cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Need of a 2013 Ram 3500 Switch Bank Wiring Harness

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
I have been having issues with the Switch bank which controls the Tow Haul, Exhaust brake, park Sensor which is all located below the Uconnect. Sometimes it works, other times nothing, or 30 min down the road it works. The dealer a couple months ago replaced the switch bank and everything worked. Now it works as I mentioned and the diagnosis is a short in the wiring harness. Problem now is that the harness has been discontinued. I really don't understand that when the truck is only 8 years old but what do I know. And with what did they replace it with if anything. Can someone direct me to help find this part or recommend something else?
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie
16 REPLIES 16

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
A possibility.
TDR forum, same year truck, same issue, but totally dead switches (not intermittent), even after a new switch assembly.

"Just an update: I did take the truck to the dealer, who was certain it was the set of faulty switches. He did order, installed...and still the buttons did not work. Then he checked for power at the switches and there was none. (I would have thought checking for power should have been step one??) Regardless, they followed the power to a corroded spring type connector, replaced the $1.20 part, charged for 3 hours labour and sent me on my way. All is working."

IMO, get off RVnet and start researching other sites.
I just googled your issue and there is a bunch of info about it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
SweetLou wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Sorry, I'm of no help, but, man, what a terrible turn of events.
Having been on (too many) forums for these trucks, cannot say I've heard of that issue until now. Best of luck getting it repaired!

But, are you saying that whole switch bank was intermittent or not operable at all prior to the first replacement of the switch bank and then it worked 100% of the time for a couple months and is now intermittent again?
If so, that seems to me to be either the new switch bank or possibly a bad connection. If the new switch fixed the same condition previously.

Yes on all points. It fixed the issue then went bad. Many variables now. Could even be an open not a short and need solder. Any good shops for electrical in Spokane? And I might just have them replace the switch again.

To me, this really leads to a defective part and not a random short in the harness.
I believe the switch bank is just that, switches, possibly a common power source to the unit. I know it seems low odds that it's a bad part, but the last new switch wouldn't have "fixed" a different issue in the first place.
That's my process of deduction.
Do a little research, but I bet you could have the dash apart and swap switches in under an hour with nothing more than a set of basic hand tools. Think of it this way, the cost of a new switch assembly is probably half of what even a diagnostic charge is from a shop.
Quick search shows a bunch of Utoob videos to walk one through it, even.

Possibility that it's the BCM or wherever the signals are sent to, or the harness, but based on previous replacement solving it, I'm still headed there.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
SweetLou wrote:
IdaD wrote:
You're out of warranty, get it to a good diesel shop and to heck with the dealer service department.

Name one because I really don't know of any around Spokane. PM me

I don't live in Spokane so I can't help you there. Boise area I'd recommend Big Twin or Gem State if you want to take a road trip.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Here is another point that everyone with a Ram should take note. How is an electrical wiring harness part obsolete in only 8 years? Why would I need to go to a junkyard to find this part? I think I am done with Ram no matter how Cummins faithful I am. If the truck was still under warranty what the hell would they do?
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Having been on (too many) forums for these trucks, cannot say I've heard of that issue until now. Best of luck getting it repaired!

But, are you saying that whole switch bank was intermittent or not operable at all prior to the first replacement of the switch bank and then it worked 100% of the time for a couple months and is now intermittent again?
If so, that seems to me to be either the new switch bank or possibly a bad connection. If the new switch fixed the same condition previously.

Yes on all points. It fixed the issue then went bad. Many variables now. Could even be an open not a short and need solder. Any good shops for electrical in Spokane? And I might just have them replace the switch again.
We love our Westie

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
How about a wiring harness from a truck in a junk yard?

That is what Spaulding does as someone previously said. I did call them and they have something but trying to get part number first.
We love our Westie

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
OOps - Operator error

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
How about a wiring harness from a truck in a junk yard?

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
You're out of warranty, get it to a good diesel shop and to heck with the dealer service department.

Name one because I really don't know of any around Spokane. PM me
We love our Westie

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'd also ask your question on Cumminsforum or one of the others.
Huge knowledge base and you have a seemingly needle in the haystack type issue.
Good luck!

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Shame you do not have part number. You could check with Spaldings
I doubt whether your dealer will check with Dave Smith!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Those switch panels are quite inexpensive both new and used (<$100) and plug and play I believe. I'd be thinking about replacing that again personally before going down the wiring harness rabbit hole.
Just a thought.
Plus if you had a dealer do the prior replacement, is it under warranty?
And how did they diagnose the wiring harness, just by default since the switches are new?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III