cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should they fix it?

oyarsa
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a trailer in October. Took it out once and stored it with a cover. Never noticed anything happen during the trip or putting the cover on/taking it off.

Today I noticed one of the back rain gutters is almost snapped off. Should I expect that to be fixed under warranty? Should I worry about fixing it if not?
21 REPLIES 21

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
oyarsa wrote:
Bought a trailer in October. Took it out once and stored it with a cover. Never noticed anything happen during the trip or putting the cover on/taking it off.

Today I noticed one of the back rain gutters is almost snapped off. Should I expect that to be fixed under warranty? Should I worry about fixing it if not?

That's one reason why I don't cover my rig, in addition to the fact the last rig I covered the cover burnished the paint the roof by rubbing during windy conditions.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
eventually they all snap off, easy to put back on.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Before you put the cover on, you need to put a tennis ball or chunk of foam over each downspout otherwise the downspout and/or cover will get damaged.

x2. No cover tears or gutter problems in 5 years with the current 5er and cover.

oyarsa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do that next time!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
oyarsa wrote:
What's the point of them, in any case?

My Coachmen came stock with gutter extensions, I haven't damaged any, and yes they significantly reduce black streaks along the side of the camper. Can't think of any reason I wouldn't have them and protecting them when installing a cover is as simple as adding a piece of foam pipe wrap over each one. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
GrandpaKip wrote:
oyarsa wrote:
What's the point of them, in any case? Just cosmetic to help keep the water from leaving dirt tracks down the side of the RV? I can't see that not having them would help prevents leaks or anything...

They are specifically placed to drip on you when you are breaking camp and are getting into the pass through or putting up the rear stabilizer.

Or they will let you know which side of your trailer is low when you have the AC on

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
oyarsa wrote:
What's the point of them, in any case? Just cosmetic to help keep the water from leaving dirt tracks down the side of the RV? I can't see that not having them would help prevents leaks or anything...

They are specifically placed to drip on you when you are breaking camp and are getting into the pass through or putting up the rear stabilizer.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

oyarsa
Explorer
Explorer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I keep breaking off those extensions on tree branches brushing up against the trailer. I have given up on replacing them. It's just the price of boondocking via narrow forest roads, I guess.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before you put the cover on, you need to put a tennis ball or chunk of foam over each downspout otherwise the downspout and/or cover will get damaged.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
oyarsa wrote:
It's just the extension. I imagine I can fix it myself. I just have to have confidence in myself, this forum, and YouTube...

Might as well start now because you will most likely have other issues to repair over the years.

If you feel the need to bring something as easy as this to the dealer, you may be in for a long ownership.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Rain gutter extension....no way would I even consider hauling it back to the dealer for something like that.
I can almost guarantee that it was damaged when the cover was pulled on or off. Easy to fix.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
PVC cement worked on mine ,at $195 per hour I do it all myself !

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't visualize putting on or taking a cover off a trailer without harming the extended rain gutter. My guess is the dealer will blame you.
I would fix it myself. If you don't fix it or get it fixed, you'll have stains coming down that corner of your new trailer

Jack L
Jack & Nanci