Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Colorado campground for next summer

Lurker52
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone,

I am writing to see what RV park in Colorado near Buena Vista you might recommend for a month or two stay. (July and August) Last summer we stayed at Star Valley Ranch RV Park in Star Valley Wyoming. This is a park where individuals own the site. We rented a site form the owner.

This was a really great stay. The park has plenty of activities. A pool, pickle ball and golf nearby. I definitely recommend this park. It is a bit dated but clean and friendly. It is about an hour south of Jackson Hole and Grand Teton National Park. Yellowstone can be a long day trip. At SVR we really did not use most of the activities so those things are not as important as a nice site in a nice park at a reasonable price.

I am hoping to find a similar place in Colorado. I am open to location although Buena Vista seems nice. I do want it to be high enough to escape the heat. I would say 6000 ft. or more. If you all have any places that you have stayed and think they are what I am looking for please leave your comments about the park and its location. What you liked about it and if you would stay there again.

Also, the access to the park. If there are any big climbs on the route and road conditions. I live in Florida so I will be arriving from the east. I have a 2001 Monaco 36โ€™ motor home with a Cummins 5.9 and Allison tranny and a toad. I donโ€™t do climbs very fast, slow and steady and if I can avoid climbs, I do.

Again, amenities are not as important to us as a good base camp to explore the natural surroundings and beauty of the Rockies.

Thanks, as always
13 REPLIES 13

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
Lurker52 wrote:
Thank you everyone for the responses. I am also looking at Westcliffe if anyone has any info. on that area and RV parks

H E R E - Westcliffe is the link to reviews for campgrounds/RV parks in that area. Note that there are several RV parks to choose from, in addition to USFS CG. The views from the valley looking east are incredible, from just about anywhere in the valley.

Good info from Thom - Keep in mind here you will not be able to quickly get a lot more elevation for those Cool Nights most of us seek in the Middle of the Summer! (Especially if you get a HOT week or Two)

While it may cool some it will not be nearly as cool as Leadville which is just north of Buena Vista.

Let us Know what you do and how it is,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lurker52 wrote:
Thank you everyone for the responses. I am also looking at Westcliffe if anyone has any info. on that area and RV parks

H E R E - Westcliffe is the link to reviews for campgrounds/RV parks in that area. Note that there are several RV parks to choose from, in addition to USFS CG. The views from the valley looking west are incredible, from just about anywhere in the valley.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Lurker52
Explorer
Explorer

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
Will be hard to find a place for so long in that area.Buena Vista in the summer is very busy.We try last summer to stay few days but all nice campgrounds was full.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

EgorKC
Explorer
Explorer
Consider Mountaindale RV park Colorado Springs. Its 15 miles southwest of Colorado Springs. Beautiful park and well maintained with Pine trees throughout. Spacious sites. Close to all the activities in Colo Springs and Royal Gorge area.
You could spend a few days there and then take 50 thru Canon City and visit the Buena Vista area too. Elevation of Colo Springs is 6030. Mountaindale is a bit lower by probably 300-500ft. Mornings in Late June were high 40's to low 50's last year. 60 by 10 am.
Greg
You cannot stop growing old but you don't have to grow up. ๐Ÿ™‚
Chef/Pilot
DW/Navigator
2 Sons, 1 DIL, 3 Grandsons, 1 Granddaughter. Boz the cat:)
2012 F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke 4X4 SWD Crewcab.
2012 Wildcat 313RE-OK

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Also agree with my friend, BB_Tex about those areas he mentioned.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I would concur with the suggestion of Arrowhead Point RV Park just north of the town of Buena Vista. We have also stayed in the KOA just south of town. We do not usually choose KOA parks, but this is one which we have enjoyed.

I also think that Buena Vista is a good choice and you have good access for day trips to Gunnison, Crested Butte, Canyon City, Leadville, and Aspen (NOT with an RV in regard to Aspen) -- to name a few.

There are many possibilities for hiking--short trails, long trails, difficult trails and some easier trails.

Also Buena Vista is noted for river rafting on the Arkansas during the summer.

All in all a good choice.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
South central CO is also a beautiful area. South Fork, Creede, Pagosa Springs, Durango, can be reached without any significant climbs. Lake City area is also beautiful but requires crossing some mountain passes, but good for a day trip if in the area. Lots of RV parks in the area.

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
There are numerous RV parks around South Fork CO, a little further South than you are thinking but still cool and around 8500 feet.
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
First, the search. As pointed out above, use campgroundreviews.com for your search. Buena Vista is in the Upper Arkansas Valley, so also consider from Salida to Leadville and points in between. There's quite a number of commercial campgrounds that could fit what you're looking for. Sounds like you're not really interested in USFS CG, and there are a plethora of those around that area. When you find one that suits your needs, make reservations early, as the Upper Arkansas is a popular area.

As to getting there, you CAN get there without substantial climbs, by taking US 50 west from Canon City. It's twisty/curvy and some ups/downs, but by no means any substantial climbs. Takes you right to Salida and on to Poncha Springs, where you can pick up US 285 which will get you into the heart of the Valley.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
We like Arrowhead Point just outside of Buena Vista. You can search this area by using Campground Reviews
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
We have next August reserved at Vallecito Resort, Vallecito CO. Nothing fancy but I'm good with that. I'm familiar with area and it is good exploring. Northeast of Durango.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Climbing and Colorado are one in the same. Climbing, and descending, are the only ways to see the beautiful West.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad