrow.

tailgater
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
the bear II wrote:
Probably came from China so they were able to save a few dollars in build cost. Buyer be damned....

Sure... From the video: "Made In The USA by Miller Manufacturing of Nappanee, IN". Then again you probably didn't do more than skim the post. Thank you for your less than helpful input.

I was going to post my opinion, but I didn't watch the video and don't want to be accused of being unhelpful.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
The second issue we had with the OEM folding legs, beside being on the flimsy side, was that in transit, it would walk across the floor and end up against the cabinet. We fixed that with an eye-hook and a small bungy wrapped around the leg and attached to the box where the heat ducts run. Still preferred the posts.

Made an adjustment on the new table this afternoon....it was nowhere near level. A pretty quick and easy job...the feet screw in or out as needed and a bolt tightens the whole thing. Much better being level and DH didn't pinch the daylights out of his hand this time.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Wizfisher
Explorer
Explorer
We have the tubes (3 of them) beneath our table and the table is VERY sturdy.
Doesn't move or even shake.

The 3 tubes come out easily when we want to make the dinette into a bed.

I never did like the folding table in our pop up. Twice it was accidentally knocked with our legs and folded down while we were trying to eat.

Now that we have a pick up, we just bring a 6 foot folding table and set it up outside when we need a table outside.
2012 Starcraft Travelstar 229TB

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
RandK-M wrote:
Reading all the responses, I guess it's personal tastes. My pop up had the regular folding legs and I hated them. It was too easy to shove the table when eating.
I have the tube pedestal in my Jayco now and love it.
But we never use it for anything but a table, and never move it or drop it down to bed level. In fact, I don't think I've ever tried to remove it from the pedestal since we bought it in January 2010

Ray

Ray you are certainly right about being personal preference. We always take the table outside. With the new larger trailer (and slide!) we thought we might want to leave it inside but we quickly realized that we still preferred to use it outside. More room to move around and its very useful to us outside. I just can't see how that new style scissors legs are an improvement, even if you never take the table out.

poppin_fresh wrote:
Note that I said attempt...

Ha! I appreciate the qualification!
Chuck D.
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
One of the things I read a LOT about while researching was how much people hated the old style legs and how they collapsed under small amounts of weight. Maybe these new legs are an attempt to actually listen to the customer and use something better? Note that I said attempt...
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

Jerry9n
Explorer
Explorer
Since there are only two of us and we use the dinette seats for watching tv, I got rid of the table and built a drop leaf. Works great for two and if I ever need the other table, this thing is completely removable.

Jerry9n
2009 23' Cikira Escape EXP
2006 Ford Expedition
Reese Pro Series SC
Tekonsha Primus IQ
HTT Mods

RandK-M
Explorer
Explorer
Reading all the responses, I guess it's personal tastes. My pop up had the regular folding legs and I hated them. It was too easy to shove the table when eating.
I have the tube pedestal in my Jayco now and love it.
But we never use it for anything but a table, and never move it or drop it down to bed level. In fact, I don't think I've ever tried to remove it from the pedestal since we bought it in January 2010

Ray
Jayco 17Z
Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Prodigy P2
Equal-i-zer Hitch
US Navy Veteran

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Sheesh, I had the dealer remove the pedistal mounts and install a set of those legs in the new TT. We like 'em.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
And I did the opposite of Habs33 on my 2011 Palomino. I removed the folding legs from my table and installed two tubular ones that attached one end to the table and the other end to the floor.......and the folding ones are in my shed.

Dre

Habs33
Explorer
Explorer
On my 2004 Jayco 23D, I removed the two silver pedestal legs which were permanently affixed to both the floor and the bottom of the table, and installed two folding legs that you would typically find on a 4 by 8 table. We did this to allow for the table to be folded to a bed. Yes we lost a little storage beneath the table, however with the permanent legs we really did not stow anything there anyways. The legs I installed are actually pretty sturdy.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Ooh yea, I almost pinched my fingers the first time I used it! We like to put the table outside so the posts wouldn't do, but thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to have to call the dealer and see what just the legs cost.
Chuck D.
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
We have those same legs on our new TT and, honestly, they're a lot sturdier than the ones that came OEM on our ROO. We removed them and put the posts in. Would the posts work for you? At least they'd be out of the way when you dropped the table to make the bed. The only thing we do know about this new system is that if you're not careful, you can pinch the daylights out of your hand if you're not careful. Or....maybe someone has a set of the old ones laying around that would be happy to give you if you paid the shipping. Just a thought.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
Probably came from China so they were able to save a few dollars in build cost. Buyer be damned....

Sure... From the video: "Made In The USA by Miller Manufacturing of Nappanee, IN". Then again you probably didn't do more than skim the post. Thank you for your less than helpful input.
Chuck D.
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid