cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED strip lighting with automatic door switch

mielock
Explorer
Explorer
It hit me one day that since the LED lighting operates with 12 VDC, adding a simple micro-switch to the door would eliminate the need for a wall switch. So I picked up the micro-switches from Radio Shack for $3.49/each and tapped an always nearby 12 VDC source, and now I have lights that turn on/off as the door opens/closes. If you look closely, you can see the switches mounted at the top side, with all wiring tucked neatly away never to be seen.

2006 Dodge 2500 Diesel
2011 Sabre 31RETS
16 REPLIES 16

dannytas
Explorer
Explorer
I'm stealing this...thanks...
2014 Keystone Springdale 202QBWE
1998 Dodge 1500 Club Cab, 4x4, 5.9 magnum
DW-Lynn
BigDog-Kelley
LittleDog-Kroozer
LittleCats-Pokie and Dottie

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Great project. Out new 5er has a type of rope light at the head of the bed which makes a great light when you want something on but not bright. After going to bed one night and before turning it off I was looking at it thinking about uses in other places.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
popeyemth wrote:
Thanks
I was leary of eBay China stuff

Before I put out $70 for the Home Depot strip, I would at least look at what is available on eBay, and compare prices.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
popeyemth wrote:
Thanks

Most likely the Home Depot stuff and the LED sellers items in the US are made in China anyway. All of the LED's a bought for my TT were shipped directly from China. Only 2 SMD panels have failed in 2 years. Quality control is a gamble but the cost has been worth it to me.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

mielock
Explorer
Explorer
LED lighting strips can be purchased from a variety of places, mostly online. I install under-cabinet lighting for a living, so I get the scraps left over from my jobs, but I purchase mine online from Home Depot because it has a higher lumen rating, plus it's easy to solder. The important thing is to make sure it's 12 VDC and not 24 VDC. You can find all kinds of LED strip lighting online in ways that are certain to confuse most of us.
2006 Dodge 2500 Diesel
2011 Sabre 31RETS

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Where does one get the strip lights?
Thanks,Mike
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Great idea!
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job. I'm really impressed you found something at Radio Shack ๐Ÿ˜‰
-- Chris Bryant

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the switches and LED's laying around for months to do the same thing.

Nice job!

Jose

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Looks nice indeed.

I'd be afraid of absentmindedly putting the milk and leftovers in the pantry rather than the fridge if mine were lit like this. On the other hand, having the outside storage compartment lights turn on and off automatically would be fantastically handy. Hmmm....

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
magnetic switches work well for this type of application also.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
the IKEA light strips I used to replace our bedroom shelf light would be perfect for thin type of installation. White light strips with an extra set of connectors would serve very well also.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Looks great. Thanks for the idea and the photos.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!