cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my truck big enough?

maxattack
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a 2012 ford f150 supercrew with a v8 5.0 axel ratio 3.55. According to the owners manual max trailer weight is 7700 with max GCWR 13500.

We are new to rving and looking at getting a zinger by crossroads. Model 328SB

dry weight 7734
GVWR 9740
lenght 36'6"

Looking for some seasoned RV'er out there to give me some good advice. I just want our truck-trailer combination to be safe.

thank you for your advice.
33 REPLIES 33

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
cockroach wrote:
That dry weight that you stated probably does not include Propane and the Battery.

The dry weight listed on my trailer bochure was over 500lbs less than what the spec sheet said.....it listed every part, ie. AC, miniblinds, coffee maker, etc.
All the dealer installed options were added up on the sheet and added to the weight. I dont know if they do that on new trailers or not but it added 10% to the TT weight.

cockroach
Explorer
Explorer
That dry weight that you stated probably does not include Propane and the Battery.
Good Health is merely the slowest way you can die !!!🙂

dirtyhandz
Explorer
Explorer
I see a "tail wagging the Dog" situation in your future with that rig.
Those never end up well......

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
I have the exact same truck as you, just a year newer and there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY I would EVER consider towing anything that big PERIOD.

Look at something in the 6-6.5K loaded range max because by the time you get loaded up with everything, you'll be at the limit of what the truck can do.

Your truck and your nerves will thank you in the end.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Ever notice you can't buy a "too big" truck, only too small.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
It has been my experience that when a vehicle is seriously mismatched to the load you know it.

Also, when the tow vehicle is 200 lbs. over the max cargo limit, it handles about the same as when it is 200 lbs. under the max cargo limit. You are hauling a load either way and the harder you work your vehicle the more wear and tear you experience.

My first towing experience was with an F-150 that had enough towing and cargo capacity but only had a 200 hp. motor with a four speed transmission. Slow to accelerate difficult to keep from down shifting. Some might consider it a white knuckle drive.

We had a great time in the Ozarks because I only asked the vehicle to do what it was designed to do. That meant 60 mph on the flats and 50 to 55 in the hills, while constantly adjusting the gas peddle to keep from down shifting. It reminded me of the 1955 Ford my dad gave me to drive in high school.

Naturally we upgraded to a newer E-Boost F-150.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too heavy especially if you are just starting out.
Buy a lighter trailer or get a bigger truck.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need a bigger truck - it's just that simple. Even *if* you could get it to move, you won't like how it accelerates, how it pulls up steeper grades and how it feels at speed on highways.

When we bought our current 6800 lb TT, we sold our F150 and got a V10 F250 with 4.1 gears. The 3/4 ton truck is amazing and a huge step up from the 1/2 ton. It's so much beefier all round. Until you have or try one, you won't know how much better a 3/4 ton truck is. We once towed a TT with an F150 that was at it's tow capacity limit and it was AWFUL in every way. I'll never forget going up Grants Pass in OR on the shoulder along with the semis trucks at 35 mph with foot flat to the floor...

Order that new truck before sundown tonight and report back tomorrow... 🙂

Ps: If you you don't absolutely need 4WD, get 2WD.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
RV owners tend to add 600-1500 pounds of things from manufacturer's dry weight, and loaded tongue weight tends to go up by 150-250 pounds. So that TT will be 8500-9000 pounds when loaded for a long weekend. That is more than the capability of 99.5% of half ton pickups on the roads. Stick to around 6k dry, use a WDH with integrated sway control. This also assumes you have >1400 pounds of payload and do not pan to take a bed full of firewood.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If people are over by 50-100lbs, I don't get too concerned but you are there before you even start. That empty weight usually doesn't include any options. By the time you load up you will be overweight by 20-30% of the tow limit.

I'm also betting you are over the hitch weight limit and a few other limits.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
1stgenfarmboy wrote:
Just figgure your TT is going to weigh the max weight on the tag, forget about the min weight.

get a TT that the max weight is less than the trucks tow rating

X2

Good basic advice.

If you have to analyze the numbers to get by on the bare minimum you are already chasing it

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
From my experience. I towed our 33 ft TT approx 7300lbs ready to camp. for about 3 months with my trusty 2000 f150 5.4 gasser. I still drive it every day. Could I do it? Yes.

was it comfortable? Not really.

I bought a f250 super duty and have towed TT about 5k miles since. Feels like I'm towing a utility trailer now.

If you want to get by with f150 keep doing it. If u want a comfortable towing experience get a 3/4 ton.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
It is a simple question easily resolved. Your truck has a max cargo limit on what it will carry. Regardless of the motor or gearing.

About 12 to 13 % of the trailer weight is transferred to the tongue. That means before you add anything to your trailer you have about 1000 lbs. on the tongue. Not much cargo capacity left for family, toys any gear.

In the end you will find an F-150 is best suited for a 5000 lb. dry weight trailer once it and the truck are loaded for the road.

The scales do not lie or exaggerate.

When I doubt, rent what you want first.

Good luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Listen to 1stgenfarmbiy. Follow his advice.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad