cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dodge Ram 2500 vs 3500...and SRW vs DRW

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, so I've done the obligatory searches here and elsewhere, and yet some questions still linger.

Many of the posts I've read prefer a 3500 over the 2500 for various reasons and DRW over SRW. Much of it has to do with what one wants to accomplish.

What I'm looking for is a tow vehicle for now, as well as the future. My current setup with the 2003 Tahoe LT and the Keystone Outback 25RSS is fine...most of the time. But this past weekend, at elevation, the Tahoe simply runs out of steam. Approaching the summit of Cameron Pass at 10300, the Tahoe was out of breath several times on some of the steeper stretches, slowing down to ~25mph. I also had the same experience heading up the South St. Vrain Canyon to Peaceful Valley area (near Allenspark). The combo does fine in the flats and has been an easy tow headed anywhere east.

So...I'm considering a used Dodge Ram. And at some point, I'm likely to upgrade the trailer. My thought is to find a Ram 3500 dually, preferably with a diesel engine and manual transmission, since I'm looking at early 2000s models to fit my budget. A 3500 would certainly handle my current trailer at 6000 pounds fully loaded and weighed at a scale. The 3500 is probably more truck than I need currently, but I don't want to have to buy another tow vehicle after this one. I have a daily driver, so the 3500 won't be put in to that role. My thinking is that, getting a 3500 dually would allow me to consider a small 5er at some point in the future, or a different bumper pull trailer with a better floor plan.

Two questions, one relative to price, the other relative to mileage. As to price, I've done some research and found that Ram 3500s seem to be a bit overpriced in this area relative to NADA and KBB. What sort of price would be fair to offer, say for a 3500 with typical options and a price of $20-25000? Both NADA and KBB show that offering $15-18000 would not be unreasonable, given the circumstances.

Next is mileage. For a diesel, how many miles are too many miles for a used truck? I know upkeep/maintenance are big factors, and that a well maintained truck should be able to handle a lot of miles. Some of the diesel 3500s I'm looking at have 150K to 225K miles. One has over 300K miles. And one has over 500K miles. That last one sort of put me off ๐Ÿ˜‰ When looking at diesels, posts I've read here and elsewhere seem to indicate that 200K plus is not that big a deal, that they are just getting broken in.

What I'm looking for is some more current, real world experiences than I found in searches. All things considered, I think I'd be more satisfied with a 3500 DRW Ram vs a 2500 or 3500 SRW, for future needs. Yes, I'll probably spend a bit more up front, but I'll also get more truck for those future needs.

What say you, Ram owners? Is my thinking sound, or am I way off base?

ETA:
H E R E

and

H E R E

are just 2 examples of what I've been looking at.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.
32 REPLIES 32

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brisk wrote:
OP, I think that both of the trucks you shared are way overpriced. Especially the Mega Cab with the Stacks. The Blue truck could be a good deal if you could get it for closer to 15k. Check out Dennis Dillon Dodge in Idaho for prices on new trucks. I saw a SRW Ram 3500 Tradesman for $39k on there awhile back. Brand New!

OP here, and yup, I also think that the vehicles at that particular dealer, and other dealers in this area in general, are overpriced. I've checked vehicles of interest against KBB and NADA pricing, and it seems that the prices are running consistently around $5K higher than they should be, and $6-7K above a good low ball offer.

Brisk
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP, I think that both of the trucks you shared are way overpriced. Especially the Mega Cab with the Stacks. The Blue truck could be a good deal if you could get it for closer to 15k. Check out Dennis Dillon Dodge in Idaho for prices on new trucks. I saw a SRW Ram 3500 Tradesman for $39k on there awhile back. Brand New!
Brent('85) & Lindsay('86) DDs('08 &'11)

'14 RAM Laramie 3500SRW CCLB Cummins/4x4/68RFE
-B&W Turnover Ball/Anderson Ultimate Aluminum

Toyhauler-'06 Forest River Sierra Sport F32

2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX Wakeboat

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Nascar24 wrote:
After owning two Dodge Diesel trucks , one,

02 2500 4x4 Quad Cab 5.9L 24V AT and one 08 Dodge 3500 4x4 Mega Cab with the 6.7L 6 speed Ainsin Auto Trans.

The 02 was troublesome, well know Injection pump issues $2300 and well known weak 4 speed auto overdrive tranny, $4500 billet rebuild. Once that was all done it was a great tow vehicle.

My 08 Mega Cab SRW with the 6.7L , exhaust brake and 6 speed AT was by far my best Tow vehicle ! Very reliable, awesome power , stability and smoothness.

I also owned a 01 Ford 7.3L Diesel which was a very good tow vehicel and definatey an upgrade from my 1998 GMC 2500 7.4L Suburban

Except you didn't have an Aisin in an 08 mega cab. Aisin wasn't an option for pickups until 2013-14. Only the chassis cab trucks got them up til then.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thirty thousand for a nine year old truck , I paid $42,000 for the same truck , new !

