cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electrical Extension Cords

deaner58
Explorer
Explorer
I am a new travel trailer owner with no previous experience.
I am looking for advice on what gauge extension cords I should purchase for electrical hook ups?
22 REPLIES 22

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Depends really on your load. Will you run AirCon and Electric water heater and Electric fridge all at the same time when on the extension cord?
If yes, then 10 or 12g cord. the shorter the better.

Running AirCon on a 14g cord (small wire) will certainly work, but can put a strain on the aircon motor when the cord gets hot, it will, and the amps start to drop, even cold the cord will struggle to supply the needed amps. The AC will try to run off of what it has, but all I say is, research this topic.

That said, I do run the AC on a regular cord sometimes (not with other high draw things at the same time though), and have not killed anything.... yet...
I do have a 10g cord, but the camper is plugged into regular ex cord, prob 14g so I have power if I need it, and if I want AC on a hot day while Im out there will run it off little cord...

Your AC unit will not be drawing 30 amps. The 30amp number comes from combining AC, fridge and water heater, plus other, though smaller, loads.
You can look up what the AC draws running (not start-up).

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
deaner58 wrote:
Ok thanks for the advice I appreciate it.
We have not used the trailer yet, bought it at the end of October and the dealer has stored it for the winter. We have booked some camp sites in Ontario Canada starting in May and several sites say the electrical box could be up to 30 ft?

Ontario Provincial Parks?

I camped at Killbear many times. I needed a 30 Amp extension cord 50% of the time.

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
I almost exclusively use a 20 amp rated cord (12 awg minimum, 10 awg if you can find one), but I would not run two major electric appliances at the same time. Don't run the microwave and the a/c or an electric heater simultaneously, or the water heater on electric etc. I usually dry camp and plug into the Honda to charge or run the micro for a few minutes. In extreme temperatures where you need a/c or electric heat stick with the 30 amp cord.

Gman
2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:

There is actually a term for that. It is called dry-docking. Great way to discover the things you would never think of. Once you go in the RV, pretend you are 100 miles from home, e.g., you can't go in the house for anything.

Several years of camping, and we still take 2x what we need. It was one of the things I looked at in a new 5th wheel purchase, overly large cargo capacity for the trailer size. I'm actually afraid to weigh our travel trailer, because I don't want to know how over weight we really are ๐Ÿ™‚

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
CavemanCharlie wrote:
This is not what you asked but, I usually recommend practice camping in your driveway the first time so you can learn what you and don't want to take along. Then plan your first couple of trips close to home.

There is actually a term for that. It is called dry-docking. Great way to discover the things you would never think of. Once you go in the RV, pretend you are 100 miles from home, e.g., you can't go in the house for anything.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

bdhoun
Explorer
Explorer
deaner58 wrote:
We have not used the trailer yet, bought it at the end of October and the dealer has stored it for the winter. We have booked some camp sites in Ontario Canada starting in May and several sites say the electrical box could be up to 30 ft?

Ontario Provincial Parks have notorious long distances to the pedestle. I was just looking at sites in Arrowhead that are reporting 30-40meters.

I carry 3 25ft cords so good for 100ft. Have not had a problem yet, but i have used all of it on some occasions.
'14 Ford F-150 eco screw max tow, 3.5, 3.73's
'16 Freedom Express 257 BHS
and Equal-i-zer

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I have a ten foot 30 amp cord and the twenty-five that came with the TT. Most times I plug-in, the ten footer is useable. Much easier.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

poppa
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
deaner58 wrote:

Make sure to carry an adapter to convert a 30A TT plug to a standard 15A plug. You probably can only run 1 A/C on 15A, but that is better than nothing.

I have heard of a few newer (and much farther south) camp sites that only have 50A hook ups.
ya mite want the adapter to go from 30 amp rv plug to 30 amp twist lock receptacle like on a generator too. all you 30 amp stuff should be rated for 120v the 50 amp will be 120/230v, you prolly wont need that

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You asked for gauge. No such thing as a 30amp cord...lol
Get a 10 gauge if 50', 12ga will suffice for 25'. Total length including attached cord of one is attached to camper
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
If you are in any Ontario Provincial Parks carry at least one 25 foot 30 amp cord., and a 10 gauge 15 amp extension cord at least 50 feet long. The 15 amp cord won't allow you to use the air conditioner, but it will be good to power everything else. After a few trips you will know what you need.
We went to MacGregor Point PP several years ago. Had the trailer cord fully extended, the 25 foot 30 A cord attached and the a 100Foot 15 amp cord with adapter to the 30 Amp cord, and just barely made it to the power post. Now we carry far better and longer cords. At Rondeau last fall I needed the full cord out of the camper and a 25 foot extension.
Happy camping.
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is not what you asked but, I usually recommend practice camping in your driveway the first time so you can learn what you and don't want to take along. Then plan your first couple of trips close to home.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
deaner58 wrote:

Make sure to carry an adapter to convert a 30A TT plug to a standard 15A plug. You probably can only run 1 A/C on 15A, but that is better than nothing.

I have heard of a few newer (and much farther south) camp sites that only have 50A hook ups.

deaner58
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to every one who has posted your knowledge and advice it is very much appreciated!! We have a lot to learn but we are looking forward to the ride!!
I am sure I will have a lot more questions to come!!
Thanks again
Bob