Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer too long for truck?

mr61impala
Explorer
Explorer
Back again.

We went to the RV Supershow in Tampa yesterday and found a trailer that checks most of our boxes.

Trailer specs: GVW is #7995, #UVW is #6327, dry hitch weight is #658. total length 32'9".

2019 Ram 1500 3.92 axle ratio #1780 rear axle payload #11,400 max towing capacity; all per Ram website after entering VIN#.

I think the weights are OK but how about the overall length? Anyone towing a trailer this long with a Ram 1500?

By the way, if you are in Florida it's worth a couple hour drive to experience the show.
Shopping for Travel Trailer
53 REPLIES 53

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
gmckenzie wrote:
mooky stinks wrote:
I towed a scaled 8300 lb 35ft Outback with a Chevy 1500 max tow 10 times a year for 6 years. Weight was never a problem but wind was. A couple trips I had to take secondary roads instead of the interstate. Ultimately itโ€™s up to you and your set up. The hitch being dialed in is absolutely critical. Expect days when you wonโ€™t be able to relax. Itโ€™s certainly not for everyone. If youโ€™re the type of person that gets nervous when your rig makes the slightest move then I would look for something smaller.

I'm similar. 8,200 lbs scaled (and GVW) and 34'4" length. I use a Equal-i-zer 4 pt hitch and spent a good chunk of time getting it set up. Biggest issue I have is porpoising on bad roads, Jasper to Banff or on the Oregon Coast. And no choice for secondary roads.

I'm good, but we are looking at bigger units so I'm looking at 1 ton trucks first.

Get Bilstein shocks, made a huge difference on cement roads for us, we just did the rears but the difference was so big the wife said we're doing the fronts too before we were 200 miles down the road.

As far as OP, my trailer is a few inches longer, no issues in the first 3k miles, I'll have a better idea after our next big trip to Utah and Colorado.

If I was keeping my setup, I'd do just this. Even had them in a Rock Auto cart at one point.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Toolguy5 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Wind with soft tires and longer TT will effect how it handles.

Very true.
Weight distributions and tires are important.

Thank you !!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
gmckenzie wrote:
mooky stinks wrote:
I towed a scaled 8300 lb 35ft Outback with a Chevy 1500 max tow 10 times a year for 6 years. Weight was never a problem but wind was. A couple trips I had to take secondary roads instead of the interstate. Ultimately itโ€™s up to you and your set up. The hitch being dialed in is absolutely critical. Expect days when you wonโ€™t be able to relax. Itโ€™s certainly not for everyone. If youโ€™re the type of person that gets nervous when your rig makes the slightest move then I would look for something smaller.

I'm similar. 8,200 lbs scaled (and GVW) and 34'4" length. I use a Equal-i-zer 4 pt hitch and spent a good chunk of time getting it set up. Biggest issue I have is porpoising on bad roads, Jasper to Banff or on the Oregon Coast. And no choice for secondary roads.

I'm good, but we are looking at bigger units so I'm looking at 1 ton trucks first.

Get Bilstein shocks, made a huge difference on cement roads for us, we just did the rears but the difference was so big the wife said we're doing the fronts too before we were 200 miles down the road.

As far as OP, my trailer is a few inches longer, no issues in the first 3k miles, I'll have a better idea after our next big trip to Utah and Colorado.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Wind with soft tires and longer TT will effect how it handles.

Very true.
Weight distributions and tires are important.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
CaLBaR wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
burningman wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
I`m waiting for the 4500/5500 guys to show up and say how dangerous it is to tow anything with the puny 3500 dually! LOL

a properly equipped 1500 at ???? % of max capacity is just as safe as a 2500/3500 at the same ???? % of max capacity.

That sounds right at first but 2500-3500 pickups are much more conservatively under-rated. and the softer sidewall tires on 1/2 tons make a.big difference too.

I think the bottom line is the 1/2 ton will get that trailer where itโ€™s going, but not comfortably or confidently.

I donโ€™t understand why anyone who can afford a late model 1500 and a big new trailer doesnโ€™t just get a heavier truck. That 1500 has enough resale value to go buy a similar year 2500 or 3500. Youโ€™re gonna add cash if you want a diesel, but hey youโ€™re gas already.

Thereโ€™s a lot of things that a lot of people who donโ€™t look outside their own bubble donโ€™t understand.....
But Iโ€™ll give you one example to consider. And this example is probably the most prominent one.
Guy owns a half ton for commuting every day, hoe depot trips and because heโ€™s a man and doesnโ€™t drive a car or suv. Guy also takes his family RVing a couple/few times a year.
Doesnโ€™t make sense for guy to get a HD or to maybe trade or sell a vehicle heโ€™s piling the miles on and settle for a โ€œequalโ€ high miler. Or guy doesnโ€™t want to give up the gas mileage of the 1/2 ton for 95% of his miles for the belt and suspenders for the other 5%.

But Iโ€™m also not convinced that will register as valid reasoning. But I tried.

And this not even getting into towing distances, geographical location, etc. everyone likes to assume worst case scenario. Pulling the IKE with 40mph x winds. When again, for many, most, this will never be the case. Or anything near that.

Totally agree with this statement and did it for a number of years as well. I don't see any issue with what the OP is asking about and did it as well for 12 years and would again if my situation required it. That trailer is not too much for the truck in question for weight or length.
As long as your towing within the vehicles ratings your fine.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
goducks10 wrote:
ksss wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
I`m waiting for the 4500/5500 guys to show up and say how dangerous it is to tow anything with the puny 3500 dually! LOL

a properly equipped 1500 at ???? % of max capacity is just as safe as a 2500/3500 at the same ???? % of max capacity.

