cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sourcing filon & roof corner/gutter - please help

HaiNhi
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings. What a great forum. I just spent hours reading up posts after signing up. Thanks for all the shares and looking to learn more from it.

I just got my first TC, 2001 Lance 1121, and am in the process of major remodeling.

All sides and front frames are rotted including the slide out.

I thought of using aluminum frames to replace it but couldnโ€™t find good source except Home Depot with only 4โ€™ long 3/4โ€ 1/16โ€ or 8โ€™ long 1โ€ 1/20โ€. So most likely Iโ€™d go with wood again for this one. Iโ€™m all pumped up after watching custom built projects so Iโ€™m doing the research for the a new build. This model is a good starter for me but I love what I see in other builds and the huge models like Host Mammoth , Lance 1172, etcโ€ฆ

Back to the renovation, Iโ€™m looking to get the replacement filon. I came across 2 sites that have it. Recpro.com is really expensive at $1200 or something for 40โ€™. While rvpartsnation.com has it for $600. I plan to order it today from RV Parts Nation unless advised otherwise.

Iโ€™m also looking for the trim/corner/gutter (not sure what itโ€™s called) that goes around the corner of the roof & walls and channels water to the rear/front. Please point me to the place to get these (or part number/name to search).

I read on some posts mentioning Lance spraying some black coat on the wood members before sealing back up. I was wondering which coating I should do if any, that it still allows good adhesion (when adhesive is applied) of the siding to the frame.

For the slide out, Iโ€™m completely building it new. I was thinking of making it a little wider than original (3โ€™6โ€) so the converted dinette can be used by my two boys. Maybe an extra 12-16โ€. Any thought? I saw videos of Jeff on YouTube (Covet The Camper) making the bunk bed. That might be a better alternative for 2nd person. But while Iโ€™m at it, not sure if itโ€™s worth widening this area a bit.

Now on to the truck. Iโ€™m in CA and currently have the 2017 F350 CCLB SRW. I plan to get a flat bed with a new truck. This Lance camper is pretty light (wet weight is only under 3500lbs) so a F350/450 dually would be ok. But as I mentioned, my plan for the next year or 2 is to custom build or get a big one similar to Host Mammoth or Lance 1172. I also pull a boat trailer. So Iโ€™m toying the idea of getting a F550 chassis instead. The question is, do I have to register as commercial even though I only use it as a personal?

Sorry for the long post. Iโ€™m obsessing with this camper thing lately so I have lots of questions. Iโ€™d like to get things done in time for the coming summer. Iโ€™m itching to go unwind in the outdoor.

Thanks much for any advice/thoughts.

Nhi
10 REPLIES 10

HaiNhi
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tip. Is there a model or brand I should look for? I just only did a visual check on the existing one without writing the model number down. So Iโ€™m not sure if itโ€™s newer or original.

And yes there will be lots of photos and videos for my own reference (and potential future owner if thatโ€™s the case).

mellow wrote:
Take plenty of pictures/videos of rehab to backup what you have done. Also helps to find wires in the walls down the road and other stuff.

I would plan on upgrading the power converter, they have better ones now that won't cook your batteries while charging.

As to worth, its worth whatever you can get someone to pay for it with the upgrades. I would say $10-$12k range based on what I have seen TC's listed at these days.

HaiNhi
Explorer
Explorer
I agree on the whatโ€™s worth to me mentality.

Iโ€™m checking around for one in still good conditions and see thatโ€™s the asking prices are around 10-12k or more. Iโ€™m not sure whatโ€™s people would pay in general. Itโ€™s all documented. But again this is for us to use, not for resale right away. Not until the next project - if at all becomes reality - is done anyway. And the least would be 1.5-2 years away.

Bayliner Capri is one of their popular models, isnโ€™t it?

Pics come in the next couple of days or sometime next week. Itโ€™s only worked on during weekends.

Thanks

notsobigjoe wrote:
I just sold a 1988 Bayliner Capri that I gutted some time back. I took plenty of pictures and kept all the receipts. I sold it a couple of months ago for 4750.00. Had an easy 10000 into it. I wouldn't waste my time with the what is it worth question and concentrate on what it's worth to me cause you'll never get it back. As for me I wouldn't do it again. Post some pics!!!
Joe

HaiNhi
Explorer
Explorer
Fair enough. Thanks for the reply.

mellow wrote:
Take plenty of pictures/videos of rehab to backup what you have done. Also helps to find wires in the walls down the road and other stuff.

I would plan on upgrading the power converter, they have better ones now that won't cook your batteries while charging.

As to worth, its worth whatever you can get someone to pay for it with the upgrades. I would say $10-$12k range based on what I have seen TC's listed at these days.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
I just sold a 1988 Bayliner Capri that I gutted some time back. I took plenty of pictures and kept all the receipts. I sold it a couple of months ago for 4750.00. Had an easy 10000 into it. I wouldn't waste my time with the what is it worth question and concentrate on what it's worth to me cause you'll never get it back. As for me I wouldn't do it again. Post some pics!!!
Joe

mellow
Explorer
Explorer

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Frankly it's going to be worth exactly what it's worth now in its rotten unrepaired condition.

People don't want a "repaired" camper. They will call into question your skill, attention to detail, and quality of workmanship. The assumption will be is that there is a hack job hidden behind all that new filon. It's not people's first rodeo. They've heard grandiose claims about this and that and the other thing being 100%, in great condition, and been BURNED, or know someone who has.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

HaiNhi
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the replies and advices.

I found some local metal suppliers. I'll come check them out to see how the prices of the aluminum compared to the online store.

I'm planning to go to All-Rite today too. They're about 1 hour 15 mins from my place. I think at the least, I can get the filon from them.

As for my TC, I've removed all sidings for both sides & the front. The roof is aluminum and seems like okay. Floor is also good. Back wall is solid!

I removed some cabinets too and will be redoing the kitchen & vanity countertops with quartz-like material (left over from my construction projects). I'll weigh them to check how much additional weight I'm adding on for these.

It's a lot of work but I'm running a design/build company here in the Bay Area so I enjoy doing this type of stuffs. I got 7 people helped out with the demolition and it still took quite a bit of time.

I got the camper at a not-too-high price so hopefully I won't be spending too much on it. However, it's my first TC so it's alright. The first is always special you know. :). Plus, I'll get it back once done by enjoying it with the family, which is priceless don't you agree?

Having said that, please let me know what you think how much my TC will be worth with:
- Brand new filon through out.
- Frame in 100% condition. All damaged & worn pieces replaced. No question asked. ๐Ÿ™‚
- Brand new slide out (100%)
- All original windows still in perfect working condition
- All weatherproofing (caulking etc) is new
- New interior vinyl laminate flooring
- New kitchen counter, stainless steel sink, faucet
- All new LED lights
- Slide out motor is still in super good condition
- All jack motors checked & serviced if needed be
- All new exterior & interior paint
- All electrical panel system checked out
- Water pump is in super good condition
- AC blows cold
- Standard microwave, in like new condition
- Original generator at about 850 hours, starts right up
- Original 3 way refrigerator, still works great
- Original 3 burner stove, still in excellent condition
- Toilet (the style like in airplane) still working
- 1 piece shower still in great condition
- New vanity faucet & shower handle

I'd just like to gauge if my spending is on par with the realistic after-reno value or not.

Thanks again.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
(Arm and leg to ship. Oversize fee's and requires crate to be built, so add crating fee.)

My info is from 2016 so things might of out of date???

We just stopped by and bought some when inroute from Yuma from NW. Saved us a lot of $$$. Might be closer to you? Not even sure if they are still in business?
There is also a manual online (or used to be) that has pretty good instructions for repair.
https://www.cranecomposites.com/wp-content/uploads/65000.pdf
https://www.cranecomposites.com/wp-content/uploads/65000.pdf

https://www.all-rite.com/

1500 Shelton Drive
Hollister, CA 95023

Phone: 7am-4pm PST
Shop: 8am-4pm PST

Shop closed from 12pm-1pm for lunch. No cash is accepted.

Phone: (831) 636-9566
FAX: (831) 636-9464
E-mail: sales@all-rite.com
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.metalsdepot.com
https://www.onlinemetals.com

Shipping is expensive. There is a max length for UPS.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
https://www.grainger.com/category/raw-materials/aluminum
https://rvstoredirect.com/collections/awning-drip-rails
https://www.rvpartsnation.com/exterior/rv-fiberglass-siding/arctic-white-rv-fiberglass-filon-siding/

If I may inquire a little more info. You are planning on gutting the camper of walls, ceiling, cabover and slide out while leaving the interior intact to rebuild the rest from scratch. What about the floor?

Or are you planning on removing the filon and patching the frame where needed and replacing the filon over it? Either way, big job!