cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Canyon

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be here in just a couple weeks. We are older and won't be going on long steep hikes. We heard flying through the canyon is pretty cool. What would you recommend for us to see/do in this area? Anyone who has flown in the canyon please offer your pros and cons.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
16 REPLIES 16

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
We went to the Grand Canyon about 9 years ago...stayed at Grand Canyon Railway RV Park in Williams and took the train to the Canyon. When you reach the Canyon, you get on a bus that takes you all around. They will also provide a box lunch..sandwich, chips, drinks. The train station is right at the South Rim with breathtaking views and shops. We enjoyed it.And downtown Williams is neat..we ate at a good Mexican restaurant.

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
If on the South Rim the Rim Trail is flat and paved. Easy walk. You can drive the Desert View road between the village and the Watch Tower and stop at the overlooks that are marked with signs. You park and none of them are much of a walk to the overlooks and they are all different and worth seeing.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
...I understand you can no longer drive into the north rim, park outside and ride a bus in? Have a good time

Your statement is confusing. You can drive into the north rim. You can park outside. But to my knowledge, there is no bus or shuttle to take you in... (Nor has there ever been to my knowledge, but my experience does not extend back to 1957 ! :B )
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely go to the Grand Canyon--either North or South. There is no other place on earth like it!
We have been 4 times over the past 16 years.
The north rim in 2007--with a 37 foot 5th wheel we stayed at a rustic RV Park near Jacobs Lake that is still there with full hookups. Yes it is 40 miles to the North Rim one way--we did it several days. We also got a NF map of the area and drove on NF roads to the rim--a really great experience with the September colors in the aspens.
Next trip a few years later, we spent about 5 days on the south rim again in the fall. Helicopter trip across the canyon with a DVD of our flight with our voices on it. Great Ranger shows, campfires, stayed at the RV park on the South Rim.
In 2016 we took a 6 day float trip for 188 miles thru the Grand Canyon. There is virtually no description of that trip--Western River Expeditions was our outfitter--all meals, water, tents, cots, bed rolls were provided along with river guides who knew the geology and history of the GC. The trip was just wonderful in August. We left our 5th wheel in Page, AZ.
Last trip was in 2018, in September, and we stayed 2 nights at the Lodge on the North Rim. It was again wonderful. Tour buses arrived everyday for about 18 hour stay. The tour buses did not go to any overlook away from the Lodge. We went to the overlooks--along with about 4 other travelers! No crowds. We left our 5th wheel in Kanab on that trip and just drove out truck to the park.
Any questions, send we a message.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Definitely wrong. Kanab isn't even the nearest town, that is Jacob Lake which isn't much of a town. Then there is 40 miles or so of National Forest lands before you get to the gate. North Rim has many fewer visitors:

North Rim NPS site
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never been to Zion---but I was told you could no longer drive from Kanab Utah to the North rim. I have not been there for 40 years myself. Sorry if I am wrong. It is a shame how the isolation and beauty of these national treasures is being marginalized.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Take the Hermit Road Shuttle Bus Route its great you can get off and on as you like
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have the time and energy, a trip to the North Rim in September is an option. It's much cooler than the South Rim, and the aspens are changing. Here's a blog post that may be of interest:

North Rim blog post
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Unless it's changed, we drove in the N Rim, and camped ... two years ago.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I understand you can no longer drive into the north rim, park outside and ride a bus in? Have a good time

You are probably thinking of Zion, not the case at Grand Canyon
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
My first visit there was in 1957. I have also spent a night in the bottom after a mule ride down from the north rim. Last time I was there I had a class B and couldn't leave the north rim because I was out of gas. The ranger let me sleep in the gas station. Most of the good times are gone from there now I guess. I understand you can no longer drive into the north rim, park outside and ride a bus in? Have a good time

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
i have flown it in both fixed wing and a helicopter plus visited both sides of the canyon.
both flying the canyon beat visiting the side looking down. you can see more in a couple hours than you would see in weeks on land.
both flights we took were from las vegas .

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
Link to National Park page (includes links for air tours)

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/air-travel.htm

Airport is 7 miles South of Grand Canyon South Rim. It's outside of the park entrance.

1542 Liberator Dr, Grand Canyon Village, AZ 86023 (Tusayan, Arizona)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Bring a chair. Park yourself and watch the colors change. Start before sunup and/or before sunset. If you bicycle, lots of paved trails. Drive to the east entranceโ€ฆslowly. Watch for elk and deer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad