cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toilet Mold

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
Are any of you in the southeast having trouble with mold growing in your toilet this year? We bought our '95 TT in '13, and it has sat every spring, summer, and fall with 2"-3" of water in the bowl for obvious reasons. We've never had a mold problem, not once. This year, I have already had to clean it 3 times because of mold growing in it, and on and around the seat and bottom of the lid. We've had a good amount of rain, so maybe there has been excess humidity. I keep both roof vents fully open at all times.

Is there anything I can put in the water that will inhibit mold growth, yet not damage the seal? Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
It is not obvious to me why you have all that mold supporting water in the toilet.
Me, either. But maybe the lack of use due to the lockdown, closed lid, excess rain, etc., are factors. I'm not sure.

A couple years ago, we had a freak thing with some rain and continued high humidity over the course of 3 or 4 days. My Suburban grew mold on a couple of the leather seats and on the floor, and the TT had mold grow on the surface of one area of the kitchen cabinets. It was a freak thing that had never happened before or hasn't since. This is almost like that.

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
prichardson wrote:
If you leave the lid open it will help. Mold likes dark damp still air places.
That makes sense. I just went out and opened the lid. Thanks.

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
When was the last time you sanitized your entire fresh water system? If you keep having mold in the toilet, I suspect you may have mold in your fresh water tank and fresh water lines. For cleaning the toilet I would recommend using some soft scrub with bleach or a put some bleach and water in a spray bottle at about a half ounce bleachper 16 ounces of water. Use the spray after your normal cleaning. Then maybe once daily. I would still sanitize the fresh water system.
I sanitized it when I did the dewinterization in March. I do it the same way every year. I checked the FW tank, and it appears clear the way it always does, at least as much as you can see through a semi-transparent white tank. I don't see any evidence of mold, though that's not a guarantee of none.

I'll have to keep a watch on it and see what happens after we use it this coming weekend.

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I am 50 mi from you and have seen no such problem. BUT we had a car in an enclosed trailer with no ventilation and it got mildew all over it. Won't Clorox kill the mold?
It does. But it has grown back. I will watch it and see what happens. I cleaned it yesterday with a toilet bowl cleaner that has Clorox in it.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
If you leave the lid open it will help. Mold likes dark damp still air places.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
When was the last time you sanitized your entire fresh water system? If you keep having mold in the toilet, I suspect you may have mold in your fresh water tank and fresh water lines. For cleaning the toilet I would recommend using some soft scrub with bleach or a put some bleach and water in a spray bottle at about a half ounce bleachper 16 ounces of water. Use the spray after your normal cleaning. Then maybe once daily. I would still sanitize the fresh water system.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am 50 mi from you and have seen no such problem. BUT we had a car in an enclosed trailer with no ventilation and it got mildew all over it. Won't Clorox kill the mold?

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
It is not obvious to me why you have all that mold supporting water in the toilet.