cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Essential tools to carry; pole saw.

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
Funny how subjects get brought up but this was one I would like to address here in the NW...I was talking to someone who wanted to travel off road...a bit deeper into our forests with a TC....I asked do you have saws?MMM...well I carry an electric chain saw; long extension cord (no gas) and a pole saw always...well I think it is obvious why...my genny can run my Pollan if I run into a fallen tree and my pole saw can take care of low branches..just tools of the trade. Comments?
76 REPLIES 76

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
I'm now looking at cordless saws and trying to justify that my bow saw is enough...
It isn't. 🙂
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bedlam
specta wrote:

I carry a 40v chainsaw with me everywhere I go when camping. I use it to clear existing roads.

I'm not sure whether to thank or curse you. I'm now looking at cordless saws and trying to justify that my bow saw is enough...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a matter of fact, I just acquired an 18v Milwaukee saws-all last month. It is in my truck this moment. I don't take to much to heart when I try to make a decent subject a talking point. There will always be a naysayer. I personally do a lot of boon-docking and you can never be to prepared for what comes your way. For those who don't live here in the Northwest, trees fall and branches hang. It's just part of what we do here. I totally understand why a shovel is a good idea for all kinds of reasons. Happy Holidaze everyone!!

Bedlam
Let's see, I tow a trailer that carries an electric pole saw and I also carry a bow saw and shovel. Either I am clearing established paths and fixing ruts or I must be chopping up and burying the detractors of what I carry.

BTW: I am sawer qualified by the USFS and authorized to clear trails and roadways.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I pack an old Craftsman 18volt set in the 5th wheel. I include the saws all because I've heard getting steel belts cut off after blow out is a challenge. I'm thinking I'll start taking the DeWalt for a bit of improvement over the Craftsman. My son says I should try a Freud carbide blade on the saws all.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
So far, this style of saw has served us well.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been camping for over 60 years, backpacking, canoes, rafts, mule pack trips, hunting trips, truck camping etc. I have lived in tents for a month at a time. I have been in the logging business, but have never used a chain once to cut firewood on a camping trip. Not necessary. Build smaller fires and stand closer. Use a wood stove.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
This is a great blade for your Sawzall, https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/garden/garden-care/saws/71675-lee-valley-pruning-blade-for-reciprocating-saws.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
TxGearhead wrote:
If you're packing a battery impact or drill, look at the matching saws all.

You should see the little compact sawzall style saw I just bought! This thread has given me another use for it, TAKE IT CAMPING! It's perfect for taking down tree limbs due to its design. It can be used with one handed.

I suppose I should make a video on it so the people that dislike videos will have something to squawk about this holiday season. :-0
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Forest Service and state park departments allow "limbing" so you can camp anywhere you wish?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Ron_835
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead

I would say your glass is half full. Think I'll check my 401k.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
A different spin on the chain saw issue.....I have DeWalt 20volt tools. That saws all will take down a good size limb or tree. Our son just bought a Milwaukee set. Their saws all has much better ergonomics than DeWalt. If you're packing a battery impact or drill, look at the matching saws all.
Could even carry it in your cargo trailer, or atv trailer, or motorcycle trailer, or even your boat trailer, or on your back seat if you don't want a trailer.
Merry Christmas y'all from Texas.
Sunny 68F.
Diesel $2.65
Dow up 106 S&P up 4
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

deserteagle56
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
At what point does it end. Your rig will not fit where you feel you have a right to go. So you cut a tree. If you are on your property, I have no issue. On my property? No! Public property? If you can use a power saw to move trees, what is my limit on smoothing the trail? A shovel? A pick? Blasting?

Obviously someone who has never been on public lands in the West.

87% of Nevada is owned by the Federal government and managed by either the Forest Service or BLM. There are thousand of miles of dirt roads running across those public lands...with one big problem - for the past 30+ years no money has ever been budgeted for maintaining those roads. So, if a road is washed out by a storm and you want to drive that road, it is up to you to make it passable. I carry a pick and a shovel for just that purpose. Some of those roads pass through groves of aspens, a very prolific tree. In just one year they can make a road impassable with the new branches they send over the roadway. Storms knock some of the trees over across the roadway. The Federal agency responsible is not about to send out a crew to prune trees or remove fallen ones. Pretty much everyone I know packs a chainsaw and if they come across a problem they take care of it.
1996 Bigfoot 2500 9.5 on a 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I camp different then most... My truck camper never leaves the house without one of my many Stihl chainsaws... When I am not taking the UTV trailer, my baby Stihl MS 170 goes with me for firewood and things that get in the way....

I new a guy that went back on an older logging road and a tree fell over the road after he went through. He didn't have an axe or a saw an he had to walk out for help.. That kind of stuff happens all the time around here in the mountains.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kkeller, pole saw is a good idea. Don't let the grinches ruin your Xmas or next camping trip!
Side note, I had to buy a climbing saw for work a couple years ago. Those little saws are awesome! Took it on one camper trip to the mountians. Wow, firewood made easier!
If I got serious about camping back country, one of those would be on the must have list!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold