cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ducted to non-ducted?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I may be purchasing a TT with a single, ducted AC unit. The trailer is pre-wired for a second, non-ducted unit in the bed room.
My question is, can I buy a new ducted 15K unit to replace it and install some kind of kit on the original 13.5K unit to make it non-ducted with its own built in T-stat so I can use it in the BR?
Sorry I don't know the brand.

Scott
10 REPLIES 10

DoxieBox
Explorer
Explorer
Following, as this is exactly what we're dealing with right now... My TT is at the service bay awaiting a price quote to add said 2nd A/C. I emailed Jayco with my VIN to ask if there are any allowances built in for the addition (wiring, framing). They should be getting back to me today. But no matter what, we WILL be adding a 2nd unit be it a proper roof mount, or schlepping a window A/C along with!!
"Just think of it as a train behind you. Forty feet of train. TRAILER BRAKES FIRST! TRAILER BRAKES FIRST!!!"
-The Long Long Trailer, 1953
starring Lucille Ball & Desi Arnaz

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
You shouldn't have to change the existing unit. If you look at the grill in the ceiling, there should be a panel that shifts. Closed, it puts the cold air out thru the ducts. Open and it pumps it straight out of the grill.

No all units have that capability like my Dometic 13.5K unit doesn't have that ability. I think it's some of the Coleman units that had that "Max cool" (I think that's what it might be called) ability.

I added two extra ceiling registers right at the intersection of the outlet plenum and each fore/aft ceiling duct so that I could get a Rube Goldberg type of the "Max Cool" ability and that really helps cool down the main area of the trailer on hotter days.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Thanks for all the good advice!
I wont purchase the rig unless it's got 50A, which will also automatically give it wiring for second AC. (32A Silver Fox)

there are plenty of rigs out there that are running two ACs on a 30 amp coach. mine was one and with a decent EMS no issue. would automatically shut things off if needed temporarily.
bumpy

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for all the good advice!
I wont purchase the rig unless it's got 50A, which will also automatically give it wiring for second AC. (32A Silver Fox)

Trackrig wrote:
What are you planning for power to the second A/C? If the TT has 30A power, that most likely won't run both of them. Then it's a separate extension cord, or?

Bill

I am not positive, but I think that if it is prewired for a second AC, that it would be 50 amp . . My BIL just purchased a new Jayco TT, since it had the prewire set up, that automatically bumped it to 50 amp as part of the option ... just thinking????
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
You shouldn't have to change the existing unit. If you look at the grill in the ceiling, there should be a panel that shifts. Closed, it puts the cold air out thru the ducts. Open and it pumps it straight out of the grill.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
What are you planning for power to the second A/C? If the TT has 30A power, that most likely won't run both of them. Then it's a separate extension cord, or?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

IF your adding the second non ducted unit in the BR, I believe that the 13.5 will be suffice for the main unit. It will only have to cool part of the trailer, just make sure you close off the vents in the BR..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Yes- the upper units are the same for ducted or non, except for Atwood units.
-- Chris Bryant

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'd just add a small non-ducted unit in the bedroom myself. my ducted/ tstat controlled ACs had no provision for using a built in tstat, etc.
bumpy