cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Under 3000, what do you like in a hard side TT

WTW
Explorer
Explorer
Shopping an easy tow, comfy TT. I have limited tow, due to my tow vehicle. It will be just me and my wife on outings. Children are grown. Liking the vista cruise products. 19erd. What do you all have or like? Thanks
Ps had a Hybrid, not interested, camp sites get noisy at night in a hybrid.
Work/live Lakeland, FL
2016 Ram Crew 5.7 Hemi
2019 Grand Design 2150RB
Soon- empty nesting.
14 REPLIES 14

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
WTW wrote:
Jon. Thanks for your note. Funny, a buddy and I were at RV dealers learning this AM. Your blog came up. He follows you. But we were having little luck following your TV progression. Thanks for the on-site. Seems you have moved on from the RAV4? My friend likes the Minnieโ€™s, too. Keep it fun. Tomm

The RAV4 towed the 17B for 85000 miles, switched to a 2016 Tacoma for another 15000 miles, then switched trailers to the 21. Tried to keep the Tacoma because I loved the truck, but the new 3.5 engine wasn't really much of a tow vehicle - lots of time at 4000RPM (although within tow ratings, I was also over payload by 200 lbs).

Current tow vehicle is a 2018 F150 3.5 Ecoboost. A great tow for the 21, and with the optional 36 gallon tank, I finally have a tow vehicle that let me choose where to fill up instead of at almost every gas station I drive by!

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve never owned one but if I was in the market for that size trailer I would seriously consider r-pod. They seem to kind of lean to the off road side which I am really starting to pursue and enjoying more and more all the time.
Hope you find the perfect one!
Happy shopping!

WTW
Explorer
Explorer
Jon. Thanks for your note. Funny, a buddy and I were at RV dealers learning this AM. Your blog came up. He follows you. But we were having little luck following your TV progression. Thanks for the on-site. Seems you have moved on from the RAV4? My friend likes the Minnieโ€™s, too. Keep it fun. Tomm
Work/live Lakeland, FL
2016 Ram Crew 5.7 Hemi
2019 Grand Design 2150RB
Soon- empty nesting.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
My loaded weight for an Escape 17B was 3010 pounds & 340 pounds tongue weight. Towed it for 100,000 miles, the first 85,000 with a V6 RAV4. My current Escape 21 weighs a bit more at 4600 pounds!

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
If your target is 3500#, you most likely will be over that. Brochure dry weight is 3227#. The brochure weight is a figment of the marketing departmentโ€™s mind. To be sure, Iโ€™d look at the sticker from the factory.
Best to look at gross weight, which seems to be 4760#.
I really like the roof and general layout. We looked at this model when it was called a Visa. I didnโ€™t like putting that weight on a single axle, though. The tires will be maxed out before the suspension is.
With all that, your truck will be within specs. I pulled our camper all over the US with a Frontier 4 liter V6 with nary a problem. It weighed in at just shy of 5000# most of the time.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
WTW, it looks like the 19ERD should tow okay with your F150. Your fuel economy will drop like a rock, but that is the case with most vehicles towing a barn.

Watch the tongue wt, and as said, use a WDH, and you should be okay. Long uphills may heat the engine, but use Tow-Haul, and it should manage the temps okay. Just seems to be a small engine, to me, to be towing a full-height TT. Doable, but I wouldn't want to go any heavier.

Happy camping!
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Scamp, Casita, Lil Snoozy and similar molded fiberglass body trailers will give you good fuel economy and easy towing. Expect 2-4 mpg better than a more boxy trailer.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I would go to a few dealers or a rv show and find a floor plan that works for your needs.

hookie
Explorer
Explorer
I like the floor plan of my TT. Walk around bed up front with dinette on curbside facing own campsite, plus windows all around so it feels bigger, not closed in. Itโ€™s about 2600 lbs dry with 3500 gvwr. The brand new ones have identical floor plans but with some upgrades and new model number. Itโ€™s an โ€œentry levelโ€ TT but good enough for me, no problems or issues at almost 6 years old. Iโ€™ve had it several times boondooking in the Rockies and itโ€™s still in one piece!
'14 Sportsmen Classic 190
'17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7 Hemi

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
WTW wrote:
My tow vehicle
2017 F-150 Crew
3.5NA not eco-boost
Rear-end 355
Tow max, per Ford 5000#

I would believe the 5000#, but you will need a weight distribution hitch AND brakes on the trailer.

Watch the temp gauge and if you run into any hills, kick it out of overdrive before the engine bogs down too much.

Installing a 3.73 rear axle ratio gear set will help a lot and not hurt your fuel economy that much.

WTW
Explorer
Explorer
My tow vehicle
2017 F-150 Crew
3.5NA not eco-boost
Rear-end 355
Tow max, per Ford 5000#
Not much info on towing TT w/ this rig!?!
So thanks for all and any info/help
Love the truck and MPG,
Tow my bass boat and get 16.4 MPG on highway!
I did not have a TT in my thoughts until recently
My wife has a Ram Crew with a 5.7 Hemi, but I want something light and small anyway and tow with my Ford. Thanks for your constructive thoughts! Tomm
Work/live Lakeland, FL
2016 Ram Crew 5.7 Hemi
2019 Grand Design 2150RB
Soon- empty nesting.

WTW
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, this will be my third TT and have owned 5 different boats. Ford says my rig will tow 5000# door sticker says 1550#. So I am looking at 3000# with a thought of 500# in stuff, so 3500# or 70% of fords max tow. I do have tow/haul button and tow option on my 302a f-150 package. Avoid crowds, how does my tow vehicle match up with the 19erd? I respect towing inside my limits, thus the light trailer request.
Work/live Lakeland, FL
2016 Ram Crew 5.7 Hemi
2019 Grand Design 2150RB
Soon- empty nesting.

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
The 19ERD is 2,847 lbs with no options, no luggage or cooking gear, or water. GVWR is 4,380 lbs. You should be using the GVWR for your shopping, as you won't tow it without options or anything in it.

If you have a tow vehicle (TV) with a 3,000 towing capacity, there are very few, if any, hard-sided trailers that you could safely tow. You will wear-out your TV somewhat quickly if you tow a trailer at the max rating for very far.

Also, look at your TV cargo capacity. Tongue wt will be about 12% of the trailer weight. In this case, a minimum of 450 lbs. Put you and your wife in your car, with all luggage, and do you still have 450 lbs of cargo capacity? Does your TV have a towing package? If no, the drawbar and weight-distribution hitch will also take away cargo capacity.

Be very careful if you are looking for a light trailer due to a low tow rating. Very easy to get in over your head, as-in emergency maneuvering/braking. Small vehicles don't always tow well.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have one but take a look at the Jayco 2019 Hummingbird 17MBS that tops out at 3000 lbs.
Some of the smaller rigs have outdoor kitchens which I am not a fan of but this kitchen is inside.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)