cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need some help please

KM_Rolling
Explorer
Explorer
I've searched the forum, and google...can't find the answer.

We have our trailer set up for traveling and camping in below freezing temps.

All is good at keeping warm inside, and all the tanks & plumbing are heated/taken care of.

What is not taken care of is keeping the steps from icing up.

We have just two metal steps (they fold up outside when traveling), they have grating on them, so plenty of traction, except when there is ice on them.

Will those wrap around mats take care of that? It seems like they would ice up the same as the metal?

Any and all suggestions welcome.

TIA
Kevin & Mary
2018 Ford F150 3.5 EB HDPP 8' Bed - For Sale
2020 Ford F350 6.7 PSD 4X4 DRW CC LB
2019 Coachmen 271BL Toy Hauler
9 REPLIES 9

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Throw a welcome mat over the stairs at night then kick it off in the morning.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

KM_Rolling
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the ideas. Appreciate it.
Kevin & Mary
2018 Ford F150 3.5 EB HDPP 8' Bed - For Sale
2020 Ford F350 6.7 PSD 4X4 DRW CC LB
2019 Coachmen 271BL Toy Hauler

kcfissel
Explorer
Explorer
The stair mats ice up as well. Ask me how I know.

I slipped in the top one and fell (inside the doorway). I really bent my other knee while it was crunched in the doorway. It was the farthest it bent in a loonng time, and hurt a lot. Didn't fall on my head though.
Ken

โ€œneedsโ€ and โ€œwantsโ€ are pesky things to distinguish, and the bigger the peskierโ€ฆ

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Kitty litter.
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
when it starts that nasty stuff that makes your steps slippery we throw a garbage sack over them.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

TwoManyToyz
Explorer
Explorer
Salt

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Or if just a thin layer pour a little hot water on them before stepping out of the trailer. Then fold them in until you get ready to go back in.

If entering the trailer and the steps are extended you can scrape them off. I keep a small broom next to the inside of the door to sweep out dirt and sweep snow off the steps. When the snow ices up or gets crusty I have a short flat point shovel I keep under the rear bunk which is also accessible through a baggage door. It is part of my outdoor gear. I use it to clean heavier snow off the steps before entering or exiting the trailer then pour a little hot water on them to finish off.

If you have plenty of power available and want to get fancy, you could add some heat tape with a thermostat control like the type used on metal pipe subject to freezing, to the underside of each step and set the thermostat to just below freezing. just remember to unplug it before folding in the steps.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
They do help, but can still get slick if things ice up. Consider a can of deicer.