cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need new tires??

dfoxhoven
Explorer
Explorer
So coming home from our trip this weekend, I had one of my tires blowout. I have a 2009 KZ Spree 324bhs GVWR (7950). It came with Milestar tires ST205/R75/15...i have 3 questions:

1) Do I need to replace all 4 since I had a blow out or just the one that blew out (not exactly sure how many miles I have on them, but tread still looks good using the old Penny method).
2) Do I need to replace them with 15" or can I go up to a 16" to give me a little more clearance (and help with sewer emptying)?
3) Does anyone recommend or have good experiences with certain brand/type??

I'm a novice when it comes to tires...so all suggestions welcome!

Thanks
'13 Coachmen 310bhds
2005 Ford F350 Lariat 6.0L SuperDuty
Daryl
Bri
Kaisen
Keelyn
Cabela and Tucker (Dogs)
15 REPLIES 15

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Yes, so long as there is not duals to deal with. A 225/85R15 would "buy" you more clearance than the /75

dfoxhoven wrote:
So as long as I keep my tire diameter at 15" I can go wider and with a different aspect ratio?

So I my tires are 205/75R/15 Load C....does this mean I can go with 225/75R15 load D
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
dfoxhoven wrote:
Bob Landry wrote:
dfoxhoven wrote:
So as long as I keep my tire diameter at 15" I can go wider and with a different aspect ratio?

So I my tires are 205/75R/15 Load C....does this mean I can go with 225/75R15 load D

Yes, you can. The width is going to be slightly more, but the main difference is going to be the max pressure. The Load Range D tires are going to run at 65PSI, so you ned to make sure your rims are rated for he additional pressure.

How do I know what PSI my rims are rated to run at?

Usually it's stamped somewhere on the run, sometimes on the back side. You can always call the trailer manufacturer and see who the supplier was and call their cust service.
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, didn't see this mentioned...

Do you service your bearings? Your tire may have blown from overheating which could be caused by a bearing issue or improperly working brakes. Best to get the bearings repacked and the brakes adjusted/inspected too.
I love me some land yachting

dfoxhoven
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Landry wrote:
dfoxhoven wrote:

Yes, you can. The width is going to be slightly more, but the main difference is going to be the max pressure. The Load Range D tires are going to run at 65PSI, so you ned to make sure your rims are rated for he additional pressure.

How do I know what PSI my rims are rated to run at?
'13 Coachmen 310bhds
Daryl
Bri
Kaisen
Keelyn
Cabela and Tucker (Dogs)

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
dfoxhoven wrote:

dfoxhoven
Explorer
Explorer

'13 Coachmen 310bhds
Daryl
Bri
Kaisen
Keelyn
Cabela and Tucker (Dogs)

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

If you wish more clearance then consider moving to the a wider tire.

For example I'm going to move from 225R7016 to 235R8516, which will give me an extra inch of clearance and an improvement on load capacity of over 300 lbs per tire. As a side benefit the rolling resistance drops as the tires get wider.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
dfoxhoven wrote:
So coming home from our trip this weekend, I had one of my tires blowout. I have a 2009 KZ Spree 324bhs GVWR (7950). It came with Milestar tires ST205/R75/15...i have 3 questions:

1) Do I need to replace all 4 since I had a blow out or just the one that blew out (not exactly sure how many miles I have on them, but tread still looks good using the old Penny method).Yes, I would replace all the tires including the spare tire.
2) Do I need to replace them with 15" or can I go up to a 16" to give me a little more clearance (and help with sewer emptying)?I would stay with what the trailer mfg put on the (the 15", right) for numerous reasons.
3) Does anyone recommend or have good experiences with certain brand/type??Yes, Maxxis tires are in my opinion, the best way to go. They're made in Thailand and are just about bullet-proof.

Thanks

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

JAL_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced my stock Maxxis ST's on the Eagle after 7 years due to aging. Went to Discount Tire and had them order same tires and install. Have had no issues with Maxxis.

Based on your model year of '09, your tires are likely 5 years old or so, and getting close to aging out. I recommend replacing them all.
JAL
2002 Burb 2500 LT, 8.1L, Autoride, 4x4
2005 Jayco Eagle 298BHS
๐Ÿ™‚Check It OutReese HP 1,200 Lb. Bars WD/Dual Cam HP Sway Control/Prodigyยฎ Brake Control

Family: Two Baby Boomers with Two Generation Y Kids -- All RV Generation

CAMPED IN:

dfoxhoven
Explorer
Explorer
I have Load Range C. I'm not opposed to moving to an LT Tire if it makes sense...but I don't want to have to change out my RIM's...I'd like to keep the Rims so as not to increase cost. As mentioned, I'm a novice at this tire thing...so I'm looking to get something better than what I had. My GAWR is 3500#
'13 Coachmen 310bhds
Daryl
Bri
Kaisen
Keelyn
Cabela and Tucker (Dogs)

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't say what load range your 15" tires are but;

A ST205/75-15 C 50 psi has a 1820 lb load rating.

A ST205/75-15 D 65 psi has a 2150 lb load rating.

Goodyear Wrangler HT has is excellent LT215/85-15 D at 2095 lbs capacity upgrade from a ST tire.
Also several USA brands in a LT235/75-15 C at 1980 lb may be another option.

Maxxis make a good commercial grade LT in their U-168 Bravo in several 15" sizes.

Yokohama makes a RY215 in a LT700R 15" D load range.
Continential Vanco 2 in a all position 205/70R 15".

Check to your satisfaction for proper tire diameter/rim width/pressure ratings for your current 15" trailer wheels and clearance issues for your specific trailer. All 15" trailer wheels have a broad range of width/load and pressure ratings so be aware.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
CapriRacer wrote:

Third, anyone who suggests you try LT tires isn't paying attention to your CURRENT tire size. There just aren't LT tires that can replace your current ST's without doing a thorough investigation - wheels and clearance checks. It's a bit of work. but if you want to know what to do, post back.

Not true at all. Tires with the same width, aspect ration and rim size are going to be nearly identical in physical size. The difference is in the type and amount of material used in the sidewall, the number of plys and the thread thickness and rubber composition.
Most of the online tire dealers have tire calculators that let you plug in parameters and find replacement size tires, similar diameters, revs per mile, etc. It all based on size parameters with no reference at all as to whether you are searching for a P, LT, or ST tire.

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
First, it is very likely that you will need to replace all 4 tires. ST tires do not last very long (as in time, not wear) Anything older than 5 years is suspect - and some would argue for a even shorter period of time.

Second, what Load Range ST205/75R15 do you have? If you can, go up a load range and use the higher pressure.

If you're at the highest Load Range, go up a size (to ST225/75R15, same load range)

Third, anyone who suggests you try LT tires isn't paying attention to your CURRENT tire size. There just aren't LT tires that can replace your current ST's without doing a thorough investigation - wheels and clearance checks. It's a bit of work. but if you want to know what to do, post back.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
dfoxhoven wrote:

1) Do I need to replace all 4 since I had a blow out or just the one that blew out (not exactly sure how many miles I have on them, but tread still looks good using the old Penny method).
2) Do I need to replace them with 15" or can I go up to a 16" to give me a little more clearance (and help with sewer emptying)?
3) Does anyone recommend or have good experiences with certain brand/type??

Thanks

If you do a search on this Forum using a search term such as "Chinese Tires" or "China Bombs", you'll find enough on the subject to stock a library. What you buy is up to you, but many here, replace their Asian made ST tires with a light truck tire. Caveat there is to make sure you are not derating your trailer axle's load bearing capacity by buying a tire (LT or ST) with a load rating less than the current tire's capacity.

At a minimum, you might be wise to replace the blown tire and the other tire on the same side of the trailer, since the "good" tire suddenly was carrying the entire axle load on that side of the trailer. Or, you write your tires are original equipment to the trailer and are likely approaching or are 5 years of age. If that is the case, I would opt to replace all of them, regardless of appearance and remaining tread.