cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Summer camping in Florida

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Ah, there is nothing like it. A week at the serenity of Salt Springs and that 72* water on a 90+ day, the Dip in the Rainbow River or a float trip before going out for seafood and then that week at Grayton Beach at one the most beautiful beaches on earth. Stunning sunsets, salt water so calm it looks like a lake and dining choices that never end. All while enjoying the company of friends around a campfire each night. Vacation can't come fast enough. Summer has returned to Florida
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)
47 REPLIES 47

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Luke Porter,

Last time I'd seen the list, there were over 50 CG's that were closed during the summer months in Florida but I don't remember the exact number so I can't give it. It was at an "association meeting" I was at with a family member who is a CG owner in Florida. Many were not "snowbird" CG's either and the low occupancy numbers plus the much higher use of electric added up to losing money by not closing down and not needing any of the employees either who also have to be paid. Strictly a smart business decision based on the facts and lower revenue during the hot summer months.

Another comment made was that it also gives time to do repairs needed and altering sites when needed. Not worth discussing it with all the wish "they knew it all" blowhard posters on this forum thread! Ignorance is bliss!

Guess you'll know which ones are closed when you get an answering machine or no answer at all when you call them or they tell you they are closed for XXX! Not going to comment further as it doesn't even concern me personally. Seems, I shouldn't have even named one of them, a very nice well kept CG! Just not worth it! End of topic for me!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
I am partial to Rainbow Springs but Salt Springs is nice too.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
fla-gypsy wrote:
JoeH wrote:
I haven't been to Salt Springs in about 3 years. Back then we had a 36ft MH and toad which would fit nicely on the site. Now we have a 43 mh and toad. reserveamerica says the sites are 40'. With the rear overhang, I should be able to get the MH on the site and still be on the pavement and not be hanging into the road. I had heard that a new mgmt company had taken over and were sticklers for the rules... do you think I'd have any issue there ? Would they refuse me entry due to the size of the MH ? It's great walking from the campsite to the spring and enjoying mother nature's A/C !

You'll be fine, they tend to get snippy from year to year about certain rules but I've never been unable to get along with them. The max length does not include the driveway portion in most cases. I can park my crew cab F-250 and my 32' TT with no problem on a site.

Thanks-- we'll get back over there soon.
regarding the "closed parks in the summer", I've yet to come across one. Maybe the one mentioned does indeed close as it is just for snowbirds, but we haven't had that situation with any of the parks we visit here in FL.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
I'll give you just one name of just one of the many RV parks closed in the area during the summer months.

Why not name the others that you know of?
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
Mark and Linda,

We haven't had any problem using our Verizon cells or our Verizon Jet Pack MIFI hot spot WIFI in or near Salt Springs or Juniper Springs either. ATT doesn't work at all in that area.

We noticed it with our ATT Iphones...we don't camp any down there, we have a house in Ocala plus one here in TN. We do visit several of the Springs and see what is going on. We noticed our coverage went no service when driving through on our way to St. Augustine a few times.
Mark

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Air conditioning is a marvelous invention. DR. John Gorrie is our hero!

Yes, he is, and I attended Gorrie Junior High School in Jacksonville.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
So a single park that is in business solely to serve snowbirds closes in the summer and it's too hot to camp in Florida in the summer and the campgrounds close up its so bad. That's funny and news to us native Floridians who camp year round. I guess we are just clever enough to park the camper under a shade tree and bring fans when not in the water. Air conditioning is a marvelous invention. DR. John Gorrie is our hero!
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I really enjoy reading the posts by snowbirds complaining that everything in south Florida is booked up or too expensive. The majority want to be south of the I4 corridor for the warmer temps so naturally that drives up prices. My argument is 65 degrees for the high in the northern part of the state is still warmer than the 10 degrees they're trying to escape up north. There are other places to go to escape the cold besides Florida.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
It's great to have less competition for camp sites now. April and May are wonderful here - excellent weather, snowbirds gone and kids still in school.

I have to laugh at the dissing of my state's summer temperatures. I grew up in Washington, DC, where the bugs, heat and humidity made it a "hardship" posting before the days of air conditioning. Also lived on the coast of NC where we used our back yard to eat out exactly one time in 8 years - too hot, humid, and buggy.

Unfortunately DC and most northern states do not have our nifty Florida home feature, the "Lanai cage" which keeps out bugs so you can sit outside all year if you wish. I always thought those screened cages looked kind of dorky but now I love it.

We love the warm temps because then we can really enjoy Florida without all the snowbird traffic. We never get in the ocean or our pool from November through April. Water's too cold. In the summer, it's wonderful.

Ken_O
Explorer
Explorer
I winter in Palm Bay, central FL on the east coast, looking at the Weather.com climate for it, doesn't look all that bad. The all time high record was 102, I could only find a couple days it got that high, and it was many years ago. I didn't do a real in depth, I just searched July and August for all time records for each day.

Scroll down to "Palm Bay Climate". Here is the link:
Palm Bay Climate
Silverado 250HD '07 Duramax
2017 Jayflight 21QB

cjoseph
Explorer
Explorer
We are headed down to Florida for three weeks this summer. HEAT? What heat? LOL

The best way to conquer the heat is to stay in the water. That is what we like to do and that is why we come to Florida!

We were annual visitors to the mid-Atlantic beaches for years. Once we visited the Keys, we were hooked. Now, we are discovering many of the great beaches with that beautiful clear blue water in Florida. As far as heat goes, I can't recall much difference between coastal Florida and Myrtle Beach, for instance. Maybe I'm wrong?

For now, I'm glad the snowbirds leave. Give me 10 or 15 years and that will change. I hope to be one of them!
Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
fla-gypsy wrote:
1ofmany wrote:
90 degrees in Florida in the summer???? Must be a cloudy day with a cold front moving through!!!! Enjoy.

Now I said "90+". It's those 90/90 days (Temp/Humidity) that are tough.
I enjoyed camping at Juniper and Alexander springs in the winter, Salt Springs looked crowded. One year my water bottle froze overnight but still enjoyed snorkeling in the 72 degree water the next day. Do you camp all summer in these temps? or only at camp sites with electric hookups? I have stayed in the Caribbean scuba diving without AC, and I know that after 3 dives with no wet suit sleeping with just a fan was ok.

johnhicks wrote:
OK..a reviewer on rvparkreviews.com wrote that Old Town Campground & Retreat closes for the summer. There's nothing on the CG's generic reservation-system website that mentions it.

It's the first CG in Florida I've heard of that closes for summer. Odd.

It probably caters to snowbirds only. Long term rentals only, not a real "campground" Campgrounds in Florida are busy year round. There might be some that only opens in the winter cause they cater to Snowbirds only and offer no more than a hook up but to call them a campground is ridiculous.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
OK..a reviewer on rvparkreviews.com wrote that Old Town Campground & Retreat closes for the summer. There's nothing on the CG's generic reservation-system website that mentions it.

It's the first CG in Florida I've heard of that closes for summer. Odd.
-jbh-