Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you store your camper in Arizona summer

a_c
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I have a 2008 Lance 825 and during the summer it gets to over 130F in the camper. It is crazy hot in there. What do you do to summerize your campers?

Is there any tricks to keeping it cooler, Like should I leave a fan on blowing the hot air out?

Cheers,
ac
11 REPLIES 11

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Seon, have your son watch for the birds and Al Hitchcock.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
a_c wrote:
Thanks for all of the suggestions. There are a lot that I haven't even thought of. I am probably going to try all of the above. Thanks again for all of your replies.

As other mentioned with covering the windows. I've seen quite a few of the "van life" folks using 1" foam board with the reflective bubble wrap on the window side. You cut the foam so it fits very snug into the window opening to seal well and hold it in place. Both windows and skylights. They seem to get very good results.
Ultimate is keeping the sun from even getting to your window glass/acrylic, so bubble foil on the outside would be even better. But it's a question of how to keep in place. Sticky tapes will just fail. Perhaps, and I'm just pondering over morning coffee here, foil bubble wrap covering a piece of plywood (1/8"). Epoxy 4 steel washers on the back and use magnets on the inside of the window to hold the reflective panel in place. Test first. If washers to magnets are strong enough for wind blowing, try magnet to magnet. Could make the panel oversize and put weather stripping around the edge as a gasket.
For the domed roof skylights Make a box out of the same materials and weigh it down or just use a big enough sheet of the bubble foil to cover and put good weights on the 4 corners. Box w/ weight might be less prone to wind movement. Dunno. Just spitballing this.
Or if you can get a big enough sheet of it, cover the whole roof and weight or ratchet strap it down. With cut outs if you have solar charging your batt's.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

a_c
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the suggestions. There are a lot that I haven't even thought of. I am probably going to try all of the above. Thanks again for all of your replies.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
We have a park model in Az. Put that Reclectix on all windows with thumbtacks (tape falls off in heat). We have a clean 30 gallon (?) Garbage can we put in bathtub and fill with water. ...leave the lid off. We got back last fall to 93 deg outside and 75 inside. Everything survived very well. :).
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cut pieces of Reflectix foam (the bubble wrap with silver coating available at hardware stores) and fit them to any ceiling hatches or skylights - it helps.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
My dad used to leave his travel trailer there once in a while and all the RVers down there told him to leave several water jugs open for the humidity...Worked well,he said..No issues with his rig from leaving it there when he returned in the fall...
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
cheap fix put some 4x8 sheets of foam on the roof .will help

bdpreece
Explorer
Explorer
keep it under cover then place several 5 gallon buckets full of water around to help keep the humidity up,
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
My son lives in Gilbert, AZ and just towed a TT here and currently camping at Bodega Bay, CA for a month to get away from the AZ heat. He rents a covered space there at a storage yard year round though.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in the shade.
I kept my old camper in the shade the last few years in the same temperatures (actually I think the interior was coming to 150F) and this summer put it in full sun and 20 years old table split the top covering .

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Blowing out the hot air will bring in the outside 130F air. Your batteries will toast in those temps.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad