cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TPMS question

bsbeedub
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a TST tpms system with flow through sensors. I now need metal valve stems for the trailer and the truck. Putting metal valve stems on the trailer is no problem but the truck is another issue.
Even though the truck has a factory tpms system, I want to use the TST system because Iโ€™ll be able to watch it in real time like the trailer. Using the rubber factory stems is not recommended by TST because they flex too much while at highway speeds causing air to escape from the stem where it attaches to the rim.
In Missouri (and possibly other states) it is illegal to disengage/remove factory tpms sensors located inside the tire. I had a nice discussion with my tire guy and he told me this, much to my surprise. I searched the internet and sure enough, itโ€™s true.
Ram does not make a metal valve stem that attaches to the factory tpms so Iโ€™m searching for an aftermarket stem that does.
Iโ€™ve seen an aluminum stem at AutoZone that might work (Iโ€™ll have to compare it to the OEM rubber stem at the auto parts store) but Iโ€™ve read where the aluminum ones corrode too much and cause more issues.
Can anyone with this same issue tell me what you did?
Bob & Susan
Shelby the Beagle June 8, 2005 - Dec. 24, 2016
2018 Ram 3500 6.4 HEMI, long bed, 4.10โ€™s
2021 Coachman Chaparral Lite 25 RE
2011 Gulfstream Ameri-Lite 23BW - retired
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 - retired
8 REPLIES 8

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Flow thru=more potential for leaks. At least youโ€™ll โ€œknowโ€ it sucks and your tire is going flat I suppose.
Thereโ€™s a reason that Schrader valves are normally closedโ€ฆ..because theyโ€™re supposed to be to NOT LEAK!
Best way to not have a flat on your truck is donโ€™t mess with whatโ€™s thereโ€ฆ.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I would advise to avoid the flow-through sensors. They are pretty much a PIA, as the flow rate to add air is very slow. I remove the sensors to add air because of that reason.

We took the sensors off too. They were more trouble than they were worth.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
I would advise to avoid the flow-through sensors. They are pretty much a PIA, as the flow rate to add air is very slow. I remove the sensors to add air because of that reason.

My experience is identical to fj12ryder's. I used the flow through sensors for 10 years, but then got royally tired of it and bought the button style and threw away the flow throughs.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
You can use the TPMS sensors with the trucks factory stems. They are high pressure and have a reinforced brass insert inside the rubber. I use the TST sensors on my Explorer and my Ram which have the same stems. I donโ€™t use flow through sensors though as they are just too long and bulky. I use the cap sensors which are smaller.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Or stop looking for a solution to a problem that doesnโ€™t exist and use the perfectly good TPMS system that come with your vehicle that you can likely also watch in real time if you switch to that screen and watch it instead of the road.

Besides you will likely get an error message every time you start the rig which you may not have or want the ability to bypass. As well as youโ€™ll have the low tire pressure idiot light forever guaranteed. Like taxes.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I solved that problem by buying a new Chevy truck that has an option for trailer TPMS. A low tire for the truck or trailer will show up on my info screen.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Drive to a state that doesn't have that law and get them changed there.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB