cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need tires on my Ram Tow Vehicle.

Spade_Cooley
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 with Hemi that is 4X4. I love the truck and thus far I've towed my older trailer with the stock Wranglers. My new TT is a Rockport Ultralite at around 6500 LBS. The truck tire size is P275/60R20. I've been looking at Coopers, General Grabbers and Hankook. So far so good on towing with the old Wranglers but I'm going to take a long trip and want a decent set. Do I need something special to tow or will any LT tire work? What do you like?
23 REPLIES 23

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
azrving wrote:
Oem Firestone Transforce went 40k. Michelin Defender LTX went 67k

Tell me your secret. My OEM Transforce HTs were shot after 24K miles.

I towed a lot on those tires and the main thing i would say is that they were never in real hot temps, speeds 65 or less and not overloaded. I was going to try and drive them even farther but I noticed areas of separation with chunks of rubber coming off.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
Oem Firestone Transforce went 40k. Michelin Defender LTX went 67k

Tell me your secret. My OEM Transforce HTs were shot after 24K miles.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
I have Cooper Discoverer tires on my Ram 1500 and they've been really good. Very happy with them.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
jimx200 wrote:
Any tire except Goodyear. Can't believe the buck passing the CEO did with their support of BLM, but not LE or Trump. One of the largest freight companies in the US just announced that Goodyear is off their list.

From now on I'll be buying nothing but Goodyear tires.

The heck with orange man the putin puppet.
Just say no to the payload police :C

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
TurnThePage wrote:
I think people routinely overlook the fact that P rated tires are rated significantly higher than the GAWR. That's still true after derating them by 10%. I've been towing with overloaded half ton trucks for almost 20 years. Properly cared for and aired up P rated tires work fine. Nothing wrong with LT tires, just don't sell the P metric short.

^ Heres someone who’s done more things than he talks about!
And he speaks the truth.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
Any tire except Goodyear. Can't believe the buck passing the CEO did with their support of BLM, but not LE or Trump. One of the largest freight companies in the US just announced that Goodyear is off their list.

Waunacamper
Explorer
Explorer
Both 18 and 20 inch rims are a factory option, so the computer must have an electronic switch somewhere to reprogram the wheel size?

The rim size is different but the tire diameter is the same for both.
2017 ORV Timber Ridge 27BHS
2015 Ram 2500 (6.4/4.10)

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
bnardini wrote:
I like Michelin Defender LTX. I'm on my 4th set and haven't had so much as a slow leak. They are also load range E.

Iirc they are rated at 50k warranty. Im very happy to be able to catch 17,000 extra miles vs coming in under what they state. Ive had two other vehicles that had front end shakes One was an olds alero that i bought used with three different brand tires on it but it rode fine. I took it in and had coopers installed and it developed a shake I took it back right away and the shop owner and i went for a ride. Yep it shakes so he rebalanced and it still shook. He then dismounted and moved the tire position and rebalanced and it still shook. He then installed a new tire and it shook. He said that’s about as good as it gets and most people drive around town so they don’t notice. Thats not going to work for me, it didn’t shake with junk tires so what do i need to do. He said get continental, michelin or one other I cant remember. I got michelin and it was perfect Two sons with CTD and both have michelin

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
GordonThree wrote:
I had wrangler silent armor with kevlar on my '13 Outdoorsman ... They felt great and towed well, but only 35000 miles and they were going bald. These were oem tires.
My OEM Wranglers (AT/S) went just short of 90,000. Got 70,000 out of Silent Armor (2 sets). Now have All-Terrain and I expect same unless they age out. These are all LT tires.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I think people routinely overlook the fact that P rated tires are rated significantly higher than the GAWR. That's still true after derating them by 10%. I've been towing with overloaded half ton trucks for almost 20 years. Properly cared for and aired up P rated tires work fine. Nothing wrong with LT tires, just don't sell the P metric short.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
I had Coopers on my Dodge Diesel and had great luck with them. Have them on our cars now with good success.
Don't buy Goodyear after what they did today!

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
The Wranglers didn't last that long, but they were a great towing tire when I had them on my Ram 1500. I just aired them to their max pressure and it handled very well. I replaced them with Cooper ATs which ended up being a downgrade as far as towing was concerned. That was before this newest generation of Cooper tires though. I'm currently running Nitto Ridge Grapplers in a P Metric size and they perform admirably. I definitely understand peoples urge to go to LT tires, but I don't think it's necessary at the weights you're talking about. JMHO

Better to have tires that are tougher than needed rather than have tires that are barely adequate being run at their limit.
Just say no to the payload police :C

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I had wrangler silent armor with kevlar on my '13 Outdoorsman ... They felt great and towed well, but only 35000 miles and they were going bald. These were oem tires.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
The Wranglers didn't last that long, but they were a great towing tire when I had them on my Ram 1500. I just aired them to their max pressure and it handled very well. I replaced them with Cooper ATs which ended up being a downgrade as far as towing was concerned. That was before this newest generation of Cooper tires though. I'm currently running Nitto Ridge Grapplers in a P Metric size and they perform admirably. I definitely understand peoples urge to go to LT tires, but I don't think it's necessary at the weights you're talking about. JMHO
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE