cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power awning if fabric tears

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
I have not seen this question asked but then again, I may have missed it. When we were on a trip with an older trailer with a manual pull out awning, we were on the road so the awning was retracted when a passer by wanted us to pull over. We did and found the top of the fabric on the awning was tearing and the brackets were starting to fall down on the side of the trailer. I had some plastic tie wraps and good old duct tape and secured the brackets after I cut off all the fabric so we could continue on with our trip.
My question is...on the new power awnings, there are no holes through the support arms so if the fabric holding the awning next to the trailer starts to come apart, how do we secure the arms against the trailer? I know, a lot of words for a simple question but I sure would like to know what to do if this happens.
Much thanks,
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK
7 REPLIES 7

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all!!
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was able to zip tie mine Just wrap it around the arm. YOu can also drill a hole all the way through (Do it very very carefully) and install a pin but I just Zip Tied. they make reusable zip ties by the way.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
They're held in by the motor.
Uh, I don't think so. If the awning fabric tears completely, the awning arms will go out. I believe the awning motor only works if there's fabric to work with.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. RV'ers need to check the condition of the fabric as it ages
2. IF the power awning has arms, you can still slide wire ties between the back of the arm to secure the arms. You may need to use a putty knife or screwdriver to get that 1/8 inch but it can be done. Doug

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could use the Awning Lock they make ones for manual and electric awnings.
I have a manual awning and have used it for many years and would not go anywhere without it.

You could read more about them Here.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
They're held in by the motor.