cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggestions for rest of Florida trip in Feb

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
DH and I are basically touring Florida in February. So far so good with reservations! Will be in J'Ville, St Augustine, Stuart, over to FT Myers and then to Tampa/ST Pete - mostly using the RV to visit friends all over the state. Where to next? We have at least 3 more weeks to wander! Have been to Pensacola area (open to any other suggestions on the panhandle) and don't want to do Disney at this time. I am a history buff and DH goes along with almost anything. We are NOT into a lot of outdoors activities, but will walk for a purpose! Will be wandering in a 34'Class A with toad. Would like to make a 'loop' that will take us back towards home in Virginia . Thought about going up into Georgia, but not sure where to go there. Wondered about Atlanta, but many have suggested it's too congested and not worth a visit. Open to any places you may have gone along the way that you found worth a stop. Campground suggestions also welcome. Thanks in advance. Pam Hyatt
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!
27 REPLIES 27

mustard
Explorer
Explorer
Try the Ford/Edison museum in Ft Myers. Also, alligators in Myaka State Park east of Sarasota. Ringling Museum in Sarasota.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can choose to live or rot waiting. I choose to live and have been to FL twice in the past year. Going to MD in the morning and biggest worry will be finding some place to eat. By the way I am the guy that took my wife and 2 year old daughter to Vietnam to work in 1967. Life goes on!

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
fla-gypsy wrote:
The death of all Floridians from Covid plague has been greatly exaggerated and we are fine here

๐Ÿ™‚
Yep. So stay away if you don't like it. More room for us.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
The death of all Floridians from Covid plague has been greatly exaggerated and we are fine here
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
wintersun wrote:
I take it that you have both had the two coronovirus vaccinations and your wills completed. Florida is the wild wild west when it comes to people not isolating and refusing to wear masks and a governor that uses the police like his private army. My wife and I had a trip planned to Florida for April ofd 2020 but after all that has happened in the past year we will be avoiding it like the plague.

I'm not worried, I don't have 2.4 comorbidities.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
I take it that you have both had the two coronovirus vaccinations and your wills completed. Florida is the wild wild west when it comes to people not isolating and refusing to wear masks and a governor that uses the police like his private army. My wife and I had a trip planned to Florida for April ofd 2020 but after all that has happened in the past year we will be avoiding it like the plague.

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone!
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Florida in December.

In Daytona, take a raceway tour.

Eat at Florida Seafood at Cocoa Beach

Get some fresh fruit or veggies at the Plant City Farmers Market

We stopped overnight at some of the roadside rests in Florida and they are nice.

Stop at the Welcome centers on your way into the state
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
If you are in no hurry check out Tamiami Trail, Route 41, at the south end of Florida. Halfway across is some kind of an alligator sanctuary where you get your fill of them; rather up close but safe.
Here is one website that has the things to see/do on Route 41: https://withnorwegianeyes.com/17-attractions-along-tamiami-trail/
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
The fort on Amelia Island is worth an overnight stay.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a great trip! We do a yearly trip down to the Gulf Coast every February from Maryland. We stop in Fayetteville, NC the first night, then head to Savannah, GA. Spend a couple or 3 nights in Savannah enjoying the beautiful city and now have friends that live nearby. Then we continue down to our beautiful undisclosed location in Florida, but near Tampa. My in-laws spend 2 months in the same campground and my parents rent a house on the island a couple miles away. The kids get to enjoy 2 weeks with their grandparents at the beach, riding bikes, camping, etc.

Coming home we are stopping in St Augustine for 1 or 2 days this year (do that every 4 years or so), then we head up to Charleston, SC for a couple days. The last night we drive up to RV Crossroads at the NC/VA line or a little further into Emporia, VA. Our last day is a 2-3 hour drive home.

Lots of beautiful older cities with rich history, and the longest day is about a 6 hour drive, depending upon traffic and stops. We have an 8 year old, 6 year old and 2 year old and 3 older dogs, so we stop rather frequently for potty breaks or to stretch legs. We find that these are about as long a distance as we can comfortably go right now and it breaks it up to some great stops along the way.

I can also recommend Jekyll Island in Georgia as a beautiful place to stop. There is a nice campground in Brunswick, Coastal Georgia Campground, with easy access to Jekyll Island and St Simons.

Haven't been up to Pensacola yet, but I've heard its very nice up there. Just be advised that the further north you go in February, the cooler it will be (air and water temps). Its usually in the mid to upper 70s in Tampa area, but if the sun is out it feels even warmer. Further up the coast will be cooler.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Might want to check out some of the springs... Salt Springs Rec Area is one of my favorites... they have FHU. Weeki Watchie is pretty cool,old school Florida. Cedar Key is a laid back town. Check out Low Key Hideaway at Cedar key---- they have about 6 FHU sites
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
The area between St Augustine and Stuart has many nice areas to while away a week or so as you head south. The Ocala area is another great option. Someone mentioned Silver Spring State Park. I second that.
You could head over to Fort Clinch state park on Amelia Island as you start to head home.
There is a great GA state park in St Mary's GA, or hit Savannah. Lots to do there. Jekyll Island is along that area as well but tough to get into.
Charleston will keep you busy for a while, or Myrtle Beach.
Have a great trip.
Puma 30RKSS

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.floridastateparks.org/parks-and-trails/dade-battlefield-historic-state-park

This is history and started the 2nd Seminole War. Unfortunately I see the museum is closed due to covid.