cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lance Lite 845 on F-250

4x4crazy
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at a 2001 Lance Lite 845 to go onto my 2017 F-250 (Crew cab, 4x4, diesel, short bed). I don't think my truck will have any problem. I may be towing at the same time up to 5000lbs with about a 400lb tongue weight. My dealer wants me to install Timbrens, torqlift frame mount and fast guns. Is this the preffered method?

The camper doesn't have power jacks but the owner uses a power drill. Its a bit older t 2001 but I think with the low price it will be good to start getting out and seeing more of what I want and how much this gets used.

Any opinions on set up or the Lance Lite 845?
2017 Ford F-250 Platinum, Crew Cab, SB
6.7L Powerstroke Diesel, 3.31 Gears, 4x4
16 REPLIES 16

Tee
Explorer
Explorer
Had an '05 845 on a '04 Ram 2500 4x4. It did need air bags but it handled it very well. I did no mods other than air bags to that setup.
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie 4x4
2015 Raptor 300MP ~ FOR SALE
Mega Cab Dually CTD 4x4 ~ Sold
Lance 861 ~ Sold

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Timbrens when set up right will have a gap before contacting the stops....so you get a OEM ride when empty. Timbren will work with you on getting the right suspension rate for your truck.
I wouldn't buy anything till you load the camper and make a 10 mile or longer trip down the road....then decide if the rear suspension needs help.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Americamper
Explorer
Explorer
I had Timbrens and had them set right and they rode like rocks.
2000 F250 Superduty 7.3 SB SRW, E rated Michelins, Torklifts, fastguns,2004 Northstar Laredo, , Ducati Hypermotard 1100, KTM 250XC

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
The fastguns are quite pricey, I chose the springload XL one at half the price. Airbags are a softer ride than Timbrens, both will do just fine. Have fun. ๐Ÿ™‚
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Put a used 845 Lite on my new 2006 GMC 2500HD 13 years ago. Have put about 125K miles on the camper. Added airbags first, then Bilstein heavy duty shocks, then TorkLift Stableload spring gadgets. Ride seems fine to me. When fully loaded for long term travel, I'm just under the 9200 lb GVWR of my truck.

Did upgrade my tires to the next larger size (265X75)after seeing wear in the OEM ones.

I have the TorkLift frame mounts and the Fastgun hold downs and like them.

Good luck.
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Never saw a Lance that was 'Lite' or Light.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Youโ€™ll likely be over the GVWR, but not over the rear axle rating and tire rating as long as you have the rear tires near the max. Iโ€™m assuming that will be 80 lbs. I think youโ€™ll be good to go to try it.

Last time I checked, besides badging, the difference between the F250 and F350 is the block under the springs in the rear and the rated capacity. You may need airbags, stableloads, or timbrens to level the vehicle. With airbags, Iโ€™d also add extended bump stops of some type. The difference is likely going to show up unloaded more than loaded. For that reason, Iโ€™d try it stock, first.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

4x4crazy
Explorer
Explorer
Just looked at my window sticker and tires. My truck has the upgraded 10,000lb gvwr. No spring or stabilizer bar upgrades. Has a stabilizer bar up front. Tires show a 3850lb rating. Load range E michelin.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
mbloof wrote:
Unless I'm mistaken I thought the 945 is a 9-9.6' camper wanting a long bed to haul it around on. Learn something new everyday.

Probably, but OP is asking about the Lite 845.

In any case, Iโ€™d add the tiedown mounts, fastguns, and try it out assuming your tires are the heavy enough. What are your tires rated at max pressure?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
4x4crazy wrote:
Camper weight is 1900lb dry. Truck doesnt have the camper prep package but it does have the fifth wheel prep package with the 7 pin connector in the bed. Are the airbags better than timbrens?

I have a much heavier camper on a 17' long bed SC.

Both the timbrens and air bags will work. Airbags are adjustable, timbrens not so much. Airbags will allow you to level your rig with the camper on it but since the rear is effectively riding on two balloons it will be bouncier and have more sway then the timbrens.

The timbrens won't level the rear end but the rubber bump stops are progressive and can reduce the amount of rear end squat.

Unless I'm mistaken I thought the 945 is a 9-9.6' camper wanting a long bed to haul it around on. Learn something new everyday.

Frank_Mehaffey
Explorer
Explorer
Does the 5th wheel package include the anti sway? I can't speak from experience with the timbren's, but they seem to have a good rep. It seems to me, that not being adjustable is their biggest difference from an air bag system. That and the price is less, and maintenance is not an issue.

4x4crazy
Explorer
Explorer
Camper weight is 1900lb dry. Truck doesnt have the camper prep package but it does have the fifth wheel prep package with the 7 pin connector in the bed. Are the airbags better than timbrens?

Frank_Mehaffey
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have the camper package on your 250? It has stiffer springs in front, an overload leaf addition in the rear and a rear anti-sway bar. At least on the 8' bed model that I have. The timbrens are easier to install and maintain, but you can't raise the back end to compensate for a heavier load (boat)as you can with air bags. If you are in an area that uses salt or brine on the roads, I would get some sort of quick loads that are all stainless steel. I got the ones that are not, and will be replacing them this year. Any sort of hitch extension pretty much cuts what you should tow in half. I tow a boat with my camper on, my tow is about 2000 lbs. and when I did it before installing the air bags, it was well to anticipate bumps and rebound.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Here comes COG education again. For some reason moderators don't like the subject and keep closing those topics.
So for starters - do you know the camper weight?
Assuming it will put +- 3000lb on rear axle and adding +- 3500lb truck rear axle own weight, do you have tires to hold it?
Now the 400lb tongue weight will add 500lb to rear axle without extension.
Add 2 foot extension and that can make over 600lb added to rear axle.
Got the drift?