cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer safety chain hooks and F150

RonRN18
Explorer
Explorer
I am having issues with connecting and disconnecting the safety chain hooks to the hitch mount of my 2016 F150 truck. It is very difficult to get just the proper angle to get them hooked. The gauge of the steel of the hitch mount holes, the size of the holes and the thickness of the hooks makes this very difficult. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Is there some type of fix that is safe to make connecting and disconnecting the safety chains easier?
2016 Ford F150 XLT SuperCrew FX4 with 5.0L V8
2019 Mesa Ridge 2410RL travel trailer
23 REPLIES 23

fdwt994
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
cavie wrote:
buy 2 Threaded carabiners/link extensions from you local Hardware store

X2. I installed the threaded chain links and applied some red loctite to the threads. Seems that folks like them and some are too cheap to pay $5 or so in the store. Now it's real easy to hook and unhook the safety catch hooks on my safety cables.

I saw these at the local home improvement store, but none that seemed to have the weight / strength capacity of the chain itself. I'm willing to bet some folks are attaching these type of chain links and instantly reducing the strength of their chain.
2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
RonRN18 wrote:
I am having issues with connecting and disconnecting the safety chain hooks to the hitch mount of my 2016 F150 truck. It is very difficult to get just the proper angle to get them hooked. The gauge of the steel of the hitch mount holes, the size of the holes and the thickness of the hooks makes this very difficult. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Is there some type of fix that is safe to make connecting and disconnecting the safety chains easier?

I put a couple of steel links in ours. They are a little longer, and easier to hook up.
CROSS YOUR CHAINS WHEN YOU TOW.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Looking forward to not using the shackles on my new F150. The F150 uses plate steel for the safety chain loops. My Explorer used tightly curved, very thick, round stock for the chain loops.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
rrupert wrote:
I had this problem on my 2012 F150 until I learned to put them on correctly. Point the hook end up and pull it through the loop from front to back, or towards you. Works slick as a whistle. Taking off is just as easy.

Ya, this is what I do on my 2011 F150 as well

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I think what they are really talking about are threaded links. I googled threaded links and got quick links and caribiner. All correct I guess.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I agree. I wouldn’t trust any caribiners no matter their rating. Larger hooks are the simplest and safest way to go!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
What are the carbiners you guys are using rated for?

I have never seen any that come even close to what I would need.

Larger hooks did it for me on my dually.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
I got these for my F350 due to the same issue. These are also available at some of the "big-box" hardware stores, Tractor Supply, etc. https://www.bulletproofhitches.com/products/5-8-channel-shackle-for-safety-chains?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-IOOxpL24QIVR77ACh2s2AMmEAQYAiABEgKEJ_D_BwE
Times fun when you're having flies!

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
(I also had a problem with my F150. As someone suggested, I laid on the ground and looked at the best way to hook up to the hitch. After doing that and showing my wife how they fit, we both can hook them up without looking.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
I had this problem on my 2012 F150 until I learned to put them on correctly. Point the hook end up and pull it through the loop from front to back, or towards you. Works slick as a whistle. Taking off is just as easy.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
I use shackles on my Ford Explorer factory hitch. The factory chain loops are too thick for my TT safety chain hooks. Change angle, top or bottom, doesn’t matter. I had to hammer them on leaving the dealer and hammer them off at home. If you look at the hitches on pickups while at stop lights, you’ll see many with shackles or chain loops left attached.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
I have large threaded caribeaners on my chains. no problems now.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, it took so long for my first post, I gave up and reposted.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:
buy 2 Threaded carabiners/link extensions from you local Hardware store

X2. I installed the threaded chain links and applied some red loctite to the threads. Seems that folks like them and some are too cheap to pay $5 or so in the store. Now it's real easy to hook and unhook the safety catch hooks on my safety cables.

David Bishop
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II