cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

potential new rv resort

GAdawgs0688
Explorer
Explorer
My family is eyeing opening up a few RV parks in the Central Florida. Location or locations have not been decided on definitely. What businesses are *needed* or *preferred* to be near RV parks. When I ask about businesses, Im really looking for businesses needed specifically for RV campers. Im looking for businesses that are preferred and needed, to try to help pick locations. Thank you
17 REPLIES 17

dedmiston
The OP has only had one post, ever, and hasn't returned to his/her own thread. I'm closing this until the OP comes back and joins the conversation.

OP - PM me when you're back.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
wapiticountry wrote:
mdcamping wrote:
GAdawgs0688 wrote:
What businesses are *needed* or *preferred* to be near RV parks. When I ask about businesses, Im really looking for businesses needed specifically for RV campers. Im looking for businesses that are preferred and needed, to try to help pick locations. Thank you

Having a RV service/repair in the area where maybe you can set up a business agreement.

As mentioned, but for us this is very important. Having a decent Grocery store maybe 10 minutes away is a big bonus, especially if your planning a destination type park or similar.

Gas nearby

Mike
I guess different strokes for different folks. We have never considered whether or not an RV repair facility was nearby as a criteria for choosing a park. Same with gas stations and grocery stores. The RV has a 600+ mile range, refrigerator, freezer and storage so those conveniences don't need to be a stone's throw away. Much more important to us is what are the nearby attractions and activities. I.E. what is the reason for going there in the first place.

It's not my criteria either when choosing a rv park, I'm just trying to help the OP. I know of RV service shops where part of their buisness is to travel to local RV parks and do service repair/warranty repair on both permanent and transient rv's. This info might be helpful to the OP

My Tacoma has a 21 gallon fuel tank ๐Ÿ™‚

What we look for is similar to what you look for but I always check the online reviews first before choosing a campground/rv park

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
mdcamping wrote:
GAdawgs0688 wrote:
What businesses are *needed* or *preferred* to be near RV parks. When I ask about businesses, Im really looking for businesses needed specifically for RV campers. Im looking for businesses that are preferred and needed, to try to help pick locations. Thank you

Having a RV service/repair in the area where maybe you can set up a business agreement.

As mentioned, but for us this is very important. Having a decent Grocery store maybe 10 minutes away is a big bonus, especially if your planning a destination type park or similar.

Gas nearby

Mike
I guess different strokes for different folks. We have never considered whether or not an RV repair facility was nearby as a criteria for choosing a park. Same with gas stations and grocery stores. The RV has a 600+ mile range, refrigerator, freezer and storage so those conveniences don't need to be a stone's throw away. Much more important to us is what are the nearby attractions and activities. I.E. what is the reason for going there in the first place.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think the OP is just looking to have suggestions from campers. He will pick and choose among the replies. Each of us has different styles. I'm 90% a boondocker--and in 2019 I paid $15 for campgrounds.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
GAdawgs0688 wrote:

Gas nearby

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^^^^^ Lots of "experts" on here for sure!

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
My advice is to find better advice than on this forum - all you will get here are answers in the form of questions that make assumptions on your wealth, knowledge of building codes, business experience and experience regarding RV's/camping in general. You will be told how expensive it is to put in a septic site, and all the horrors of permitting something like that. You will get several responses asking how far from a major freeway it will be and endless debate on which is better - closer to the interstate for those who want a quick overnight, and those who want peace and quiet. Then, someone will come along and tell you that buying or building a CG is not going to be the cash cow you expect it to be, and that it will not be a vacation.

Good luck in your endeavors - more CG choices are always welcome.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
So what's your build budget and what's your experience running an RV park?
What's your experience Rv'ing?

The fact you are asking this question, suggests there are more important questions to answer first.

Building a new campground is typically well into the 7 figure range with many headaches. What are the nearby amenities while important are among the lesser concerns.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dedmiston
Most Important:

* Gas
* Groceries

Nice to have:

* Propane
* Fire wood

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have seen several 'used to be KOAs" that failed because there was nothing to attract customers locally. Most of what they had was over-nighters traveling and long termers trying to stay afloat.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
Like others, we generally never consider what businesses are near the RV Park. That being said, we would avoid parks that are near obvious businesses that would detract from the park. We wouldn't want to stay at a park next to a steel recycling plant, a sewer treatment plant, a feedlot or a prison.
I doubt it will be possible in most areas of Florida to build a park with recreational amenities that would exceed the amenities currently available. By that I mean you won't be able to build pools better than nearby Waterparks. I doubt any golf course on your property will be better than those accessible to the public, be it regular golf or mini-golf.
Your location will drive your clientele. If you are near Disneyland, expect a park full of Disney visitors. If you are next door to a strip club, expect a lot of vans with dark tinted windows. If you want to build in a very rural area, expect your customer base to be budget oriented. Likewise, if you build oceanfront on Miami Beach don't market to the "I'll never pay more than $25.00 a night" crowd unless you want to lose a whole lot of money. Good Luck.

jbc28
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO, a "RV resort" needs to be close to a tourist attraction or interesting city or something. We typically have no desire to stay at a resort in the middle of BFE. A stopover campground should be close to the interstate and have easy access.
2018 F450 Lariat Ultimate
2019 Momentum 381M

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have never looked to see what businesses are close by, I look for things to do. In FL, I look for beach/bay proximity, or we have enjoyed the different springs. We are still working and have kids, so we are vacationers. We try to make sure we have everything we need so we donโ€™t Easter vacation time at a store.
If you are catering to long term campers, it may be a concern.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Before you do anything. Check local zoning. Then get an engineers estimate for a sewer treatment plan for the size park you want. Septic ain't gonna cut it. Then get an Estimate from Florida Power and Light as to bringing Electric power to the site.Then there is the cost of WATER. Government red tape will bury you. You will find this to be a VERY expensive proposition. Better off to go buy an existing park if that is what turns your crank.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.