cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need tires on my Ram Tow Vehicle.

Spade_Cooley
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 with Hemi that is 4X4. I love the truck and thus far I've towed my older trailer with the stock Wranglers. My new TT is a Rockport Ultralite at around 6500 LBS. The truck tire size is P275/60R20. I've been looking at Coopers, General Grabbers and Hankook. So far so good on towing with the old Wranglers but I'm going to take a long trip and want a decent set. Do I need something special to tow or will any LT tire work? What do you like?
23 REPLIES 23

bnardini
Explorer
Explorer
I like Michelin Defender LTX. I'm on my 4th set and haven't had so much as a slow leak. They are also load range E.
Bill & Lori Nardini finally on the road!
2008 Tundra SR5 doublecab
2009 Jayco 31 RKS G2

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Oem Firestone Transforce went 40k. Michelin Defender LTX went 67k

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using Cooper tires for the last few years and have been happy with them.
Continentals in the same size as yours came on our new truck.
I usually have about 1100-1200 pounds of cargo and tongue weight.
So far, the P tires have been fine. I air them to 45 psi when towing and 35 psi when not.
When they need replacing, I will probably go with Cooper LTs.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
GordonThree wrote:
I was considering the same, switching my grocery getter from 20 inch passenger car tires to 18 inch truck tires (range E)

I'm not a fan of how these factory low profile 20" tires handle my trailer, and with a max sidewall of only 51 psi, they're not cut out for towing.

Both 18 and 20 inch rims are a factory option, so the computer must have an electronic switch somewhere to reprogram the wheel size?

There’s plenty of 65psi tires in your size.
Not against E load tires, but you’re not likely to carry enough Weight to actually need an E load tire.
20s are great for towing. Less sidewall = less sidewall flex.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wrangler Duratrac or All-Terrain with Kevlar is my choice. Not all Wrangler are the same.

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Hankook makes an LT 10 ply in the stock size. I'm waiting for a set to come in for my 11 Ram 1500.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had Coopers on my last truck and will need new tires next summer. I will go with Coopers again. I think they were the Discover ATP. Will buy them again. Aggressive tread but super quiet on the road. Lasted a long time on my old F250.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I was considering the same, switching my grocery getter from 20 inch passenger car tires to 18 inch truck tires (range E)

I'm not a fan of how these factory low profile 20" tires handle my trailer, and with a max sidewall of only 51 psi, they're not cut out for towing.

Both 18 and 20 inch rims are a factory option, so the computer must have an electronic switch somewhere to reprogram the wheel size?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I ran Generals on my Excursion when I had it. They wore good and I never had an issue. I would definitely recommend LT tires if you can find them in a 20" size.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!