cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False Tire PSI Reading

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
All I can find on searches is TPMS questions and this isn't really one of those.... I don't think.

We've had a cold snap and yesterday the light on my 2014 Ram started telling me I had a low tire. So, I stopped into the shop and the kid told me the front/right only had 35# (should be 60). I thought it was strange since my truck tells me all 4 corners and it said 55. So, today I go check to see if it's lost any and every time with 3 different hand gauges it tells me 30ish at first and when I try a couple more times it pops to 60. The interior gauge also is telling me 60.

My question is can valve stems be bad and not produce a correct reading at first attempt? I've never had this happen before but since my 3 hand gauges and tire store kid's hand gauge all do the same thing I'm thinking there is something wrong with the tire. The tires in question are only a few months old.
12 REPLIES 12

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible that there is a bit of moisture on or in the sensor, valve stem that froze and affecting the reading of both the sensor and external gauges. A little heat buildup and motion would free it up
Maybe an argument for using 99.9% nitrogen (it’s apparently drier) than regular compressed air.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
I would try a new valve stem core in the existing valve stem.
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I'm gonna say that maybe the actual valve stem is malfunctioning due to cold, corrosion, or crud.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
my 2015 Challenger uses battery-free sending units in the tires.

What do they use for power?
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Etstorm
Explorer
Explorer
I was told by a tire guy that the TPMS works on WiFi/Bluetooth. Any WiFi or blue tooth in the vehicle CAN interfere and give a false reading.

Cell phone, computer, etc

May not be the case here but worth checking

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:

New sensors are part of the valve stem now. Cost 20 some dollars each, depending where you buy them.

Interesting. Haven't heard or seen those types. My current and former vehicles all have stems replaced and existing TPMS reused when tires get replaced.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
It's still holding at 60 through today. It's just strange that my TPMS went off (likely due to cold and the psi dropping a bit) and then tire shop kid said it had 30 in it. fwiw, the tires are only a few months old and I hadn't ever checked the pressure yet.

Thanks everyone,

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
It’s not the tire, unless it’s leaking.
Does it have 30psi or 60? 30 is half flat, 60 is full. Easy to tell.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Not sure about your 2014 Ram but my 2015 Challenger uses battery-free sending units in the tires. The only down side of these is they aren't instantaneous when sitting still and making pressure changes. The tire has to make a few revolutions to report a change in pressure. I get an update after backing 10~15'.

EDIT: It looks like 2014 & 2015 RAMs still use batterys.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tvov wrote:
mtofell1 wrote:

My question is can valve stems be bad and not produce a correct reading at first attempt? ...

Valve stems certainly can be "bad"! And they are very easy (and usually inexpensively) replaced at most any shop or tire store.

Dirt, gunk, sludge or whatever can muck up a valve stem, and it is usually easier and quicker to just replace it. If there is a piece of dirt in the valve stem, it could be jamming randomly the movement of the valve, explaining weird psi readings.

New sensors are part of the valve stem now. Cost 20 some dollars each, depending where you buy them.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:

My question is can valve stems be bad and not produce a correct reading at first attempt? ...

Valve stems certainly can be "bad"! And they are very easy (and usually inexpensively) replaced at most any shop or tire store.

Dirt, gunk, sludge or whatever can muck up a valve stem, and it is usually easier and quicker to just replace it. If there is a piece of dirt in the valve stem, it could be jamming randomly the movement of the valve, explaining weird psi readings.

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if its just a issue with the cold temps allowing for false readings on the TPMS senders? I had many "false alarms" on my minivan with TPMS at extreme temps especially if parked up against a curb. Could there be some moisture in the valve stems causing errant readings on your gauge? Perhaps get it into a heated shop for a few hours and try your readings again. My 1 ton usually sits at 60-70psi for towing but was horrible on snow. I finally got smart and aired down to 45psi for winter driving as my contact patch at "towing specs" was tiny and dangerous! Hopefully this is just a weather issue and not batteries dying in the senders.
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)