cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Our new trailer is junk.....

mikakuja
Explorer
Explorer
I am really starting to regret buying our 2016 Cruiser MPG 2400BH. This trailer has been a POS from day one. I really love the look and the options but at what point do I quit finding issues... To start things off the electrical system was riddled with bad connections which I ended up fixing myself. We are talking issues that would have caused the unit to potentially catch fire if left unnoticed. I have no idea how it even got through inspection. Next was the spring perches.... I wouldn't have even noticed this issue if I hadn't been under the trailer running wiring for my inverter. All of the spring perches were welded onto the frame on an angle. The drivers side all leaning toward the outside and the passenger side all leaning inward putting all sorts of sideways strain on the suspension. Next issue was the front cap which started to pull away from the trailer leaving the siding exposed to the elements after only two weeks of use. I won't even get into the stupid fit and finish issues which I see on all new units..
Fast forward to now.... The trailer has been in the shop since the beginning of Sept, and it is still not fixed. Just got off the phone with the service dept and they say they have done quite a few repairs but have run into an issue. They believe the trailer has deeper issues which have caused the trim to pull away and also cause the front cap to shift. So now they are at a stand still and tell me the trailer needs to be returned to the manufacturer in Indiana, however they still haven't got any approval from the factory.
I am told that the quickest turnaround I could expect once the trailer is sent in would be minimum 2 months but realistically it would be longer with the upcoming holiday season.
I have asked that the trailer be replaced with a new one but we will see where that goes...

Anyone else dealt with similar issues? I would love to hear what you have done to resolve them.

Thanks
60 REPLIES 60

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I hate seeing stuff like this. I have had numerous issues with my northwood product and they are considered better tahn most. Mnay plumbing issues, cuasing leaks, some dealer caused issues (Not the one in chilliwack, the one Bakersfield). A leaking grey tank, water coming into slide storage compartments. Badly oxidizing nose cap, broken suspension shackles (probably due to the many miles in Mexico and its speed bumps). The one really good thing is its frame.

Flatfoot-Rogue
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you got the new trailer. It sure looks great. Great to see that Fraserway RV took care of you and seem to stand up for their customers. Too bad they don't sell the Creekside Trailers that I want.
2004 f-150
2005 Fleetwood Wilderness 18T6 (heavily modified)

sparechange
Explorer
Explorer
That 24bhs is a great floorplan. We have the same floorplan from a different manufacturer and couldn't be happier. Kids love the big bunks. Enjoy
2009 duramax, 2016 creekside 23dbs, 1 wife, 2 kids, 1 dog, 1 cat, 2 guinea pigs

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
It's great your dealer came through for you, unfortunately a lot of dealers don't. Like westend said I would let people know the dealers name since he treated you right.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see where you've mentioned it but now may be a good time to pass along the dealer's name so that others in your area can deal with a reputable businessman.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mikakuja
Explorer
Explorer
I try will post a few pics of the trailer later today... Hopefully the weather improves a bit as it is downright miserable at the moment.

SoundGuy, Although I can't be 100% sure as to who will take the hit in the end, it appears that the dealership took the initial hit. What they told me was basically this; cases such as ours are quite rare and simply due to the severity of issues with our old trailer they would rather see us in a new unit to keep us happy and maintain their reputation. From what I understood they were dealing with the manufacturer after the fact.
When we left the dealership yesterday I was under the impression that they had no idea what they were doing with the old trailer.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
Lemon law?

Which states have "lemon laws" for trailers?
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
mikakuja wrote:
Well, it's official... The dealership followed through with their word and we are officially owners of a 2017 Forest River Surveyor 245BHS

Good to see there are still some honorable businessmen out there. Kudos!

Glad it worked out for you guys. We'd enjoy seeing some pics of your new camper ๐Ÿ˜‰

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
mikakuja wrote:
Well, it's official... The dealership followed through with their word and we are officially owners of a 2017 Forest River Surveyor 245BHS.... So very happy to finally be rid of that other nightmare.

CONGRATS! :B

The burning question though is WHO took the hit to make this happen? The dealer (HIGHLY unusual), the manufacturer (unusual but not unheard of), OR do you even know? :h Easy to say "Problem solved" but it sure would be interesting to know the details. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

mikakuja
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it's official... The dealership followed through with their word and we are officially owners of a 2017 Forest River Surveyor 245BHS.... So very happy to finally be rid of that other nightmare.
So far we are loving the Surveyor, and it tows like a dream in comparison to the MPG... Looking forward packing her up and heading out for a shake down run to test everything out.
Pics to come soon.

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hoping this will all be a distant memory soon and all works out... enjoy the new unit. Spend time checking it out before taking possession, both by yourselves and with the dealer.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
mikakuja wrote:
We finally got a call from the dealerships manager today, and it looks like we might be getting somewhere. He seemed to be quite eager to resolve this issue and replace the trailer at no cost to us.

Not to be scepticle ... but I am. :W The dealer didn't sell your trailer to you on consignment from the factory, he purchased it from the factory, covered all the upfront costs of transporting it to his dealership and preparing it for sale, and you purchased it from the dealer, with the title being transferred to your name, also at a cost. No dealer that runs a business effectively can afford to simply take back any trailer they've sold and offer you another new one in it's place ... there has to be more to this story. :R

As in this case, the dealer sits on these situations (and this one is really bad!!!) all too often because they are not pressing the manufacture to act upon their warranty. They have better things to do, that make money.

However, the dealer will not likely take a hit in the long run. They should be fully reimbursed for all expenses, just without much if any profit margin.

Dealers that do get ripped off by Manufactures (and vise-versa) are not dealers for that manufacture for very long!

Flatfoot-Rogue
Explorer
Explorer
Should have bought the creekside or coachman like you wanted to start with...lol. If you are going to take out you new rig before the end of the month to check it out...I'm in.........maybe top of the pass and get some hunting in as well. We will really test the heating out.
2004 f-150
2005 Fleetwood Wilderness 18T6 (heavily modified)

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer, that's interesting. I wonder what would happen if they flipped that philosophy. I believe most don't fault a manufacturer for the problems as much as the way they are handled. It might be more beneficial for them to make these sort of things public.

mikakuja, we have the 245BHS. I think you will be happy. We have about 150 nights in ours and have had no large problems. Only a few small ones.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!