cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tail gates

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Would some of you guys please buy those GMC tail gates! The na na - na na is driving me nuts! This is coming from a GMC guy.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS
29 REPLIES 29

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is a great tailgate for day trippers and grocery getters. Ain't worth nothing when fiver is hitched.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
I see virtually no advantage to the bumper steps in the GM products. They just aren't low enough. The Ford isn't a bad design. Personally, I think the best is an aftermarket AMP Bed Step. Perfect height, easy to deploy and stow, doesn't matter if you have a trailer on or not.

That's what I have on my Ram. One of the best additions I put on my truck. I'm considering putting one of their side steps on too for when I just want to reach in and not climb in.

I have the side step as well. Makes accessing the 5er hitch, as well as my aux fuel tank, much easier.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
I see virtually no advantage to the bumper steps in the GM products. They just aren't low enough. The Ford isn't a bad design. Personally, I think the best is an aftermarket AMP Bed Step. Perfect height, easy to deploy and stow, doesn't matter if you have a trailer on or not.

That's what I have on my Ram. One of the best additions I put on my truck. I'm considering putting one of their side steps on too for when I just want to reach in and not climb in.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
larry barnhart wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Of course if you by a MH like I did the steps are power and they come out to you. No need for a $2k tail gate to go along with a $60k truck and $70k 5th wheel!!!!

My friend has had $47,400.00 of repairs plus a $4000.00 towing cost from their winter trip on a MH with 28000 miles. Engines issues and a new radiator plus more. Nothing is perfect.

chevman

That's unfortunate your friend got taken to the cleaners. I couldn't spend $47k on a (presumably) reman diesel engine, radiator and install if I tried. Unless maybe at retail rates I took everything, all in, and doubled it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Of course if you by a MH like I did the steps are power and they come out to you. No need for a $2k tail gate to go along with a $60k truck and $70k 5th wheel!!!!

My friend has had $47,400.00 of repairs plus a $4000.00 towing cost from their winter trip on a MH with 28000 miles. Engines issues and a new radiator plus more. Nothing is perfect.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
GeoBoy wrote:
All you Ford/Ram fanboys can say what you want but that GMC tailgate is ingenious.

At least GM placed a label warning the owner not to open the small part of the tailgate with a hitch in place.

Bet next year there will be $1000 computer linked lock for when your hitch is installed.
Have to say though my x father-in-law bought my x wife one of those new pickups because he said you gotta have that tailgate.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I may also add that e new Ram tailgates are nice. They fold down or swing out like barn doors. This is actually a good idea.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've got a friend that put a huge ding in his tailgate with his hitch. To me the new GM tailgate and the Ram box are neat ideas, it seems like they are likely to get torn up if you actually haul anything with the truck.

I will say they older I get the less I like getting in and out of the bed of the truck.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ksss wrote:
danrclem wrote:
GM Girly Gait. LOL

No that would be the Ridgeline. I think it is a little gimmicky, but I used to think that about a heated steering wheel and I check that box everytime now. Don't know that I would use this tailgate as designed, but I am not going to $itch and whine about it either like many like many here do. If I have choice I would likely not order it, but it will likely be a standard feature, so be it. Not sure its worth a conversation, but sometimes people get really bored here I think.

When Ford came out with their step. I thought it was gimmicky as well, when in hindsight it was just a really poor design. Smartest method of getting in the back of the truck is that step bumper that GM started with the Avalanche, should have been on a truck since day one. Simple, nothing to unfold, pull out or put back.

I thought the Ford man step was a gimmick too, but when I purchased my current truck it came with it, so be it. So since I had it I tried using it and I changed my opinion and to me it's a really good tool for getting into the bed and equally important getting out of the bed. It's only effective when you don't have a trailer on the back.

GM's bumper step is ok but not nearly has easy as the Ford man step, it's essentially useless when trying to get out of the bed. The only advantage is when you have a trailer connected. As for the side bed step on the 2020 trucks it's height makes it almost useless.

RAM barn door tailgate looks interesting but will wait to see how durable it is.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
danrclem wrote:
GM Girly Gait. LOL

No that would be the Ridgeline. I think it is a little gimmicky, but I used to think that about a heated steering wheel and I check that box everytime now. Don't know that I would use this tailgate as designed, but I am not going to $itch and whine about it either like many like many here do. If I have choice I would likely not order it, but it will likely be a standard feature, so be it. Not sure its worth a conversation, but sometimes people get really bored here I think.

When Ford came out with their step. I thought it was gimmicky as well, when in hindsight it was just a really poor design. Smartest method of getting in the back of the truck is that step bumper that GM started with the Avalanche, should have been on a truck since day one. Simple, nothing to unfold, pull out or put back.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
GM Girly Gait. LOL

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
GeoBoy wrote:
All you Ford/Ram fanboys can say what you want but that GMC tailgate is ingenious.

At least GM placed a label warning the owner not to open the small part of the tailgate with a hitch in place.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"