cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HELP

MisconductOIB
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to start camping and I'm lost on tow vehicles. We really like the Keystone Sprinter 323BHS for it's layout but really lost on tow vehicle. It would be myself, wife two kids, two dogs and maybe another kid once in awhile. Obviously we are looking at a half ton SUV specifically the 2012 Ford Expedition but not sure we can handle that trailer. I know all the Ford numbers say we should be able to tow, but I've towed 10,000 pound boats with half ton trucks and it's not something I feel comfortable with on long distances. Would I run into the same situation with TT and Expedition. If so what do you recommend that can carry the amount of people cargo I'm looking at?
2016 Days camped
2013 Tracer Air 240
2012 Ford Expedition
11 REPLIES 11

MisconductOIB
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the input guys. You have confirmed my suspesions and I'm gonna rethink my tow vehicle or TT.
2016 Days camped
2013 Tracer Air 240
2012 Ford Expedition

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
Look for a clean low mile excusion and save a ton of money in the process.
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
The specs on the TT and the Expedition would indicate max tow capacity is between 8700 and 9200, depending on the model. And the 5.4 engine at 310 hp makes that SUv probably the lowest powered of the big boys. We just got DW her fourth one last week, so I can say from experience you'd be making a big mistake going with that combination. And while some of the half ton owners pull that weight, I wouldn't care to have my family riding so close to the margins. But maybe others have a different comfort level.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
I tow with an expedition. In my situation, I have about 20% between the gross weight and max tow capacity. I am not familiar with the weights on the TT you are looking at but just what I see here, I do not think the Expedition would be a good choice for you. The perfect towing SUV is the Ford Excursion, but the last year of production was 2005. As Eric suggested, I would look at the 3/4 Suburban or Yukon
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

eric_james
Explorer
Explorer
3/4 ton Suburban/Yukon XL or a 3/4 ton full size van minimum. No way with an Expy EL. That is a huge trailer to drag down the road.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
From Ford web site, these are numbers for 2012 Expedition:

Max tow 4X2 non EL 9200 EL version 8900
Max tow 4X4 non EL 9000 EL version 8700

Payload 4X2 non EL 1630 EL version 1585
Payload 4X4 non EL 1590 EL version 1530

The payload is weight capacity available for passengers, WD hitch, cargo, pets, and trailer tongue weight.

Loaded for camping, that trailer will have tongue weight around 1300 lbs. Add the WD hitch (100 lbs), and you only have 230 lbs left for passengers, pets, and cargo. Less if you get the 4X4 EL version.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
We tow with expeditions and love them but we have a 25 ft with half the dry weight you are looking at.
The tongue weight of that trailer unloaded is above the limit for a expedition not to mention what it will do to your payload.

There are people pulling longer with expeditions but they are ultra lights and weigh less.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
I would not feel safe pulling anything bigger than maybe a 24-26 foot trailer up to around 7500lbs with a F150 truck.

100% agree!

OP, looking at the specs of that TT and assuming the listed ship wieghts are correct, if you took the shipping weight of 8,655 lbs and then loaded the TT for camping, lets say your wet weight is 10k lbs, at 13% for an estimated tongue wieght, that would be 1300 lbs eating away at your payload. That will just about expire most 1/2 tons and not leave much payload for your vehicle, i.e. passengers, dogs, stuff, etc.

A 3/4 ton or 1 ton Crewcab truck with a canopy would work perfect for what you describe with that TT. 5 or 6 in the cab comfortably, dogs well protected in the back of the truck with the canopy.
I love me some land yachting

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Over 8000 lbs dry and 36' long, Your way out of the half ton range IMO. I agree with you that the brochures say some of the half tons can tow that weight but you couldn't make me do it with my family on board.

Your going to be in the neighborhood of 9000-9500 loaded, more if you fill water tanks. The 36" and that weight would make me to consider a dually. Your likely ok with a HD 3/4 ton. A diesel would be a good choice if your pulling any hills or just want a little better mileage and power.

Nothing worse than the tail wagging the dog and I'm one of the overkill on the truck school of thought guys to eliminate problems.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not feel safe pulling anything bigger than maybe a 24-26 foot trailer up to around 7500lbs with a F150 truck. You hear of alot folks doing it but for me it just would not be safe.
I guess I am just too chicken or too old school maybe...

I guess the Ford Expedition is considered a 3/4-ton truck. Having a good WDH system would be a MUST HAVE item.

My OFF-ROAD POPUP weighs in at 4200lbs loaded and my 2010 FX4 F150 truck with tow package doesn't know it is back there. Of course the POPUPs don't have any wind resistance per say... My gas mileage is about the same whether I am pulling this trailer or not...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
MisconductOIB wrote:
Would I run into the same situation with TT and Expedition. If so what do you recommend that can carry the amount of people cargo I'm looking at?

The TT will be worse than the boat because the amount of surface area you are dragging behind. That TT, with a GVWR of 11005lbs and at almost 37 feet, you are in 3/4 ton territory, minimum. There may be some that would be OK with a bigger 1/2 ton, but not me, at all.
I love me some land yachting