That may be true, but it sure doesn't "feel" that way. I haven't ridden or driven in a lot of 1500's loaded heavy, but when I have, it sure feels less "secure" than a HD pickup loaded heavy. All that is really subjective, but given the choice of running a 1500 at 90% of capacity or a 3500 at 90% capacity, no question which one I would prefer to be in.

Using RAWR and GVWR most 1/2 tons are at GVWR when reaching RAWR. Not so with 3/4-1 tons.
I've towed with a 1/2 ton 50 lbs under RAWR and GVWR and it was not fun. Truck and trailer never felt like they were on the same road. It was a two handed tow 90% of the time. Moved up to a 3/4 ton and it was back to a comfortable one handed drive.

50lbs below?? Lol.
Some of you are a bunch of drama queens, donโ€™t know a poorly loaded trailer, or just shouldnโ€™t be driving w trailers....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
burningman wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

That sounds right at first but 2500-3500 pickups are much more conservatively under-rated. and the softer sidewall tires on 1/2 tons make a.big difference too.

I think the bottom line is the 1/2 ton will get that trailer where itโ€™s going, but not comfortably or confidently.

I donโ€™t understand why anyone who can afford a late model 1500 and a big new trailer doesnโ€™t just get a heavier truck. That 1500 has enough resale value to go buy a similar year 2500 or 3500. Youโ€™re gonna add cash if you want a diesel, but hey youโ€™re gas already.

Thereโ€™s a lot of things that a lot of people who donโ€™t look outside their own bubble donโ€™t understand.....
But Iโ€™ll give you one example to consider. And this example is probably the most prominent one.
Guy owns a half ton for commuting every day, hoe depot trips and because heโ€™s a man and doesnโ€™t drive a car or suv. Guy also takes his family RVing a couple/few times a year.
Doesnโ€™t make sense for guy to get a HD or to maybe trade or sell a vehicle heโ€™s piling the miles on and settle for a โ€œequalโ€ high miler. Or guy doesnโ€™t want to give up the gas mileage of the 1/2 ton for 95% of his miles for the belt and suspenders for the other 5%.

But Iโ€™m also not convinced that will register as valid reasoning. But I tried.

And this not even getting into towing distances, geographical location, etc. everyone likes to assume worst case scenario. Pulling the IKE with 40mph x winds. When again, for many, most, this will never be the case. Or anything near that.

Totally agree with this statement and did it for a number of years as well. I don't see any issue with what the OP is asking about and did it as well for 12 years and would again if my situation required it. That trailer is not too much for the truck in question for weight or length.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Like button!

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
but cool looking cab over Jimmy!

It was a Titan 90 Chevy not the cousin Astro 95 GMC. Just saying! 350 Detroit and 13 speed Road Ranger. Needed the 13 gears as the power band was 300 RPM 1900-2200. Screaming Jimmy!

It had a cool for the day wrap around dash.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

That may be true, but it sure doesn't "feel" that way. I haven't ridden or driven in a lot of 1500's loaded heavy, but when I have, it sure feels less "secure" than a HD pickup loaded heavy. All that is really subjective, but given the choice of running a 1500 at 90% of capacity or a 3500 at 90% capacity, no question which one I would prefer to be in.

Using RAWR and GVWR most 1/2 tons are at GVWR when reaching RAWR. Not so with 3/4-1 tons.
I've towed with a 1/2 ton 50 lbs under RAWR and GVWR and it was not fun. Truck and trailer never felt like they were on the same road. It was a two handed tow 90% of the time. Moved up to a 3/4 ton and it was back to a comfortable one handed drive.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ksss wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

Then you havenโ€™t been in the right trucks as you admitted. And it is subjective. Totally.
What happened here is one guy got whisky throttle in a srw truck (subjective) and put it off in the toolies and now swears by a dually. But he then loads the dually to its absolute max rated capacity and tells others their not safe doing the same thing.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
burningman wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Having the right tool for the job has always been important when stuff happens."

This is what I have been preaching for years. I ended up rolling over South Portland with not enough truck. I was told my setup was just fine, NOT!!!

Ohhhhh, well this makes sense. You put one rubber side up. (Btw, none of us will know any of the details and pride of ownership undoubtedly shifts blame to anything but the one in โ€œcontrolโ€. Not singling you out, itโ€™s human nature in everyone)

Now that means that srw trucks canโ€™t handle trailers that theyโ€™re rated to tow?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

YEP, a 1500 can tow it but can it "HANDLE" it in unforeseen conditions.

How is it less safe to pull a (the OP) 9-10klb trailer with a 6000lb+ truck rated to tow 11k,
than pulling almost 30k with a 8000lb + truck rated to tow almost 30k?

Seems like you are both at roughly the same % of max capacity...

Two major differences.

#1 Cummins12v98 is towing a 5th wheel which is 100% more stable than a TT in cross winds and not affected by semi's bow waves.

#2 He also has four tires under the hitch, six total.

True DAT!!!

I was blown away at how stable my last and current DRV's were in the wind towing them with DRW's. Same conditions going to Phoenix Eastbound with friends in a 40' MH. Stopped at our destination, he got out looking frazzled.

1500 with soft sidewalls compounds the problem.

And a 1500 with stiff sidewalls (and suspension) doesnโ€™t. Maybe should leave them at 30psi to prove a point?? Lol