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the great insight from the responses here so far. Keep 'em coming!

alaska315
Explorer
Explorer
Scott the truck had 4:10's when I bought it and I had a friend who worked at Dana for over 35 years and still does gear work to change them out for me when I had a pinion bearing go bad on thew rear.I should have clarified that,Thanks

Nascar24
Explorer
Explorer
After owning two Dodge Diesel trucks , one,

02 2500 4x4 Quad Cab 5.9L 24V AT and one 08 Dodge 3500 4x4 Mega Cab with the 6.7L 6 speed Ainsin Auto Trans.

The 02 was troublesome, well know Injection pump issues $2300 and well known weak 4 speed auto overdrive tranny, $4500 billet rebuild. Once that was all done it was a great tow vehicle.

My 08 Mega Cab SRW with the 6.7L , exhaust brake and 6 speed AT was by far my best Tow vehicle ! Very reliable, awesome power , stability and smoothness.

I also owned a 01 Ford 7.3L Diesel which was a very good tow vehicel and definatey an upgrade from my 1998 GMC 2500 7.4L Suburban
Good Luck and Happy Trails
2008 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 V8
2014 Grey Wolf 19RR Toy Hauler
Nascar24 A lengend in my own mind, A Scary thought in someone else's!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And whether you want a 3500 srw or dually, if you want a deal, take the first one you find whether it starts with a 2 or a 3. Lot more 2s out there.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you want a deal, look on Seattle Craigslist right now. 03 Duramax CC dually, $7500 may need a trans, only 108kmi and has had injectors. Few cosmetic issues, but that's the only potential "deal" I've seen on a diesel in a long time....and it's probably sold by now.
The only decent values in older Dodges, imo are if you find a early 3rd gen quad cab with lower miles maybe in some ugly color, or a lower mile second gen. Still too expensive for what they are, but you get the Cummins that's easily turned up and still have some creature comforts, but any mega cab, or late 3rd gen/early 4th gen will likely be overpriced even more unless it's a beat up pile.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Small 5ver or big TT is square in a 2500s wheelhouse. Only thing a 3500 dually gets you is 2 more tires and more rear springs. Which doesn't really come into play except as a security blanket until you start getting over 3klb pin weight.
Stop looking at stealers. Prices are far enough out of whack on old diesels as it is. Dealers want even more.
Regarding miles, sure the engine will last "forever", and maybe the trans if it's a manual. The rest of the truck will age just like any other comparable gasser vehicle.

Kennedycamper
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you have a lot of children to fill the back seat of that Mega, get the DRW with 8ft bed.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
alaska315 wrote:
I have a 2006 Dodge HD2500 SLT 4x4 Cummins 24V with the very hard to find 6 speed manual transmission with 3:54 gear ratio.I bought the truck used from the original owner at 33K miles and it presently has 233K miles.
I pull an aluminum sided 31 foot 5th wheel so it's abit lighter than the fiberglass units.I am well within all my weight ratings.

Love my old truck and at my age it will probably be the last I own.
Shoot,it's just getting broke in.

I had a 1996 I bought new and sold with 740K miles on it.Loved it as well.

Just a note, you have to have either a 3.73 or 4.10 rear axle. You have a AAM axles and they were not available with 3.54's.
The 4.10's were an option and will show n the sticker in the glove box. If it doesn't say anything you have 3.54's.

alaska315
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 Dodge HD2500 SLT 4x4 Cummins 24V with the very hard to find 6 speed manual transmission with 3:54 gear ratio.I bought the truck used from the original owner at 33K miles and it presently has 233K miles.
I pull an aluminum sided 31 foot 5th wheel so it's abit lighter than the fiberglass units.I am well within all my weight ratings.

Love my old truck and at my age it will probably be the last I own.
Shoot,it's just getting broke in.

I had a 1996 I bought new and sold with 740K miles on it.Loved it as well.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
New trucks have high ratings, however they are quite a bit heavier also.

OP, a year ago we sold our 2001.5 RAM 2500 4x4 Std cab. It had the camper option along with the optional LT25/75R16E tires. 2001.5 is the best year for the 24V RAM. 4 wheel disc brakes(introduced in .5 release), Center Axle Disconnect (discontinued on 2002's) on the front axle. It was a very capable truck. We towed a 29' 5th wheel and it did very well. Was over GVWR but under the rear GAWR.

Chris

Those early 2000's 2gen's were stout TV, we still love ours!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thom02099, personal experience, we currently have a 2001 Ram 2500 Laramie SLT, bought used at 234,000 almost six years ago, currently at 296,000 and doing great. When we were looking this came across as the best looking and best condition.
We bought on first sight and broke all the rules, at night in the rain. Ran great, interior in very good shape well equipped one owner, traded for a 2011 with four real doors. I would have liked to have gotten a 3500, but this is a 2500 Camper package, basically the 3500 SRW that were not available in the 94 to 02 range.
We to a 12,360# GVWR 5er at about 11,200# or so. The purchase of the 5er once the price was settled was determined by hooking up if the TV had excessive squat the deal was off. Well no issues so we took the rig home 250 miles. The real surprise was fist trip to the scales and the TV GVW was near 9,800#, now we run right at 10,000# on the TV and a 19,500# GCVW. We are still well within rear and front axle ratings, and the camper package has 3500 rear springs, be watching for those on 2500's lower overload, and a double upper overload.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"