cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Liquid Roof primer

Motor_City_Swag
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2000 Bounder with a Alpha white rubber roof, has anyone used the primer paint along with liquid roof epdm coating. I am interested in knowing more about the primer application and how the rubber roof application worked with it. Also does anyone know why Alpha roofs needs a primer first? My roof is in need of recoating and I am a bit confused about this product and don't want to damage my roof.

Motor City Swagman 2000 Bounder 36S
Ford V-10, Banks Power Pack w/ TC,
BrakeBuddy,Davis Tru Trac,Safe T Plus,Aventa II & Xplorer Sport Trac

:W
12 REPLIES 12

J_Walker
Explorer
Explorer
I coated my EPDM roof with Liquid Roof from this company. I don't have an Alpha EPDM roof but I did not use a primer. I would contact the company and ask about a primer on the Alpha roof. I feel sure that you don't need a primer.
Jim Walker
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2, 6.7 Cummins, 2100 Allison
2009 Malibu

Chopperbob
Explorer
Explorer
I used Bus Kote on safari trek and tioga rubber.
Both worked Great. They have many products
For any app.
Bob

Tumbleweeds
Explorer
Explorer
busyguy,
Spelling is wrong, try "JetCoat elastomeric", it is NOT an edpm coating but can be used over them. Personal experience of 40 years in the construction industry, epdm is the only way to go, everything else fails in 3-5 years. Your results may very.
Tom_J

busyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Erie
I looked for the JetCoat elastonic epdm paint at Lowe's and Home Depot. Neither one here in Abilene, Tx has it listed. Will call them in the morning and find the dealer closest to here.
How many coats did you put on? I did mine 7 years ago and it has turned a grayish color and looks bad. Doesn't leak but just want to get it white again for heat prevention.
Let me know where you got it if different than Lowes or HD
Thanks
Busyguy

JimMartin
Explorer
Explorer
Erie Tom wrote:
Wanted to recoat my roof and talked to an experienced camper and he put me on to the JETCOAT Elastonic EDPM paint at Lowe's ,,,,or Home Depot.

Cleaned the roof really good ad put three coats on. Then sealed the sides with The tape from DAP and then painted that inner seam. Very pleased with the final outcome.

Do not know how to post a pic here but send me an address and will email you before and after

Yes please send me some pictures to jimmartin12@yahoo.com
2003 Georgie Boy Pursuit 35', V10 F53 Chassis

Erie_Tom
Explorer
Explorer
Wanted to recoat my roof and talked to an experienced camper and he put me on to the JETCOAT Elastonic EDPM paint at Lowe's ,,,,or Home Depot.

Cleaned the roof really good ad put three coats on. Then sealed the sides with The tape from DAP and then painted that inner seam. Very pleased with the final outcome.

Do not know how to post a pic here but send me an address and will email you before and after
Erie Tom N8UAZ (Better Half Pat)
Ohio

Winter Steelhead Country

25' Innsbruck 5ver
2003 GMC 2500HD

2x4

. Extcab SB Duramax/Allison
Reese Kwik Slide Hitch
Prodigy
Ham radio listen to 146.52 simplex. HF 20M and 40M mobile

Retired and free as a bird

:B

JimMartin
Explorer
Explorer
Can Bus-Kote be applied over my factory EPDM roofing?
2003 Georgie Boy Pursuit 35', V10 F53 Chassis

Chopperbob
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Bus Kote. I've done two mh roofs so far.
Works really good. One coat primer, two top coats.
NASA uses it. From Florida.
Bob

Motor_City_Swag
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, we go to Clermont, FL

Queens_Carriage
Explorer
Explorer
It was the manufacturer that said it would melt the alpha roof. The primer will be ok with the dew. When you do the liquid roof. Try to do it early in the morning. Try to put in direct sun when done. In the first few hours after applying dirt or leaves will stick. The leave's will pull off, dirt is forever. Once it skins over you are ok. Takes about 3 days to fully cure. When you go to FL what part of the state do you go to?

Motor_City_Swag
Explorer
Explorer
Queens Carriage wrote:
If you have a alpha roof and you don't use primer, the liquid roof will melt the alpha brand. Putting on the primer was no problem. The liquid roof sets up fast so be prepared. When you order order a 1 gallon to do the edges and around the vents. then mix the big bucket it is thicker than they say. I used a 12" wide drywall knife for most of it. Before you start have several different methods to apply. That way you can use what works best for you. Because once you mix you are committed.

Melt the alpha roof? WOW, I thought it was a bonding problem that the primer barrier corrects. Anyways I have a gallon of primer in 4 2 part cans (A & B) that mixes together and the can says a 15 minute life. I plan to mix it 1 QT at a time and do all the edges and roof openings first with a brush then mix the rest and roll the rest of the roof. I am working outside and wonder if the overnight dew that accumulates on the roof will be a problem with the primer? What do you think?

Queens_Carriage
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a alpha roof and you don't use primer, the liquid roof will melt the alpha brand. Putting on the primer was no problem. The liquid roof sets up fast so be prepared. When you order order a 1 gallon to do the edges and around the vents. then mix the big bucket it is thicker than they say. I used a 12" wide drywall knife for most of it. Before you start have several different methods to apply. That way you can use what works best for you. Because once you mix you are committed.