cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda EU2000i at high altitude

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
I will be using my EU2000i at approx. 7K ft altitude for a couple of weeks. Probably about 4 hrs per day to recharge my 12 volt battery.

After making a post on this subject a couple of months ago, I have spoken with 2 Honda repair centers in WY and MT, and they say that there should be no need to change the main jet to one specified for higher altitudes. This change is only specified for those operating the generators for longer periods of time at high altitudes (weeks or months). The worse that could happen is possibly a fouled spark plug.

I know the jet change is not a big job, but I would prefer to not make the change unless necessary.

My question is for those of you that have been in a similar situation, did your EU2000 perform well with the standard main jet?
13 REPLIES 13

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
we go between sea level and 6-7000 ft quite often and never bothered to change jets in my honda 2000 or the honda 2200.

you will loose power and max output on the 2000. The 2200 has a much larger engine and seems to be able to keep up with max rated output even at 6,000+ ft.

But if it's battery charging, shouldn't be an issue.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
Itinerant1 wrote:
It's such an easy job to change the jet and at the same time clean the carburetor, why not just take 30 minute's and do it so the generator runs optimally than "it should run ok" and possibly do it in the field.

I realize that it's an easy job. I have watched the youtube videos, but considering I'm not the best small engine mechanic, I just don't want to risk screwing up a good running engine. I'm leaving on my trip in a couple of weeks and if I mess up I could be without a generator. Not good.

I've weighed the benefits against the risk, and considering what I've been told by Honda techs and the comments in this thread, and considering I'll only be using the generator for 10 days, I just can't see taking the risk. I do see your point.

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
It's such an easy job to change the jet and at the same time clean the carburetor, why not just take 30 minute's and do it so the generator runs optimally than "it should run ok" and possibly do it in the field.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:

I did it at a peak over 7000 feet on a couple ham radio Field Day weekends, and the Honda ran all weekend with no issues what so ever. It still does, but I may have changed the spark plug since then, it was a few years ago.

Those were a couple fun weekends. The land dropped off all around me, I had a 20 meter dipole up about 35 feet and pretty much worked anyone I wanted on 20 with 100 watts. Last year by a lake I almost couldn't buy a contact.

Your message reminded me of how much fun I used to have working ARRL Field Day. 40M CW was my favorite. We had a great local club and always had good turnout. I live at close to sea level so never had the privilege to have a 7000 ft tower at my disposal. 73

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
Well........thank all of you for the comments. Looks apparent the verdict is that the stock jet will work for me at 7000 ft. By the way, I have purchased the 5-7K ft jet for the Honda and I will have that with me just in case, but I really did not want to have to get into the carb, and then have to re-do the job when I got back home. I will also carry a couple of extra plugs just in case.

The Honda techs I spoke with said that all newer small engines really run lean these days thanks to current EPA manufacturing standards. They said this may be one reason why the stock jets work OK at higher altitudes.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have a pair of Yamaha's, and have three friends with the Honda's. I don't think any of us have changed jets. All have been run about 10,000' for charging purposes and microwave as well.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you are concerned, bring extra spark plugs.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
I lived in Colorado at 8200' for 30 years and used a pair of Honda generators for various uses since for more than 15 years. Since you are only going to charge a 12v battery at 7000', don't worry about it. When you get to around 10,000' and above, even a pair of them in parallel they will get "breathless" trying to run the A/C, a toaster oven, TV, lights, etc. Like I said not to worry about changing jets.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Having serviced everything from Honda 600s to Wisconsin V4 37.5 horsepower prime movers at altitudes to 11,200 ft. (Saddlebag Lake) my opinion about the necessity of reducing jet orifices is not glowing.

I had difficulty in discerning any difference in power. No reduction in exhaust smoke. But I did re-set to reduce oil contamination and improve spark plug life.
Using a "scale" of total improvements with prime movers with adjustable initial timing, the aggregate total of timing and jets was estimated to be 97% timing and 3% re-jetting. On a high altitude only service pickup I fitted 12.5 to 1 compression pistons and that modification amounted to at best only a modest increase in power. By far turbocharging with a waste gate or supercharging made significant power gains.
As a side note I successfully was able to use regular gasoline in the service truck.
I wish you the best of luck

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
With only four hours a day of running your generator to recharge your batteries, the Honda should handle this work fine at 7000 feet. No other option I guess.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think I may have posted this in another thread, or at least I thought about it. I live at 5500 feet, and have camped at over 7000 feet and I run the stock jets. The only issue you may have is reduced output do to reduced engine power, but if all you are doing is charging your batteries, don't even worry about it.

I did it at a peak over 7000 feet on a couple ham radio Field Day weekends, and the Honda ran all weekend with no issues what so ever. It still does, but I may have changed the spark plug since then, it was a few years ago.

Those were a couple fun weekends. The land dropped off all around me, I had a 20 meter dipole up about 35 feet and pretty much worked anyone I wanted on 20 with 100 watts. Last year by a lake I almost couldn't buy a contact.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
delete

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
We just did 8 days boondocking out side Bryce, around 7500 ft. Ran the EU2000 every day, no problems at all.

With "standard" carburetor jet ???

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just did 8 days boondocking out side Bryce, around 7500 ft. Ran the EU2000 every day, no problems at all.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper