cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips on how to redo the back of the camper?

imq707s
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2011 Zinger 19-RDS had some issues with bubbling and separation on the front of it when we got it several years ago. Turned out one of the seals around a market light was leaking. I was able to peel the front off, and replace it with some powder coated aluminum sheeting and aluminum diamond plate…it actually turned out pretty good.

Well, now I’ve noticed that there are a few spots on the rear that are doing the same thing…one spot under the window that’s hard to see in the picture, and one spot at the bottom by the ladder. Has anyone had the back off in order to do a repair? It is built pretty much like the front?

I’m hoping I can just remove all the trim pieces, pull off the outer layer, replace with some white aluminum, cut a new hole for the window and lights, and put it all back together. Or is it going to be more difficult than the front?

Any tips of tricks would be a huge help! Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I’d say after you did the front we should be asking your advice, not the other way around…
Nice work!
I thought about doing that on the front cap of our last TC. But with Diamond plate. Decided my life could live with the cosmetic issue after I verified there was no rot and (the previous owner) sealed the leak.
IMO the back doesn’t look bad at all. A lot of effort. I understand the front as it looked pretty gnarly.
But I don’t imagine you’ll find anything surprising with getting new sheeting on it. And it will look like new!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd do the same as the front which doesn't appear to have dry rot. That said I wonder if the sides are next?

Or calk everything, seams, lights, latter, window and see what develops. By everything I mean remove them and completely recalk vs another layer of calk.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob