cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Trailer traveler - light weight, single

Bluecatch9
Explorer
Explorer
Considering going full time with pulling a light, small, 16-18 foot trailer - something like the 2019 Gulf Stream Amerilite Ameri-Lite Super Lite 16BHC - I would be traveling for work in the sports field - I'll leave it at that for certain professional reasons. It will be just me in it only. I would likely stop in friends places on occasion - and seasonally visit (and work) up north visiting the kids houses. So no cost there. Plan to boon-dock quite a bit. But will need to dump tanks and refill water. Although it will be just one person using the bathroom - that is an important issue for me for health reasons.

Questions are:
1. How difficult is it to find dumping stations - and water refilling stations - and how expensive is it to dump and re-fill?
2. How bad will gas mileage suffer from pulling - even a light trailer - 2500-3500 lbs?
3. How do you keep the trailer from getting stolen - I assume there are hitch locks out there - and how to keep from getting broken into - I assume there are wireless gadgets with phone notifications. There will be many "venues" that will allow me to park there during the event - and even all day - but I assume tat over night will not be an option. Walmarts that are open 24hrs?
4. Renting a campsite every night is too costly and would make the whole endeavor impractical. But I'm thinking I would only need to park at a campground occasionally - Once per week? Once every 2 weeks perhaps? (One person)

Would like to hear thoughts from the veterans out there about how long I would be able to go between dumpings/refillings.

Thanks
20 REPLIES 20

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
With a 50 gal water tank, I can scratch out 10 days in the summer, showering daily when I've used my camper for out of town work. That's pretty much 2 min showers, doing dishes conservatively with the water and flushing only a few poops.
IMO 5 gal/ day/ person min, not including drinking water.
if I were you I'd find a deal on a cheap used camper and try it out before going whole hog. I love staying in the camper but considering, by your first post, you have little camping experience, no rv experience and no towing experience, may want to make sure it's the life for you before having a good deal of sunk cost into one.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
1. How difficult is it to find dumping stations - and water refilling stations - and how expensive is it to dump and re-fill?

Where? In the West, not that difficult or expensive.

2. How bad will gas mileage suffer from pulling - even a light trailer - 2500-3500 lbs?

Your TV gets what MPH now? How fast will you drive?

3. How do you keep the trailer from getting stolen - I assume there are hitch locks out there - and how to keep from getting broken into - I assume there are wireless gadgets with phone notifications. There will be many "venues" that will allow me to park there during the event - and even all day - but I assume tat over night will not be an option. Walmarts that are open 24hrs?

TT theft isnโ€™t that common. Park sensibly. Parking all day in any business lot while you go somewhere isnโ€™t nice. Think of the business owner. Think of the homeowner in front of whoโ€™s house you parked.

4. Renting a campsite every night is too costly and would make the whole endeavor impractical. But I'm thinking I would only need to park at a campground occasionally - Once per week? Once every 2 weeks perhaps? (One person)

With a senior pass many USFS and BLM sites are $12. That isnโ€™t costly. You can be thrifty without bothering others.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Small light trailers have small tanks. Figure 1.5 gallons per minute for a shower, sea showers can help save water. 1-2 gallons per day for basic handwashing, one meal a day will use a gallon or more for washing afterwards.
You can determine how many days you think it will last on the fresh and grey water.
Toilet for one person, 2 gallons a day since you will often be outside the trailer.

Fuel economy, small trailer with a i/2 ton pickup will get decent mileage by rv standards, maybe as high as 12 to 14 mpg, but remember that you have a large wind resistant area on the front, they dont pull as easily as a boat of low open trailer. Your driving speed is a major determining factor.

Sports venues likely would mean medium to larger cities, add Gander Mountain and some similar locations to your cheap overnight stops and some of those even offer a dump station. Also there are websites and apps that help. www.rvdumps.com or www.sanidumps.com

Add solar for your power since you wont often have power available, and you have an idea of whats within reason.

If the work requires internet access add the cost of a high data plan since you would not have hotel wifi to use.

Bluecatch9
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! All advice is appreciated. I will chase the warm weather so the cold issue is not an issue.

How often do you think the average single person would need to dump tanks? The cost look cheap - so I'm thinking that even if once per week the issue of dumping is not going to be an issue.

Thanks!

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
The big issue with light weight trailers is, there light for a reason. Small holding tanks, lack of storage, poor insulation etc. Can it be done? Sure. There are several youtube videos from people doing it. But it seems these people are minimalists to begin with. Personally I like my creature comforts, like heat, light, and ample refer space to have more than two days worth of food. I really hate grocery shopping.
As far as the rest? Buy a boot and a hitch lock.
Expect fuel economy half what you get now. That basically holds true whether your pulling a 3000 or a 10,000 trailer

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
In Washington state, dumping and filling with fresh water is free (covered by our RV lic. tab fee's) at any rest stop. From what I've seen, if you have to dump and fill at a state or private CG it will cost you $5~$10.

Mileage is hard to say but I would add 30~50% to your present fuel bill.

There are locks for the tongue of the trailer and/or you can run a chain through the wheels. Anything that makes it a bother will generally thrawrt crooks.

I think what you propose is very doable for a single person.

If you plan on being where it's very cold, you will find you run out of battery and propane quickly so a CG with hookups is required.