cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pop Up Soft Side Campers in the Winter

csh_2088
Explorer
Explorer
Could anyone who has owned one of these tell me how well they stay warm in the wintertime.
89 REPLIES 89

Dvoigt17
Explorer
Explorer
We have been able to winter camp very comfortably in our Hallmark. Here is some pics from staying at The Jane at WP. Itโ€™s awesome to head up the night before and not have to fight traffic in the morning. Just wake up in the morning, have coffee and warm breakfast, walk 10 feet, throw on skis and ski to the lift.

The pooches love it up there!

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I guess I don't understand the need to do without. We boondock quite a bit. In the winter we use an electric blanket under the sheets. On solar and inverter, there is little to no change in battery levels.

Also, we use liberally, our Mr. Heater radiant heater. It works great and uses very little propane and eliminates the need for battery power for the furnace not to mention that loud obnoxious noise.

I like to be warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Roughing it for me doesn't mean having to where multiple layers of clothing. With the electric blanket and the radiant heat, we sleep in our PJs and a blanket on top.

After all, you guys are rich Americans, you can afford a little propane.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Dvoigt17
Explorer
Explorer
I added foam insulation to places that did not have insulation. The horizontal and vertical side do not have insulation. Seat/bed area and bottom side storage. I also added insulation to the propane interior walls.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I have lined the inside of my ball cap with tinfoil. Just in case those folks who believe in aliens, government mind control, and chemtrails are right! The problem is that I ground the tinfoil to my earlobe and that alligator clip hurts.

Seriously, we ALWAYS leave a window or vent cracked when we use the TC for moisture control anyway.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

Dvoigt17
Explorer
Explorer
csh_2088 wrote:
Dvoigt17 wrote:

The top photo makes me really want to buy a truck camper. A gorgeous photo!

Could you tell me what is in the second photo? It looks like insulation but I am not sure where in the camper it comes from.

Itโ€™s warm window material that we bought at Joanโ€™s. I added it to the inside of our insulated soft wall. It snaps to the ceiling. Just an extra layer of insulation.

Dvoigt17
Explorer
Explorer
I added extra insulation throughout my entire Hallmark. I enjoy my wife coming up skiing with us, so she has to be warm. You know if mamma isnโ€™t happy, no ones happy. I used my infared camera to scan all parts of the camper last winter and worked on insulating bad areas. We leave thevent open to help with moisture. I added insulation to the floor, between 2x4 that run length wise of camper and sealed with hard plastic sheets. I also added foam squares over the floor on inside of camper. This helped a lot. I pulled off the AC unit so I can store in garage and leave off . Which made it easier to seal the roof. I have corner supports that go on the inside off camper in case we get a lot of snow.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
whazoo wrote:
Hey now, I like a good tinfoil hat now and then...it also acts as a reflector for the wave3 to reflect heat to the cabover bed haha. Seriously, wonder if it could be ducted to an air filled mattress?

And in a pinch the Wave Heaters can be laid on their back for your outdoor grill...

DISCLAIMER, NOT TRUE...but I might try it sometime lol.

Probably make a good toaster too....:B
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

realter
Explorer
Explorer
One of my classmates and her husband died in 1998 in their camper from CO2 poisoning. I don't take any chances, always sleep with the window slightly open, wave heater, regular heater, electric heater or no heater.

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
whazoo wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
I would buy your "no Russian roulette" would you come with CO and CO2 numbers you recorded in your camper.
Just "I am still alive" is not having value in mu books.

Another good reason I don't visit rvnet much anymore, if I wanted a preacher I go to church, if I want sarcasm I watch the news.

....and, if you want the facts...listen to your wife....:p

Yes, this is one of the reasons you see less and less of the old/new regulars here and more of the types that comment on everything and bully others if there is a different approach or thinking on a subject. "Why bother" is often my reaction when I first consider commenting and then just hit the back arrow to dump my response, especially when it is Kayteg1. As I probably should with this comment.

Like you Dave, I have used my Wave heater for years and have never used a fan, let alone a Fantastic Fan. TC's leak plenty, then you crack a window/vent and you are set. My longest uninterrupted use has been 3 months (my propane tank lasts about 4+ months) and there were no bodies found, or stepped over, during this use.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
Hey now, I like a good tinfoil hat now and then...it also acts as a reflector for the wave3 to reflect heat to the cabover bed haha. Seriously, wonder if it could be ducted to an air filled mattress?

And in a pinch the Wave Heaters can be laid on their back for your outdoor grill...

DISCLAIMER, NOT TRUE...but I might try it sometime lol.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
... and I don't wear a tinfoil hat either. Usually a baseball cap.
2015 Backpack SS1500

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, not really interested in numbers, you're the person giving "I've heard of" as factoids without any basis in reality. As well as saying how ignorant it is to use one. I'm perfectly comfortable sleeping with and leaving my wave heater on all day, don't need a sermon from kaytag on my ignorance, your word not mine.

Hi Sidecar! I agree that "I've never heard of" a death in an rv due to a cat heater. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, just never heard or read one and can't even find on with google. And yes I do listen to my wife, religiously, that's why I'm still married! And answers and opinions are all acceptable until given as indisputable fact without giving facts. Btw, "I've heard" the reason for venting is to let oxygen in more so than letting low volumes of carbon dioxide out. Not stated as fact.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
As an aside, I very selectively reply to posts, especially new ones in the 'Whats new' section. If people used an ounce of common sense instead of posting an inane question, they could solve their issues by themselves...

Too hard though. Just post up a question and let the 'masses answer it.

Problem is, every answer is different....lol

Only time I've read about Co deaths is when an idiot runs their genny in a confined living space and succumbs to the fumes....

Never read anywhere about any catalytic heater (with a Co detector) causing death but anything is possible when a human is involved. Like the saying goes...'Stupid is as stupid does'.......
2015 Backpack SS1500

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are barking at wrong tree.
You want the numbers, contact the people who made "vented space" requirement.
They also should be able to answer if 1/2" window gap qualifies as vented.
Than again, it is your life