cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is the best value - Airstream or Avion

Gaziger
Explorer
Explorer
I'm at a point in my life that I am considering purchasing and refurbishing a vintage TT. I am looking at a 1987 Avion 28' 3 axle with new tires (and some new but uninstalled parts) v a 1970's Airstream (several options). The seller is asking $5K for the Avion and the Airstreams are all over the place.

Everything I've read indicates the Avion is a better quality trailer but that Airstream is more popular and appears to hold its value better and may appreciate faster.

Any thoughts? I have the skills to do the work myself and the time, which is why I'm even considering this. This would be kind of a job until I decide what I want to do from this point forward.

BTW, I'm in SW Alabama so there are lots of options for TT's around here.
10 REPLIES 10

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Avion is much heavier, some ‘70’s Airstreams had frame issues- rear bath models after they added a gray water tank. Google airstream elephant ears to see what to look for in terms of factory repair.
I like the Airstream suspension far more than the Avion, though they do wear out, the rubber just deteriorates. Replacement is not hard, but something to look out for.

All of that said, as a useable RV, the Avion is a better value. As an investment, the Airstream, though I think any RV investment is tricky, unless you do it as a business.
-- Chris Bryant

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I voted with my pocketbook when I bought an Airstream.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I like the old Silver Streak aluminum trailer as well. Kind of like the Avion in it's more square.

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
If you plan to keep it, pick either one.
If you plan to sell it in the not to distant future...
Pick the Airstream.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Strictly a matter of choice.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
My two cents...
Although I do like the look of both trailers, I feel they are way overpriced for what you get. I understand the reasons folks are drawn to these Aircraft style trailers. Rather than choosing this style of trailer I would choose a similar sized and equipped non-aircraft style travel trailer at a cost savings over an Airstream or Avion.

Just my opinion-- but if the only choice was Avion or Airstream I would go with the Avion due to the looks and uniqueness or the Airstream if I was looking for a better resale value.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
At that age, inherent value will be based on condition not brand.

Refinished, my guess would be that an Airstream would have more market recognition so easier to sell.

Avions had squarer shoulders so a little more storage.

Airstream more sleek looking.

Matter of taste.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
No first hand experience but have always heard Avion was better built.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
guy over the hill rebuilds airstreams about one every couple years can,t tell them from new. says he can sell them before there finished.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate seeing a restored Avion more than an Airstream.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad