Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tongue Weight, Silverado Hitch Class

jay427
Explorer
Explorer
2 questions,

Anyone know what the factory hitch class is on my 2011 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton crew cab with trailer package?

According to the manual I have a tow rating of 9,600 if recall correctly (sorry manual is at home) that would leave me to believe that I should have at least a Class IV hitch good for 10,000/1,000 without a distribution hitch.

Think I would want/need a distribution hitch with the following trailer specs?

Length 21'-6"
Dry Weight 3309
Cargo 1091
Hitch Weight 520
Link of new Rig

Not sure if that hitch weight includes battery, propane,etc. my guess it does not.

If its a class III will need a distribution hitch, if class IV we are within specs.

The last camper we had (7 or years ago) had a Equalizer Hitch, would go the same way unless someone has a better option.

Thanks all,

Jay
12 REPLIES 12

jay427
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:

For that weight trailer you could probably get by with an E2 with 800 pound bars. It's basically the less expensive version of the Equalizer made by the same company. It's 2 point sway control instead of 4 point but I've had zero problems with it and my similar size, similar weight trailer. $367 at both Amazon and etrailer, though you'll need to add a ball and to do that you need a big arse thin wall socket, I got mine at Napa. Figure $420 all in.

Perfect thanks

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
jay427 wrote:
Boomerweps wrote:
Not enough specific info.
I did a quick search using 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 towing package and the factory PDF towing Gu?i?d?e was one of the first listings.
You need the engine, GVWR from the door sticker and that towing Gu?i?d?e for your answer.
Most half ton truck hitches (class IV) I've seen are only rated for 500 tongue weight and 5000 pulling/tow weight when used WITHOUT a WDH. WITH a WDH, they are rated to 10,000 or a bit more.

From the manual,

5.3L V8 K5L HD Cooling Pkg, Axel Ratio 3.42, Max trailer 9,500 lbs. GCWR 15,000 lbs.

After all of this I found the dang spec, sorry all.

Its 600lbs without WD and 1,100 with WD!

Its so close may as well get the WDH, now what one? Should have kept our old 2500!!!!

For that weight trailer you could probably get by with an E2 with 800 pound bars. It's basically the less expensive version of the Equalizer made by the same company. It's 2 point sway control instead of 4 point but I've had zero problems with it and my similar size, similar weight trailer. $367 at both Amazon and etrailer, though you'll need to add a ball and to do that you need a big arse thin wall socket, I got mine at Napa. Figure $420 all in.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
2018 F150, towing 4k dry wt (haven't weighed all the **** my wife put in). For short tow, 5 miles from storage to house, or about around 30 minute drive, Ill go without WD, otherwise WD is attached. There's a big enough difference, that it's worth having.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Read the label on your trailer hitch.
could go either way. You probably won't need a WD.

jay427
Explorer
Explorer
owenssailor wrote:
I had a 2012 Silverado with the same specs as your 2011. I towed a 6700 lb (loaded) trailer all over the South part of the continent. I had an Equalizer hitch. The combination worked very well. Get the hitch that will handle 7-899 lb tongue. That would be the 1000/10000 model.

Good news, thanks

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2012 Silverado with the same specs as your 2011. I towed a 6700 lb (loaded) trailer all over the South part of the continent. I had an Equalizer hitch. The combination worked very well. Get the hitch that will handle 7-899 lb tongue. That would be the 1000/10000 model.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

jay427
Explorer
Explorer
Boomerweps wrote:
I did a quick search using 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 towing package and the factory PDF towing Gu?i?d?e was one of the first listings.
You need the engine, GVWR from the door sticker and that towing Gu?i?d?e for your answer.
Most half ton truck hitches (class IV) I've seen are only rated for 500 tongue weight and 5000 pulling/tow weight when used WITHOUT a WDH. WITH a WDH, they are rated to 10,000 or a bit more.

From the manual,

5.3L V8 K5L HD Cooling Pkg, Axel Ratio 3.42, Max trailer 9,500 lbs. GCWR 15,000 lbs.

After all of this I found the dang spec, sorry all.

Its 600lbs without WD and 1,100 with WD!

Its so close may as well get the WDH, now what one? Should have kept our old 2500!!!!

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
I found out the hard way that some Silverado's sold as HD were not ...
In 2008 I bought a new Silverado that turned out to be a major disappointment.
Mine was underpowered, and not HD.
I towed a 8500 lb camper to the Smokey Mts. I came home and traded for a F-250
Diesel. It really was HD, and towing was easy.

It first I thought my Equalizer was set up wrong... That was one of the things that actually was as advertised.
Not looking at your rig... I'd say a good Equalizer and strong truck could fix most problems.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

jay427
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:

On the WD hitch, if you are happy with equalizer, keep it. It's a quality system, especially if you already have one.

Wish I would have kept it, sold it with the old rig about 7 years ago. After doing a quick search I see a few more manufactures now offer similar systems.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
factory trailer hitch weight is almost always with an empty trailer, no battery(s), empty propane tanks as it rolls out the door. In my case loaded tongue weight is 1450lbs with full water tank, 4 batteries, full propane.

Empty tongue weight as new (which I verified) 800ish lbs. Now 4 GC2 batteries adds around 300lbs right off the bat. stuff on the tongue may as well figure directly adds to the tongue weight, it's so close to the coupler.

On the WD hitch, if you are happy with equalizer, keep it. It's a quality system, especially if you already have one.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!