cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winterizing

TomS1345
Explorer
Explorer
What is a good air compressorto blow out water lines?
13 REPLIES 13

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
joelc wrote:
A compressor will get rid of most of your water, but to do it right I would also use RV antifreeze. Don't forget to open your low drains and empty your water tank. If it gets really cold where you are use the antifreeze.

clean the lines with air. doesn't need a very large compressor, just want to keep the pressure down to 25-35psi. BUT this will NOT protect any P traps!! that's where you need the RV antifreeze. put some down each P trap.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
joelc wrote:
George3037 wrote:
Also not mentioned is to shut off the HW heater switches and empty your HW heater tank. If so equipped, close the inlet and outlet valves and open the bypass line valve. I just winterized my MH, TT, and assisted two friends doing theirs.

Some RV's do not have water by-pass kits intalled at the water heater. A good point made is if you don't have a by-pass installed in your RV,one can be installed. It will save time and increase efficiency if you blow out your system, and if you are using antifreeze save multiple gallons.

I am so glad mine has one. My water heater is tucked in a corner under the stove and there is no way in hell I could get at it to add one without dismantling my kitchen cabinets.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
George3037 wrote:
Also not mentioned is to shut off the HW heater switches and empty your HW heater tank. If so equipped, close the inlet and outlet valves and open the bypass line valve. I just winterized my MH, TT, and assisted two friends doing theirs.

Some RV's do not have water by-pass kits intalled at the water heater. A good point made is if you don't have a by-pass installed in your RV,one can be installed. It will save time and increase efficiency if you blow out your system, and if you are using antifreeze save multiple gallons.

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
afidel wrote:
Bigbird65 wrote:
You need a compressor that you can regulate down to 35 psi.

Why? PEX tubing and valves are rated for 160PSI of water @73F, I use 90 PSI of air which is much gentler and it works just fine.

The tubing is rated at 160 PSI but the crimped and screwed-on connectors are not rated that high. At 90 PSI you can cause a connector to fail. Normal water pressure is between 45-60 PSI so there is no real need for 90 PSI.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Most of us that blow out the lines don't use any antifreeze unless it's to dump some in the P traps.

George3037
Explorer
Explorer

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

There are thousands of RV's that don't have PEX tubing. 35 psi is adequate to the needs.

afidel wrote:
Why? PEX tubing and valves are rated for 160PSI of water @73F, I use 90 PSI of air which is much gentler and it works just fine.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bigbird65 wrote:

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Before I got a pancake compressor I had used a 7 gallon air tank used to top off tires.

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
joelc wrote:
A compressor will get rid of most of your water, but to do it right I would also use RV antifreeze. Don't forget to open your low drains and empty your water tank. If it gets really cold where you are use the antifreeze.

Another good point. In 5 years of using my air compressor here in North Texas, where it can get down into the teens, I have never had a broken pipe or anything else damaged from freezing. So far so good. I do take my time and don't rush through blow out process. Also, I leave the low point drains open until our first camping trip in the Spring.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
You can use pretty much any air compressor but I'd use a pancake compressor with a 6 gal tank at the minimum. You are just pressurizing the lines of the camper so it doesn't take much volume to fill them. A compressor like a 12V car compressor will probably run too long enough to risk burning up the motor if you tried to use one of those.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran