cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front end work

albow
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago the tire shop said I needed Outer tie rods then and inners before too long. I got the outers done and am now going to do the inners. My cousin usually does work on my truck that I am unable to. My steering seems fine. My question is, while I am having him replace the inner tie rods, is there any reason to replace the ball joints or anything in the suspension while he's at it, just for avoiding repeat labor? 2003 Ram 3500 2WD 220,000 miles.
Alan & Tommie. 2003 Dodge 3500 SRW SLT Quad Cab, Cummins 5.9 HO, 6 speed manual and 3.73's. 2007 Pilgrim Legends Mid Profile 33RKS-M5 5th wheel, Prodigy, Superglide 14K hitch (already very glad I got it).
19 REPLIES 19

albow
Explorer
Explorer
Repair work got finished this weekend. No additional front end work appeared to be needed but a leaky power steering pump was found so there's going to be some more money spent soon. Oh well, tis the spending season, right?
Alan & Tommie. 2003 Dodge 3500 SRW SLT Quad Cab, Cummins 5.9 HO, 6 speed manual and 3.73's. 2007 Pilgrim Legends Mid Profile 33RKS-M5 5th wheel, Prodigy, Superglide 14K hitch (already very glad I got it).

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Now that’s funny!
You’re both mis interpreting each other...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
albow wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
albow wrote:
Well, it looks split on the ball joints, which was what I was thinking maybe on too. My cousin said he'd check them while fixing and I'll wait if still good. Thanks.

Replace the ball joints, it's time at 220K. A Broken ball joint is not something I would expose my family to. Park the truck until you can fix it right. JMO
No, nothing is split on the ball joints other than opinion. Truck still drives fine.

Best wishes to you.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

albow
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
albow wrote:
Well, it looks split on the ball joints, which was what I was thinking maybe on too. My cousin said he'd check them while fixing and I'll wait if still good. Thanks.

Replace the ball joints, it's time at 220K. A Broken ball joint is not something I would expose my family to. Park the truck until you can fix it right. JMO
No, nothing is split on the ball joints other than opinion. Truck still drives fine.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
albow wrote:

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Your lucky you dont have a 4x4. Look up Dodge death wobble. At 220K miles I would be looking at rebuilding the entire front end.

LOL or Ford and GM death wobble, they all do it!

OP pay them now or pay them later but you will be paying for an alignment each time! At 220K you should be looking ate upper and lower ball joints IMO. Just a heads up, it took me two days to replace the hubs on my 2004 2500 Ram! Make sure whoever does them cleans the pockets out and applies a good amount of never-seez, I used the copper base and stay with the MoPar hubs, the cheep-o ones last about six mouths!!! Was real happy I had used the Never-seez!

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Kevin_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
Just got my '02 2500 back from the shop. Lower control arms, pitman arm, stabilizer shock, upper ball joints (3rd set) tie rod ends. 290k, never had the death wobble, just a lot of slack in the steering. It is a 4x4. Drives a lot better, but isn't as tight or responsive as I'd hoped.
Kevin and Beth Todd
2016 Jayco Pinnacle 38 FLSA
2019 Ram 3500 Longhorn

albow
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
If you're not really sure what parts you need, it might be best to leave it to the guys doing the job. Advise them what brands you want, and you know about how much it should cost so you should be good. JMO of course.
That's what I'm doing. I'm running the list by him but he's having trouble with some of it too. Weird. Just a lot of things listed.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're not really sure what parts you need, it might be best to leave it to the guys doing the job. Advise them what brands you want, and you know about how much it should cost so you should be good. JMO of course.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

albow
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, there are several different looking pics of inner tie rod ends that supposedly fit my truck. Not sure which I need. Is this it? It says so but with all the different looking pics I don't know. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1057062&cc=1413559&jsn=2408&jsn=2408&jsn=2408&jsn=2408&jsn=2408

albow
Explorer
Explorer

albow
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Your lucky you dont have a 4x4. Look up Dodge death wobble. At 220K miles I would be looking at rebuilding the entire front end.
Yeah, I've heard about that.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Not alot of repeat labor to unhook the tie rods in the future. Like 5 minutes a piece.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
You normally have to buy upper control arms the first time you change ball joints. Not a big deal though.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.