cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 planning

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 5er & truck have not been in storage 4 days yet & the loose plans have started for 2020 already. Sometimes we find ourselves doing a loose theme to a trip. This year it was around the Great Lakes. A few years ago we sort of followed the Erie Canal then into Canada for the Trent Severn Waterway & 1000 islands.

For 2020, staying east of the Mississippi but trying to link scenic routes & byways. The idea was inspired by the route we took this fall from Savanah, GA. up to Richmond VA. Most would take I 95 but we did it east of I95 barely using the interstate at all & mostly on 2 lane roads.

A very pleasant if longer drive.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995
8 REPLIES 8

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I often started planning next year's trips while on vacation. Still do it even without the motorhome.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really enjoy planning our summer trips out early. Our 2020 trip theme is "Ghost Towns". I've already have some great suggestions from my post here on the subject. We have 10 weeks available start in mid June to the end of August. We prefer the "US" routes to the interstates. Slower but so much more to see. I like to break out the paper maps, find my points of interest then connect the dots. Nothing is set in stone though. So far we're going to work our way west to Mesa Verde NP Co.. Hang there for a bit, then work our way north to Montana visiting various Ghost Towns and anything else interesting along the way. Being such a huge area I'm sure we won't have enough time, but the good thing is, God willing,we can always come back and finish the tour.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Doug,
I'm a planner too. Right now I am putting together getting to Patterson LA in the spring and Rapid City SD for the fall rallies and then what comes between??

I am going to suggest that you look at picking up Skyline Drive in Front Royal VA and run that to the Blue Ridge Parkway. This will take some planning as there are some low clearance tunnels on the BRP. I don't remember them because I only need 9' to be good. BRP will end in Cherokee NC.

From there, it is about a full day (~300 road miles) to the head of the Natchez Trace. You can take that to Natchez(Duh?) and have a stop along the way to tour Vicksburg. There really is an historical marked about every other mile along the Trace. You need to find the book.

From Natchez you can do a river crawl as far south as you like and then head back along the gulf coast. I can't even remember all the museums, but Mobile and Pensacola Naval Air are a given.

There is enough else to do between there and Maryland that I am sure that you can find something to do on the backhaul.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We also spend a lot of time planning. One of our best was a couple of years ago we did our "Spring Falls" trip where we toured several falls of TN, GA & AL and it was great planning and experiencing. Later that year was the appropriate "Fall Springs" trip through out central Florida. And terrific again.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
We do themed trips too. All you have to do is pick a subject you're interested in. Do an internet search of places and events that fit the theme. Plan your itinerary and go.

A few years ago it was going to all the places with old fashioned trains that do day trips.

Another year it was lighthouses, beaches and seafood.

One year it was Cape Breton and Nova Scotia.

Then there were the Longmire Days trips and visiting old Western towns.

Geology was a theme one year. Pipestem State Park and Fairy Stone SP in VA. The Crater of Diamonds SP, AR. Geodes in KY and IA.

Fishing is a recurring theme for me.

Herself likes to go to Blue Grass festivals around the US and the Old Fiddler's Convention in VA.

Astronomy and star parties are another recurring theme for us and we also go to Dutch Oven Gatherings.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
It's encouraging to think about summer plans when the snow falls and the wind blows.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
My 2 week gulf coast trip was planned and booked even before the MH went into storage. I don't like to wait and see if I get a spot. I've booked a year in advance before and have been lucky to get the last spot.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

junmy3
Explorer
Explorer
Have fun. We plan our trips around National Parks and visiting family. In January we start a 100 day trip to visit close to 40 National Park sites out west. In September a two month trip to Pennsylvania and Maryland to visit family and only 10 National Parks. If course NP include monuments, battlefields, and such.
Jim & Junnie
2016 Jay Flight 27RLS